wg21

Discussion in 'C++' started by Agent Mulder, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. Agent Mulder

    Agent Mulder Guest

    Hi group,

    we all have our favourite 'lacking features' in C++ and
    as I get it, it is just a matter of pushing, until some exhausted
    comite accepts your new keyword.

    How to push?

    I found the answer on comp.std.c++, but it leaves open
    a few questions:

    Francis Glassborow:
    > the answer is very simple, draft a proposal including text for
    > the next Standard and submit it to WG21's evolution group. If it is
    > indeed as trivial as you suggest then it will not take you very long to
    > do so. Of course the compiler implementors may then have something to
    > say about it.

    1. How do you write a proposal? What should be in it?
    Where can I find examples of good proposals?

    2. What is the WG21 evolution group? What do they do?
    What criteria do they use judging a proposal? How do you
    submit a proposal to them?

    I found the website but it is very big and oddly structured.
    Difficult to traverse. Some pointers are welcome. Thanks.

    -X

    Agent Mulder, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Agent Mulder

    Attila Feher Guest

    Agent Mulder wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > we all have our favourite 'lacking features' in C++ and
    > as I get it, it is just a matter of pushing, until some exhausted
    > comite accepts your new keyword.
    >
    > How to push?
    >
    > I found the answer on comp.std.c++, but it leaves open
    > a few questions:
    >
    > Francis Glassborow:
    >> the answer is very simple, draft a proposal including text for
    >> the next Standard and submit it to WG21's evolution group. If it is
    >> indeed as trivial as you suggest then it will not take you very
    >> long to do so. Of course the compiler implementors may then have
    >> something to say about it.

    > 1. How do you write a proposal? What should be in it?
    > Where can I find examples of good proposals?
    >
    > 2. What is the WG21 evolution group? What do they do?
    > What criteria do they use judging a proposal? How do you
    > submit a proposal to them?
    >
    > I found the website but it is very big and oddly structured.
    > Difficult to traverse. Some pointers are welcome. Thanks.

    These are all questions, which belong to the newsgroup comp.std.c++

    If you are interested in the topic it is worth to look at this:

    http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/

    This *is* the Website :) And you started already to see the issue: it *is*
    very difficult to write a good proposal for new features for the C++
    language. I believe that you will need to post to the above mentioned NG
    and ask for proposal formats etc. there. I also suggest that before you
    propose anything you make a test drive of it in the std newsgroup. If
    people there are shooting flames at you, do not ever bother writing a
    proposal. :)

    --
    Attila aka WW

    Attila Feher, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Agent Mulder

    Agent Mulder Guest

    AF> If you are interested in the topic (of WG21)
    AF> it is worth to look at this:
    AF>
    AF> http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/
    AF>
    AF> it *is* very difficult to write a good proposal
    AF> for new features for the C++

    I feel very small in comp.std.c++ among all the giant
    marble statues and important parts of the website of
    WG21 are closed to me. It seems that sometimes a
    proposal takes years to get through and people get
    heavily emotionally involved over matters. I doubt if
    I have the time but I certainly lack the temper to push
    my view all the way. First I was afraid that someone
    would run with my keyword, because it is so obvious,
    but now it seems that nobody cares.

    AF> I also suggest that before you propose anything you
    AF> make a test drive of it in the std newsgroup. If people
    AF> there are shooting flames at you, do not ever bother
    AF> writing a proposal. :)

    Well, I did, both in comp.lang.c++ and in comp.std.c++ and
    I was shooted flames at, but in this newsgroup it silenced the
    regular nitpickers really quick and I also heard some agreeing
    murmers from established people. How to go about?

    -X

    Agent Mulder, Aug 22, 2003