What a Funny Goup! I Asked a Question About Boost (C++ Filesystem Interface) & All I Got Is: My Ques

Sam Holden

isn't that what comp.std.c++ is for?

Nope.

comp.std.c++ is for discussion of the C++ Standard.

comp.lang.c++ is for discussion of Standard C++.

There's a difference.

The first is for things like design rationales for the C++ Standard.

The second is for things like programming techniques and usage of the
libraries in Standard C++.

Default User

foo said:
I think we should start a trend, and flood this newsgroups with a
similar posting every time one of these elitists, topic police geek,
(don't have a life), morons post one of there ridiculous topic
relevance message.

That would only be effective if there weren't kill files. Which there
are, and say hello to your buddy in mine.

Brian Rodenborn

Xenos said:
isn't that what comp.std.c++ is for?

No, that is for discussing the standard itself. Posts about writing
programs are off-topic there.

Brian Rodenborn

Socketd

On 12 Aug 2003 10:26:42 -0700
Here here!!!
I totally agree with you.
I think we should start a trend, and flood this newsgroups with a
similar posting every time one of these elitists, topic police geek,
(don't have a life), morons post one of there ridiculous topic
relevance message.

WoW....more trolls, ok who forgot to lock the cage?

socketd

Noah Roberts

BOOST is a filesystem that allows you to use your current
C++ compiler to manipulale directories. Why don't you familiarize
yourself with BOOST before you start barking at other people?

I think I can summarize why these questions are off topic to this group
with a simple question:

What the **** is BOOST and why are you pestering us about it?

Matthew Burgess

Troll handle: perseus
Forged email address: (e-mail address removed)
Provocative off topic subject: What a Funny Goup!
I Asked a Question About Boost (C++ Filesystem Interface)
& All I Got Is: My Question Is Irrelevant!

But it is not cross posted
and perseus responds to most of the replies.

Overall, I agree.
This is an obvious troll. Please ignore it.

What took you so long this time Mr Tisdale? You usually respond so
quickly to other obvious trolls. I've been reading this entire thread
(and related ones) for several hours now without realising at all that
the guy was a troll. Thanks for pointing this out (again) *sigh*.

Stephen Howe

What a stupid and uneducated Austrian.
He has never learned how to communicate with other people.
He tries to be ironic too! Such a luxury for such an idiot.

Hey Perseus,

Notice you have not had one person in the group rushing to your defence.
And I suppose it works out that everyone else is wrong and your right -
yeah?

Hrrmm, Boost as in home of shared_ptr, weak_ptr, right?
Well you won't get anything out of me now.

Advice: If you go with flow, newsgroups are a joy. Go against the flow it
is hell.
You will find the same in comp.lang.c
Change your attitude you arrogant bastard, read and follow the FAQ and it
will go well.

Stephen Howe

Stephen Howe

Hahahaha! Hahahaha! Hahahaha!

What an ignoramus you are.

I've programmed a Texas Instruments DSP chip - TMS320C25 and for the medical
instrument it controlled, there was no such thing as a file or directory,
only a screen, pressure gauge and some ports. Later a keyboard was added,
but it was not there to start with.

And I have friends who routinely use Intels 186 chip for embedded ROM work
and likewise files, keyboards, screens are optional.

Shows how much you know as to what C++ is put use to.

Stephen Howe

Stephen Howe

This is an obvious troll.

Dear me, I was not aware until I read your post.
It is obvious now. Thanks for enlightening me.

Stephen Howe

foo

Howard said:
I totall agree that we need such a forum. I think it would be a great
help.. Unfortunately, this isn't it. We need someone to set up such a
forum, and to host it on their server for free. But, do you know any one
who wants to volunteer their resources for it?
-Howard

Actually, I participate in two web site forums that have this type of
scope.
The C++ Expert-Exchange
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Programming_Languages/Cplusplus/

You'll see me as teh 4th ranking expert there (Axter)

CodeGuru C++ (Non Visual C++ Issues)
http://www.codeguru.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=3dabd079c3ddf9ceb1930d1636943682&forumid=9

I spend most of my time in these two forums, and I hardly ever visit
this newsgroup because it's so full of topic police who are more
interested in being rude then they are in discussing C++ related
topics.

foo

Nope.

comp.std.c++ is for discussion of the C++ Standard.

comp.lang.c++ is for discussion of Standard C++.

There's a difference.

The first is for things like design rationales for the C++ Standard.

The second is for things like programming techniques and usage of the
libraries in Standard C++.

OK,
We have
comp.lang.c++
comp.lang.c++.moderated
comp.std.c++

So what's wrong with using comp.lang.c++.moderated for those who want
the narrow focus, and for us libral minded users leave comp.lang.c++
for all things C++ related.

Again, what's the point of having two newsgroups with the same narrow
minded foucs?

foo

Default User said:
That would only be effective if there weren't kill files. Which there
are, and say hello to your buddy in mine.

Brian Rodenborn

I don't know what a kill files is, but if it means that you some how
set it up where you block out my posted message, I say great.
That will be one less topic police I have to worry about if I post a
question.

Yes, please block out my user account, so you never have to read my
messages again, and I never have to hear from you again.
Thank you

Alf P. Steinbach

OK,
We have
comp.lang.c++
comp.lang.c++.moderated
comp.std.c++

So what's wrong with using comp.lang.c++.moderated for those who want
the narrow focus, and for us libral minded users leave comp.lang.c++
for all things C++ related.

