weird white (orange) spaces

dorayme

julian_m said:
I made a small example which shows a problem that I'm having with IE

Where does those orange spaces come from????

http://www.msys.com.ar/index0324.php

Note (only visible with msIE )

regards - jm

Well, you must know you have orange in the background for things
from your css, take a look. When your "background: orange;" is
removed, the orange goes. As to why only in IE, you may need to
set margins and paddings to 0 or something like this, I am not
sure and work on a Mac....

julian_m

dorayme said:
Well, you must know you have orange in the background for things
from your css, take a look.

Yes, It is intetionally to see the problem clear, note that in the
subject itself, I put "orange".
The problem is about weird spaces which aren't visible on ff, opera and
safari (as you told me before, I think you did)

As to why only in IE, you may need to
set margins and paddings to 0 or something like this,

That's the key, but I'm unable to fix it. I tried a lot of
combinations. That's why I'm here, you know...

regards - jm

Jukka K. Korpela

julian_m said:
Yes, It is intetionally to see the problem clear, note that in the
subject itself, I put "orange".

The name orange is an unfortunate choice, since it is not a defined name
by CSS 1.0 and CSS 2.0 specifications, so a standards-conforming browser
would ignore. In practice, there is no such browser, but still.
The problem is about weird spaces which aren't visible on ff, opera and
safari (as you told me before, I think you did)

On IE 7 beta 2 preview, I see the orange squares, then they are replaced
by the rounded corners. The CSS code looks complicated, so I'm not sure
what's going on, but quite understandably it may take a little time
before the images are loaded.

kchayka

Jukka said:
The name orange is an unfortunate choice, since it is not a defined name
by CSS 1.0 and CSS 2.0 specifications,

It is, however, one of the well-established X11 color names, which are
supported by many browsers, even Netscape 4.x.

IIRC, X11 color names are included in the CSS 3 spec.

Alan J. Flavell

It is, however, one of the well-established X11 color names, which
are supported by many browsers, even Netscape 4.x.

That's as may be, but Jukka's advice is good: a browser has every
right to ignore it, supported by the CSS recommendations on error
handling.
IIRC, X11 color names are included in the CSS 3 spec.

It's about compatibility. Be conservative in what you offer, and
liberal in what you accept. In CSS terms, that means CSS authors
should not offer newly-defined stuff unless willing to cope with the
consequences of it being ignored, whereas developers of software
should implement newly-defined stuff as soon as possible, while still
following the CSS mandates and guidelines about ignoring stuff that
they don't understand (i.e DON'T try to guess what the author might
have meant, as the consequences can be disastrous).

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Alan J. Flavell quothed:
That's as may be, but Jukka's advice is good: a browser has every
right to ignore it, supported by the CSS recommendations on error
handling.

It's about compatibility. Be conservative in what you offer, and
liberal in what you accept. In CSS terms, that means CSS authors
should not offer newly-defined stuff unless willing to cope with the
consequences of it being ignored, whereas developers of software
should implement newly-defined stuff as soon as possible, while still
following the CSS mandates and guidelines about ignoring stuff that
they don't understand (i.e DON'T try to guess what the author might
have meant, as the consequences can be disastrous).

I was playing around with something like this the other day:

....in an attempt to avoid using .m3u redirection files. IE6 seemed to
try to open it as an image file in a new window! (FWIW, it worked in
Gecko and Opera offered a disappointing Open/Save dialog.)

julian_m

kchayka said:
Your CSS does seem overly complicated. Why not try some templates that
are already well-tested? You can at least use them as an educational
tool to see how you might improve (and simplify) your own version.
<URL:http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=RoundedCorners>

Great link.
I'm making an even smaller example than I posted yesterday. I can't
believe that nobody here can fix it. It is very disappointing all the
issues regard compabilities among browsers. isn't it?

regards - jm

kchayka

Alan said:
CSS authors
should not offer newly-defined stuff unless willing to cope with the
consequences of it being ignored,

I totally agree. I just mentioned the X11 colors because they've been
around and fairly well supported for eons, even if they haven't been
official.

Frankly, I don't know why people want to use names in the first place,
especially if they're doing any graphics as part of the design or
looking for appropriate complementary colors. Numeric values are the
only way to go, AFAIC.

kchayka

julian_m said:
I can't believe that nobody here can fix it.

I don't think the issue is that nobody here *can* fix it, but that
nobody wants to try to make your particular CSS work. Your code was
unnecessarily complex. I didn't think it was worth trying to fix.

I could easily have rewritten the code for you, but I hate spoon-feeding
anyone. :) You will learn more by studying different examples and
experimenting yourself, anyway. The link I posted will get you started.

julian_m

kchayka said:
I don't think the issue is that nobody here *can* fix it, but that
nobody wants to try to make your particular CSS work.

Of course! That's why I'm writing a new example much more simple...
If you can, please give it a look. (I'll post it under the subject:
"IE error, simple code)
Your code was
unnecessarily complex. I didn't think it was worth trying to fix.

Yes, it's complex, but I've to say that it's automatically made by PHP
(both html and css).
I could easily have rewritten the code for you, but I hate spoon-feeding
anyone. :)

; )
The link I posted will get you started.

It was good, really good.

regards - jm

Jukka K. Korpela

julian_m said:
Of course! That's why I'm writing a new example much more simple...
If you can, please give it a look. (I'll post it under the subject:
"IE error, simple code)

That was not constructive. You are splitting the thread, and the new
Subject line is even more clueless than the current one. Neither of them
gives any real hint of the topic, except a misleading one (like orange
being relevant here).

Try hiring someone to solve your problem. Then you can require (up to a
point) her or him to try to find a way through obscurities and sloppy
formulations. HTH.
Yes, it's complex, but I've to say that it's automatically made by PHP
(both html and css).

Blaim PHP. Or Canada.

Jukka K. Korpela

kchayka said:
IIRC, X11 color names are included in the CSS 3 spec.

There is no CSS 3 spec, only a collection of drafts and sketches, all of
which say that it is inappropriate to cite them as other than work in
progress.