weird window.open in Netscape 7.1

ken quirici

Hi,

I'm a beginner working thru the javascript tutorial at htmlgoodies.com.

The following works on netscape 7.1 and IE:
"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Testing html and javascript</TITLE>
<script type="text/javascript">
function open_win()
{
window.open("opened.html","joe",config="height=300,width=300");
}
</script>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<H1>TESTBED</H1>
<form>
<input type="button" value = "Open Window"
onClick = "open_win()">
</form>
</BODY>
</HTML>
The following works on IE but not netscape 7.1 (it brings up the main window
but not the one window.open is supposed to open).
"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Testing html and javascript</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<H1>TESTBED</H1>
<script type="text/javascript">
window.open("opened.html","joe",config="height=300,width=300")
</script>
</BODY>
</HTML>
I hope this isn't something really obvious.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Ken

Martin Honnen

ken quirici wrote:

The following works on IE but not netscape 7.1 (it brings up the main window
but not the one window.open is supposed to open).
"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Testing html and javascript</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<H1>TESTBED</H1>
<script type="text/javascript">
window.open("opened.html","joe",config="height=300,width=300")
</script>
</BODY>
</HTML>
I hope this isn't something really obvious.

What am I missing?

As a lot of web sites use window.open to open popup windows with ads or
other things the browser user is not interested in newer browsers like
Netscape 7.1 can be configured to block unrequested popup windows opened
by window.open. IE 6 SP 2 (or maybe IE 6 as patched by Windows XP SP 2)
will also allow users to block unrequested popup windows.

If it is your Netscape browser you want to reconfigure look under
Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Popup Windows
where you can either allow all popups or you can setup a list of sites
from which to allow popup windows.

ken quirici

Hi Martin,

That worked! Thanks a lot - that was holding up the
path of progress. :)

Ken Quirici