What about setup.exe and .msi

ad

I use WebSetup project to create the deployment file for my web application.
The WebSetup project always create two file xxxx.msi and setup.exe.
What is the difference between?

Eliyahu Goldin

xxxx.msi is a database of installation items. setup.exe is an utility that
starts installation. You don't have to use it, double-clicking xxxx.msi will
cause the same effect. The actual installation is performed by the Windows
Installer Service.

Eliyahu

Peter Rilling

In addition, the setup.exe also checks to make sure you have the correct
environment such as correct .NET version and such. It will tell you if you
do not.