===Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this first.

Discussion in 'C++' started by Shiva, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Shiva

    Shiva Guest

    Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this first.

    This post is intended to give the new reader an introduction to reading
    and posting in this newsgroup. We respectfully request that you read
    all the way through this post, as it helps make for a more pleasant
    and useful group for everyone.

    First of all, please keep in mind that comp.lang.c++ is a group for discussion
    of general issues of the C++ programming language, as defined by the ANSI/ISO
    language standard. If you have a problem that is specific to a particular system
    or compiler, you are much more likely to get complete and accurate answers in a
    group that specializes in your platform. A listing of some newsgroups is given
    at the end of this post.

    The FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) list has a wealth of information for
    both the new and veteran C++ programmer. No matter what your experience
    level, you are encouraged to read the entire list, if only to familiarize
    yourself with what answers are available to minimize redundant replies.
    The comp.lang.c++ FAQ is available at http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/

    If the FAQ list does not help, then many regular readers of this group
    are happy to assist with problems of standard C++. We have only a few
    requests that we ask be adhered to, for the benefit of all:

    * Please put a short summary in the subject line. Descriptions such as
    "HELP!!!!!!" are not helpful, and many regular posters ignore such
    requests. A good example is, "Problem with Virtual Functions."

    * State the question or the problem clearly and concisely. Describe what
    you are trying to do, and the problem you are running into. Include all
    relevant error messages.

    * Include the smallest, complete and compilable program that exhibits your
    problem. As a rule, posters in comp.lang.c++ will not do homework, but will
    give helpful hints if you have shown some willingness to try a solution.

    * comp.lang.c++ is forum for discussion, and as such some regular posters do
    not give E-mail replies. Very often follow-ups to postings have corrections,
    so plan on taking part in the discussion if you post a question. If you
    do receive e-mail replies, it is considered polite to post a summary.

    * Don't post in HTML format. Many readers of this newsgroup don't use
    newsreaders which can handle HTML postings.

    * If you have to include source code in your post, include the
    source in the message body. Don't use attachments. A lot
    of contributors to this newsgroup won't even notice the existence
    of attachments or won't open them. You try to get any help
    you can get, don't you?

    Some netiquette topics which frequently crop up on comp.lang.c++ are
    also answered in the FAQ.

    * Should I post job advertisements and/or resumes on comp.lang.c++?

    * What if I really need a job; should I post my resume on comp.lang.c++?
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.10

    * What should I do to someone who posts something off-topic?
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.11

    A note on comp.lang.c++ etiquette: Accuracy is valued very highly in this
    newsgroup; therefore posts are frequently corrected, sometimes perhaps
    too harshly, and often to the annoyance of new posters who consider the
    correction trivial. Do not take it personally; the best way to fit in
    with comp.lang.c++ is to express gratitude for the correction, move on,
    and be more careful next time.

    This is a very busy group, so these requests are designed to make it as
    pleasant and efficient an experience as possible. We hope it proves
    a valuable commodity to you.

    A list of some Newsgroups :
    Languages and Programming
    -------------------------
    comp.lang.c The C Programming Language
    comp.lang.asm.x86 x86 assembly language programming
    comp.programming Non-language specific programming
    comp.graphics.algorithms Issues of computer graphics

    Operating Systems
    -----------------
    comp.os.msdos.programmer DOS, BIOS, Memory Models, interrupts,
    screen handling, hardware
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 MS/Windows: Mice, DLLs, hardware
    comp.os.os2.programmer.misc OS/2 Programming
    comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc Macintosh Programming
    comp.unix.programmer General Unix: processes, pipes, POSIX,
    curses, sockets
    comp.unix.[vendor] Various Unix vendors

    Microsoft VC++
    -------------
    microsoft.public.vc.language VC++ issues
    microsoft.public.vc.mfc MFC Issues

    Borland C++ Builder
    borland.public.cppbuilder.language Borland C++ Builder
    borland.public.cpp.language

    -Shiva
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/
    A copy of this is kept at http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt