wg21

Agent Mulder

Hi group,

we all have our favourite 'lacking features' in C++ and
as I get it, it is just a matter of pushing, until some exhausted
comite accepts your new keyword.

How to push?

I found the answer on comp.std.c++, but it leaves open
a few questions:

Francis Glassborow:
the answer is very simple, draft a proposal including text for
the next Standard and submit it to WG21's evolution group. If it is
indeed as trivial as you suggest then it will not take you very long to
do so. Of course the compiler implementors may then have something to
say about it.

1. How do you write a proposal? What should be in it?
Where can I find examples of good proposals?

2. What is the WG21 evolution group? What do they do?
What criteria do they use judging a proposal? How do you
submit a proposal to them?

I found the website but it is very big and oddly structured.
Difficult to traverse. Some pointers are welcome. Thanks.

-X

Attila Feher

Agent said:
Hi group,

we all have our favourite 'lacking features' in C++ and
as I get it, it is just a matter of pushing, until some exhausted
comite accepts your new keyword.

How to push?

I found the answer on comp.std.c++, but it leaves open
a few questions:

Francis Glassborow:

1. How do you write a proposal? What should be in it?
Where can I find examples of good proposals?

2. What is the WG21 evolution group? What do they do?
What criteria do they use judging a proposal? How do you
submit a proposal to them?

I found the website but it is very big and oddly structured.
Difficult to traverse. Some pointers are welcome. Thanks.

These are all questions, which belong to the newsgroup comp.std.c++

If you are interested in the topic it is worth to look at this:

http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/

This *is* the Website :) And you started already to see the issue: it *is*
very difficult to write a good proposal for new features for the C++
language. I believe that you will need to post to the above mentioned NG
and ask for proposal formats etc. there. I also suggest that before you
propose anything you make a test drive of it in the std newsgroup. If
people there are shooting flames at you, do not ever bother writing a
proposal. :)

Agent Mulder

AF> If you are interested in the topic (of WG21)
AF> it is worth to look at this:
AF>
AF> http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/
AF>
AF> it *is* very difficult to write a good proposal
AF> for new features for the C++

I feel very small in comp.std.c++ among all the giant
marble statues and important parts of the website of
WG21 are closed to me. It seems that sometimes a
proposal takes years to get through and people get
heavily emotionally involved over matters. I doubt if
I have the time but I certainly lack the temper to push
my view all the way. First I was afraid that someone
would run with my keyword, because it is so obvious,
but now it seems that nobody cares.

AF> I also suggest that before you propose anything you
AF> make a test drive of it in the std newsgroup. If people
AF> there are shooting flames at you, do not ever bother
AF> writing a proposal. :)

Well, I did, both in comp.lang.c++ and in comp.std.c++ and
I was shooted flames at, but in this newsgroup it silenced the
regular nitpickers really quick and I also heard some agreeing
murmers from established people. How to go about?

-X