Again, what's the point of having two newsgroups with the same narrow
minded foucs?

In one group (this one) you get answers fast, but the quality may be
lacking, you may be called various names, etc. And in particular, there
is an excess of newbies and just plain trollers. The former not just
tolerated but actively supported, the latter (you included?) not.

In the other group (the moderated one) it takes much longer to get answers,
but answers are generally more well-considered, there are fewer newbies
(e.g. since typical "lets ask instead of think" and "lets get some experts
to do the homework" questions are not accepted), and generally no trolling
or spam -- although there have been cases of faked moderation.

David White

foo said:
What's the point of having such a newsgroup, when there's already a
moderate C++ newsgroup.

The moderated newsgroup was created in exasperation some years ago when this
newsgroup had more Windows questions than C++ questions. It was created for
people who didn't want to put up with a mass of off-topic questions and
rants by Jim Fleming. But it was _not_ done to just hand this newsgroup over
to those with Windows/MFC questions. This newsgroup's charter did not
change, and it has improved a lot since those days.
If you only want to see C++ Standard topics, why not go to the
moderate C++ topic area, and leave this newsgroup for all things
related to C++.

Because the moderated newsgroup has very slow throughput. People don't want
to wait half a day, or whatever the delay is, to see a response to a post. A
discussion (on-topic that is) that lasts one day here might take a month at
the moderated newsgroup.

DW

foo

Josh Lessard said:
Why is it ridiculous to only discuss things which are meant to be
discussed in this newsgroup??? This newsgroup is for discussion of
STANDARD C++ only. That is its purpose...and now instead of reading about
Standard C++, I have to read about people whining about why they can't
post things in this newsgroup which are irrelevant to its topic. THINK
ABOUT IT!!

Josh Lessard
Master's Student
School of Computer Science
Faculty of Mathematics
University of Waterloo
(519)888-4567 x3400
http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca

It's ridiculous because only in newsgroups do you have such ridiculous
topic controls.
You don't see that happen real life.
If you're in a class room that teaches only the C++ standard, and a
student asked the teacher about implementing an SMTP C++ class, what
do you think are the chances that the teacher would say, "No! We don't
discuss SMTP in this class. Go to another class that teaches SMTP!"
In most social face-to-face environments, you wouldn't dream of
telling someone that they're off topic, especially when they are
talking about a C++ related issue, although not the C++ standard.

Why should our newsgroup interaction be any different then how we
socialize in real life?

Nils Petter Vaskinn

Still having touble hitting keys in the right order?
What a stupid and uneducated Austrian.

Stupidity is of course a matter of opinion.
Uneducated is plain incorrect.
Austrian too. How did you come up with that (unless you're referring to
somone else), maybe you sholuld learn to read headers.
He has never learned how to communicate with other people.

I'm communicating with you right now.
He tries to be ironic too! Such a luxury for such an idiot.

I never tried to be ironic. I stated a few facts and asked a question.

NPV

Matthew Burgess

On 12 Aug 2003 21:36:54 -0700
If you're in a class room that teaches only the C++ standard, and a
student asked the teacher about implementing an SMTP C++ class, what
do you think are the chances that the teacher would say, "No! We don't
discuss SMTP in this class. Go to another class that teaches SMTP!"

I wouldn't presume that a) The C++ standards tutor even knows what SMTP
is, let alone how to implement it or use it in C++ or b) The other
members of the class want to listen about SMTP either. I would ask the
tutor (at the end of the lesson so as not to infringe on the other
student's time) if he/she knows how to implement an SMTP C++ class and
if not if they could point me to someone (or heaven forbid a book)
that might.

Gavin Deane

It's ridiculous because only in newsgroups do you have such ridiculous
topic controls.
You don't see that happen real life.
If you're in a class room that teaches only the C++ standard, and a
student asked the teacher about implementing an SMTP C++ class, what
do you think are the chances that the teacher would say, "No! We don't
discuss SMTP in this class. Go to another class that teaches SMTP!"
In most social face-to-face environments, you wouldn't dream of
telling someone that they're off topic, especially when they are
talking about a C++ related issue, although not the C++ standard.

Why should our newsgroup interaction be any different then how we
socialize in real life?

Because far more people are involved in a newsgroup like this than in
a classroom. If everyone in a class of 30 brings their own tiny
extension to what is topical, it doesn't make much difference.

I don't know how many people read this group regularly, but its a bit
more than 30!! If everyone here was to extend topicality in their own
little way, the definition of on-topic would be so wide as to be
useless.

It is just important to be courteous in a forum like this, but that
requirement applies equally to OP and respondent in a (hopefully
briefer than this one) off-topic thread. Netiquette is part of that
courtesy.

GJD

Karl Heinz Buchegger

foo said:
It's ridiculous because only in newsgroups do you have such ridiculous
topic controls.
You don't see that happen real life.
If you're in a class room that teaches only the C++ standard, and a
student asked the teacher about implementing an SMTP C++ class, what
do you think are the chances that the teacher would say, "No! We don't
discuss SMTP in this class. Go to another class that teaches SMTP!"
In most social face-to-face environments, you wouldn't dream of
telling someone that they're off topic, especially when they are
talking about a C++ related issue, although not the C++ standard.

On the other hand, this is exactly what any sensible teacher would
say: "We don't discuss SMTP in this class. But if you are interested
I can give you some hints and/or books about this topic. But we
do this out of class and not in this class which focuses on standard C++".