Weird Select object problem

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by fig000, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. fig000

    fig000 Guest

    Hi,

    I have an asp form which, against my better judgement, I filled with
    seven select objects, a couple of text boxes, and seven checkboxes.
    The form also passes upwards of 20 querystrings.

    The problem is that sometimes the form sometimes calls itself (e.g.
    in case of errors). It ends up with all the query strings it passed
    itself and redraws itself. What's happening is that one or more of the
    selects will have the following problem:

    The usual behavior for select objects is that you can click on it,
    expand the data in it and then hit a letter key that will bring you to
    the first item that starts with that letter.

    In this case, I click on the select, it opens up, I hit a letter key
    and nothing happens at all. Oddly when I click again and the select
    "closes" (meaning that you only see one line of data) it will react as
    it should when I hit a letter key.

    I experimented with this and found that, if I limited the number of
    entries in the select below a certain number (which varies) it will
    work as expected. Once I exceed this number, the I can expand the list
    but it won't respond when a letter key is hit. This happens randomly
    to some extent, though I do think it gets worse after the screen first
    comes up.

    My suspicion is that I've got too many objects on the screen along
    with two many querystring variables (however I've read in the
    newsgroups that a POST has no data limit).

    This isn't a big deal to me (I figure you can use the mouse in any
    case) but it is to some of my users. Any help would be appreciated.

    Neil
    fig000, Apr 19, 2004

  2. fig000

    Larry Bud Guest

    > In this case, I click on the select, it opens up, I hit a letter key
    > and nothing happens at all. Oddly when I click again and the select
    > "closes" (meaning that you only see one line of data) it will react as
    > it should when I hit a letter key.

    > My suspicion is that I've got too many objects on the screen along
    > with two many querystring variables (however I've read in the
    > newsgroups that a POST has no data limit).

    But this has nothing to do with ASP. The problem you're having is
    with the browser. Seems to me your drop downs might have some HTML
    coding problems associated with them that's giving them odd behavior.
    Any special characters in those drop downs, such as < or > chars?
    Larry Bud, Apr 20, 2004

  3. fig000

    fig000 Guest

    Larry,

    Thanks for answering. The fact that it works when I limit the
    number of entries leads me to believe that there is something in my
    asp code that makes this happen. I even tried changing which entries
    were in the list (thinking that it was, as you suggested, something in
    the data going into the drop down). This didn't help.

    There are no weird characters in this drop down that I can see. I
    realize that the browser may be interpreting something that I have
    generated from asp and that's causing the problem but I can't change
    the browser :). So I guess it's something in the asp code causing it
    and that's what I have to change. Unless there's a bug in the browser
    which I doubt.

    Neil

    fig000, Apr 20, 2004
  4. fig000

    roger Guest

    "fig000" wrote

    > There are no weird characters in this drop down that I can see. I
    > realize that the browser may be interpreting something that I have
    > generated from asp and that's causing the problem but I can't change
    > the browser :). So I guess it's something in the asp code causing it
    > and that's what I have to change. Unless there's a bug in the browser
    > which I doubt.

    No, Larry's right, It's a browser problem.

    Although, as you say, it's probably your ASP that is
    writing junk data, or exposing a feature/bug in the browser.

    Have you tried copying the HTML from one of the offending
    select boxes and pasting it into a blank page?

    --
    roger
    roger, Apr 21, 2004
  5. fig000

    fig000 Guest

    Roger,

    Thanks for answering; I appreciate anyone helping me tackle this. I
    guess what I meant was that only changing the asp can solve the
    problem. I find this amusing but are you saying that it might be a bug
    in the browser?

    Anyway, this is a very complicated page. As I mentioned earlier
    there are a lot of objects a few tables, and some querystrings. I
    actually went through the code and made sure there were no unbalanced
    tds or trs and I still had the problem. I also limited the number of
    entries in the select and found that if it was below a certain number
    my problem went away.

    I did strip out all extraneous code (other than the select) and the
    problem went away. In that process I found some weird things such as:
    when I got rid of a small table (containing one text string I was
    using in a title) the problem went away. This table was miles away
    from the offending <select>. I tried randomly removing lines of code
    that also didn't directly affect the select and, sometimes, the
    problem would go away.

    I am somewhat at a loss and am beginning to feel more comfortable
    with the idea that I might have just done the wrong combination of
    things that found the dark underbelly of the browser.

    It's a small problem but I do plan to rip everything apart and start
    from scratch. I'd still appreciate any advice.

    Neil

    Neil

    fig000, Apr 21, 2004
  6. fig000

    roger Guest

    "fig000" wrote
    > Thanks for answering; I appreciate anyone helping me tackle this. I
    > guess what I meant was that only changing the asp can solve the
    > problem. I find this amusing but are you saying that it might be a bug
    > in the browser?

    Hello Neil,

    Try the following -

    Open your page in the browser, and verify that the page has the problem.

    Save it as 'test.htm'.

    Open test.htm with the browser, does the page still have the problem?

    If so, it's definitely not an ASP problem.

    Start cutting out blocks of HTML, to try and leave just the offending
    <select> box.

    At each stage test the file in the browser, if the problem still exists then
    save the file as test2.htm, test3.htm etc.

    If the problem disappears, then go back a stage by opening the last saved
    file.

    Once test.htm gets small enough the problem may become apparent.

    If not then download a couple of browsers, and open the page in them.

    If the problem occurs in only one browser, then ask your question in a news
    group devoted to that browser.

    Tell them your browser version, and post the cut down HTML as an example.

    If the problem occurs in all browsers, then ask your question in a group
    devoted to HTML.

    Tell them your browser version, and post the cut down HTML as an example.

    Probably, you will identify a problem with HTML, and will realise that your
    ASP code is not producing what you think it should.

    If so, cut out the offending ASP and post it here as an example. (But don't
    bother about the browser version).

    --
    roger
    roger, Apr 22, 2004