What about INDIA locale?

Partho

Hi all:

I was wondering if Sun Java intends to expand its Locale options.
Currently they seem to support mostly European and Japanese/Chinese
profiles. What about India?

Partho

Tris Orendorff

1.4 has support for Hindi. See <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/intl/locale.doc.html> for details.

--

Jim Cobban

Tris Orendorff said:
(e-mail address removed) (Partho) wrote in news:[email protected]:

1.4 has support for Hindi. See
I am not certain that was the point. One of India's official languages is
English. Indeed it is the only language that is common to all of India.
There may actually be more English speaking people in India than there are
in any other country. I am confident there are more than in any other
country besides the USofA. I strongly suspect that most Indian data
processing is performed in English. Doubtless there are Indian national
standards relating to how dates, for example, are expressed. This
information should be in the Indian English locale. Certainly Indian
English is at least as entitled to its own locale as Canadian English or
Canadian French. Of course support for that locale would ultimately be a
commercial decision.

Partho Choudhury

The point is to enable access to other Indian languages, some of which
have support bases within individual states in India numbering more
than the combined support bases of all major non-english european
languages. So if say, Slovenian for ex., can warrant a positive
commercial decision for its inclusion in the list of candidates for
Internationalization support by Sun Microsystems, Inc. in its Java
language, what stops it from including Marathi, Tamil (across TN, Sri
Lanka and SE Asia), Telugu ((sic!) the third official language of
Sunnyvale) or Bengali (across WB, NE India and Bangladesh).

Partho