    After learning C++, I must learn gtk mm, libxml, eclipse, TCP/IP .
    From what should I start?
    Thanks !!
    Nezhate, May 28, 2008

  2. Nezhate

    Ian Collins Guest

    Nezhate wrote:
    > Hi There !
    > After learning C++, I must learn gtk mm, libxml, eclipse, TCP/IP .
    > From what should I start?

    Your local public library or online book store?

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, May 28, 2008

  3. Nezhate wrote:
    > Hi There !
    > After learning C++, I must learn gtk mm, libxml, eclipse, TCP/IP .
    > From what should I start?
    > Thanks !!

    I'd recommend you to read something more detailed about the standard
    library. Then something OS specific - Linux / Windows / Solaris / BSD /
    whatever. Now you should be ready to say what is it you want most ?
    graphics / networking / administration / desktop apps / etc ...

    best regards,

    Georgi
    Georgi Kehaiov, May 28, 2008
  4. Nezhate

    Nezhate Guest

    On May 28, 2:49 pm, Georgi Kehaiov <> wrote:
    > Nezhate wrote:
    > > Hi There !
    > > After learning C++, I must learn gtk mm, libxml, eclipse, TCP/IP .
    > > From what should I start?
    > > Thanks !!

    > I'd recommend you to read something more detailed about the standard
    > library. Then something OS specific - Linux / Windows / Solaris / BSD /
    > whatever. Now you should be ready to say what is it you want most ?
    > graphics / networking / administration / desktop apps / etc ...
    >
    > best regards,
    >
    > Georgi

    I'm working under Linux.
    Which kind of standard library you meant ?
    In the first position I think that I want to learn graphics
    Nezhate, May 28, 2008
  5. My bad, I'm sorry. I meant the Standard Template Library, often
    abbreviated as STL.

    Since you are interested in graphics with linux I'd recommend you to
    look for some materials on Mesa or OpenGL or the like.

    regards,

    Georgi

    -- http://weblog.ubernice.org
    Georgi Kehaiov, May 28, 2008
  6. Nezhate

    James Kanze Guest

    On May 28, 12:50 pm, (Yannick Tremblay) wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,

    > Nezhate <> wrote:

    > >After learning C++, I must learn gtk mm, libxml, eclipse, TCP/IP .

    > Well, none of these are programming languages.

    Yes, but like a language, they are (almost) all tools. I'd say
    that there are some more basic things which are important as
    well: software design, algorithms, software engineering, etc..
    Maybe threading or parsing. Or data base technology (SQL,
    anyone? But we're back more or less to the language level).

    Generally speaking, some knowledge of application considerations
    will be necessary as well. (TCP/IP may be part of this---if
    you're doing any networking, you should have at least a basic
    understanding of how the network works.)

    With regards to tools, there are two very essential ones that I
    don't see mentionned there: a good editor and some sort of
    scripting language.

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:
    James Kanze, May 29, 2008
  7. Nezhate

    Guest

    On May 29, 1:33 am, James Kanze <> wrote:
    > On May 28, 12:50 pm, (Yannick Tremblay) wrote:
    >
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > > Nezhate  <> wrote:
    > > >After learning C++, I must learn gtk mm, libxml, eclipse, TCP/IP .

    > > Well, none of these are programming languages.

    > Yes, but like a language, they are (almost) all tools.  I'd say
    > that there are some more basic things which are important as
    > well: software design, algorithms, software engineering, etc..
    > Maybe threading or parsing.  Or data base technology (SQL,
    > anyone?  But we're back more or less to the language level).
    >
    > Generally speaking, some knowledge of application considerations
    > will be necessary as well.  (TCP/IP may be part of this---if
    > you're doing any networking, you should have at least a basic
    > understanding of how the network works.)
    >
    > With regards to tools, there are two very essential ones that I
    > don't see mentionned there: a good editor and some sort of
    > scripting language.

    Anymore, if a script is pushing 8 to 10 lines, it gets turned into a C+
    +
    program. A few years ago B. Stroustrup said something like - lots of
    PERL
    usually equals unmaintainable. That jives with my experience and if
    script shows signs of growing, I nip it in the bud before it turns
    into
    a mess. IMO an editor is more important than a scripting language.

    Brian Wood
    Ebenezer Enterprises
    www.webEbenezer.net
    , May 30, 2008
  8. Nezhate

    James Kanze Guest

    On May 30, 9:09 pm, wrote:
    > On May 29, 1:33 am, James Kanze <> wrote:
    > > On May 28, 12:50 pm, (Yannick Tremblay) wrote:

    > > > In article
    > > > <>,
    > > > Well, none of these are programming languages.

    > > Yes, but like a language, they are (almost) all tools. I'd say
    > > that there are some more basic things which are important as
    > > well: software design, algorithms, software engineering, etc..
    > > Maybe threading or parsing. Or data base technology (SQL,
    > > anyone? But we're back more or less to the language level).

    > > Generally speaking, some knowledge of application considerations
    > > will be necessary as well. (TCP/IP may be part of this---if
    > > you're doing any networking, you should have at least a basic
    > > understanding of how the network works.)

    > > With regards to tools, there are two very essential ones that I
    > > don't see mentionned there: a good editor and some sort of
    > > scripting language.

