    Currently they seem to support mostly European and Japanese/Chinese
    profiles. What about India?

    Partho

    Partho, Apr 8, 2004

    1.4 has support for Hindi. See <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/intl/locale.doc.html> for details.

    Tris Orendorff, Apr 10, 2004

  3. Partho

    Jim Cobban Guest

    > > Hi all:
    > >
    > > I was wondering if Sun Java intends to expand its Locale options.
    > > Currently they seem to support mostly European and Japanese/Chinese
    > > profiles. What about India?

    > 1.4 has support for Hindi. See

    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/intl/locale.doc.html> for
    details.

    I am not certain that was the point. One of India's official languages is
    English. Indeed it is the only language that is common to all of India.
    There may actually be more English speaking people in India than there are
    in any other country. I am confident there are more than in any other
    country besides the USofA. I strongly suspect that most Indian data
    processing is performed in English. Doubtless there are Indian national
    standards relating to how dates, for example, are expressed. This
    information should be in the Indian English locale. Certainly Indian
    English is at least as entitled to its own locale as Canadian English or
    Canadian French. Of course support for that locale would ultimately be a
    commercial decision.

    Jim Cobban, Apr 10, 2004
  4. The point is to enable access to other Indian languages, some of which
    have support bases within individual states in India numbering more
    than the combined support bases of all major non-english european
    languages. So if say, Slovenian for ex., can warrant a positive
    commercial decision for its inclusion in the list of candidates for
    Internationalization support by Sun Microsystems, Inc. in its Java
    language, what stops it from including Marathi, Tamil (across TN, Sri
    Lanka and SE Asia), Telugu ((sic!) the third official language of
    Sunnyvale) or Bengali (across WB, NE India and Bangladesh).

    Partho

    Partho Choudhury, Apr 12, 2004