Well, I'd like some opinions on my code

xeys_00

Well, I'm auditing CS164 again. C++ part 1, basically. I'd like to know
if I can submit some code to the group and get some opinions, as the
instructor is not going to do anything more than let me sit in on
lectures. I don't have access to the labs, or anything she's got going
on, so I am going to try to go to the classes and come up with my own
ideas of what to code. The first project is a program that takes 10
names, and 3 grades for each name. It then is supposed to format a
table and display the names and the grades, and at the end the average,
like this:

//This program will take 10 student names and take 3 grades for each
person.
//Then the program will display a table of the student's names and
grades, followed by the averages.
//the table will look like this:

//Name Grade1 Grade2 Grade3 Average
//=========================================
//Jon 80 67 32 whatever
//Mary 90 100 79 whatever
//Donny 76 21 90 whatever
//Molly 90 89 78 whatever
// and so on...

Would that be ok with the group, or is this some sort of a breach of
etiquette? I'm not asking for anyone to do it for me(because I wouldn't
learn anything that way), but subtle hints and nudges are all I'm
looking for.

Xeys

Victor Bazarov

xeys_00 said:
Well, I'm auditing CS164 again. C++ part 1, basically. I'd like to know
if I can submit some code to the group and get some opinions, as the
instructor is not going to do anything more than let me sit in on
lectures. I don't have access to the labs, or anything she's got going
on, so I am going to try to go to the classes and come up with my own
ideas of what to code. The first project is a program that takes 10
names, and 3 grades for each name. It then is supposed to format a
table and display the names and the grades, and at the end the average,
like this:

[...]
Would that be ok with the group, or is this some sort of a breach of
etiquette? I'm not asking for anyone to do it for me(because I wouldn't
learn anything that way), but subtle hints and nudges are all I'm
looking for.

It's OK to submit code for review. Please do not post attachments. Try
to limit your posts to sensible number of lines (your projects should be
small, anyway, right?)

The community in general (AFAICT) would rather answer a particular C++
question than do code reviews, but that should not be a reason not to post
your code and expect some comment on it. Remember that there is also the
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++, which is may be more geared toward helping
learners than c.l.c++.

In any case, please prepare to be criticised.

Bob Hairgrove

Would that be ok with the group, or is this some sort of a breach of
etiquette? I'm not asking for anyone to do it for me(because I wouldn't
learn anything that way), but subtle hints and nudges are all I'm
looking for.

I don't mind ... lots of times I will learn something new from other
people's code, even from novices. As long as you don't want ready-made
answers, it should be OK. Just try to make sure that you can actually
compile whatever you post without any errors from the compiler.
Warnings are OK, but the less the better. We can help you get rid of
all the warnings eventually, too.

Victor Bazarov

xeys_00 said:
By the way, I'm using Kdevelop for this stuff, and I am trying to type
out a "+" and all I get is the cursor selects the character to the left
of where I wanted the "+". Any ideas? I can't work on my code any more
today in this ide until I get this worked out.

Isn't there, like, an online forum for Kdevelop, or something? This NG
is for the _language_ discussions, not "how to use my IDE". Please find
a better place to ask about it.