    > Anymore, if a script is pushing 8 to 10 lines, it gets turned
    > into a C++ program.

    Not necessarily.

    > A few years ago B. Stroustrup said something like - lots of
    > PERL usually equals unmaintainable.

    I can agree with that, but Perl isn't the only scripting
    language available. I make extensive use of AWK, but also, a
    lot of what I use scripts for involves things that are fairly
    complex to do in C++: I don't have a library function which will
    do an rsh, for example. (A lot of my work currently involved
    validating our migration to Linux. Running the old code on
    Sparc under Solaris, the new on a PC under Linux, and comparing
    the results. And I use Bourne shell and the usual Unix tools
    for that---no need for any special C++ code.)

    > That jives with my experience and if a script shows signs of
    > growing, I nip it in the bud before it turns into a mess. IMO
    > an editor is more important than a scripting language.

    Given that you need the editor to write the scripts:).

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:
    James Kanze, May 31, 2008
  9. Nezhate

    Guest

    On May 31, 2:56 am, James Kanze <> wrote:
    > On May 30, 9:09 pm, wrote:
    >

    > > On May 29, 1:33 am, James Kanze <> wrote:
    > > > Yes, but like a language, they are (almost) all tools.  I'd say
    > > > that there are some more basic things which are important as
    > > > well: software design, algorithms, software engineering, etc..
    > > > Maybe threading or parsing.  Or data base technology (SQL,
    > > > anyone?  But we're back more or less to the language level).
    > > > Generally speaking, some knowledge of application considerations
    > > > will be necessary as well.  (TCP/IP may be part of this---if
    > > > you're doing any networking, you should have at least a basic
    > > > understanding of how the network works.)
    > > > With regards to tools, there are two very essential ones that I
    > > > don't see mentionned there: a good editor and some sort of
    > > > scripting language.

    > > Anymore, if a script is pushing 8 to 10 lines, it gets turned
    > > into a C++ program.

    > Not necessarily.
    >
    > > A few years ago B. Stroustrup said something like - lots of
    > > PERL usually equals unmaintainable.

    > I can agree with that, but Perl isn't the only scripting
    > language available.  I make extensive use of AWK, but also, a
    > lot of what I use scripts for involves things that are fairly
    > complex to do in C++: I don't have a library function which will
    > do an rsh, for example.

    In that case I agree, but I would make a note to check every
    six months or so for a new library that supports that.
    Eventually it will probably be available and then I would work
    towards getting a C++ version going. Better late than never.

    > (A lot of my work currently involved
    > validating our migration to Linux.  Running the old code on
    > Sparc under Solaris, the new on a PC under Linux, and comparing
    > the results.  And I use Bourne shell and the usual Unix tools
    > for that---no need for any special C++ code.)

    Did you consider using Open Solaris on PCs? I was advised to
    consider that a while ago rather than Linux. I haven't really
    looked into it. So far I'm happy with Linux. I note that it
    matters what distribution of Linux you use -
    "How a programming error introduced profound security
    vulnerabilities in millions of computer systems."
    http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20801/page1

    Brian Wood
    Ebenezer Enterprises
    www.webEbenezer.net
    , May 31, 2008
  10. Nezhate

    James Kanze Guest

    On May 31, 11:03 pm, wrote:
    > On May 31, 2:56 am, James Kanze <> wrote:

    [...]
    > > (A lot of my work currently involved validating our
    > > migration to Linux. Running the old code on Sparc under
    > > Solaris, the new on a PC under Linux, and comparing the
    > > results. And I use Bourne shell and the usual Unix tools
    > > for that---no need for any special C++ code.)

    > Did you consider using Open Solaris on PCs?

    I didn't have anything to do with the decision, but given the
    body of existing, Solaris oriented code, it certainly should
    have been a consideration (but probably wasn't). As it happens,
    my part of the application is very I/O bound (it's responsible
    for the transactional integrity of the entire system), which
    means that switching to PC's is going to pose significant
    performance problems for me---the CPU's may be as fast or faster
    than the Sparcs we currently use, but the I/O bandwidth is
    noticeably less.

    > I was advised to consider that a while ago rather than Linux.
    > I haven't really looked into it. So far I'm happy with Linux.

    It probably depends on what you're doing. My experience is that
    Linux is a good deal less reliable than Solaris (but that's
    comparing Linux on PC's with Solaris on Sparcs), or even than
    Windows. But it's probably reliable enough for a lot of things,
    and the price is certainly acceptable. (I might also add that
    most of the reliability problems I've actually encountered on
    Linux seem to be linked with the X system. Which of course,
    isn't a real problem for my server software.)

    > I note that it matters what distribution of Linux you use -
    > "How a programming error introduced profound security
    > vulnerabilities in millions of computer
    > systems."http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20801/page1

    That sounds like a more general problem. If I understand the
    article correctly, the software was originally counting on the
    memory in some buffer not being initialized for some sort of
    randomness. Which is a serious error to begin with. But of
    course, if the desire is some sort of randomness, replacing the
    initial lack of initialization with initialization with all
    zeros is only going to make things worse. (The correct
    solution, of course, would be to initialize with values read
    from /dev/random.)

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:
    James Kanze, Jun 1, 2008