    people who worked with EJB before.

    Thanks in advance!

    AndreiC
    andreic, Feb 7, 2007

  2. andreic

    John T Guest

    andreic wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to start learning to develop EJBs and I need to install an
    > application server to deploy my EJBs in... I have to decide between
    > Geronimo and JBoss. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding which
    > is better, which is easier to install and use and so on ... I have no
    > previous experience with neither of them so I need some opinions from
    > people who worked with EJB before.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > AndreiC

    Here's a good article

    http://www.indicthreads.com/blogs/jboss_geronimo.html

    Not sure if the judgements will apply after Redhat acquired JBoss.
    Personally, I have both installed.

    To quote a link further on in the discussion

    "The answer to your question on why you should pick JBoss over other
    freely available software on Apache or SF is pretty straightforward. You
    get the world-class production and developer support from JBoss Inc as
    well as the community via our forums, blogs and wikis. Plus we are J2EE
    1.4 certified. If no cost, quality support and standards compliance
    matter to you, you will not think twice."

    http://indicthreads.com/interviews/126/jboss_j2ee_server.html
    John T, Feb 8, 2007

  3. andreic wrote:
    > I want to start learning to develop EJBs and I need to install an
    > application server to deploy my EJBs in... I have to decide between
    > Geronimo and JBoss. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding which
    > is better, which is easier to install and use and so on ... I have no
    > previous experience with neither of them so I need some opinions from
    > people who worked with EJB before.

    I would say JBoss.

    They are more relevant from a future job perspective.

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Feb 8, 2007
  4. John T wrote:
    > To quote a link further on in the discussion
    >
    > "The answer to your question on why you should pick JBoss over other
    > freely available software on Apache or SF is pretty straightforward. You
    > get the world-class production and developer support from JBoss Inc as
    > well as the community via our forums, blogs and wikis. Plus we are J2EE
    > 1.4 certified. If no cost, quality support and standards compliance
    > matter to you, you will not think twice."

    That is marketing bullshit speak.

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Feb 8, 2007
  5. andreic

    John Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > John T wrote:
    >
    >> To quote a link further on in the discussion
    >>
    >> "The answer to your question on why you should pick JBoss over other
    >> freely available software on Apache or SF is pretty straightforward.
    >> You get the world-class production and developer support from JBoss
    >> Inc as well as the community via our forums, blogs and wikis. Plus we
    >> are J2EE 1.4 certified. If no cost, quality support and standards
    >> compliance matter to you, you will not think twice."

    > That is marketing bullshit speak.
    >
    > Arne

    Agreed, but would you expect one of the lead developers for JBoss to say
    "Nah... our product sucks... use the Sun App Server or one of the others
    that is out there."
    John, Feb 8, 2007
  6. John wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> John T wrote:
    >>> To quote a link further on in the discussion
    >>>
    >>> "The answer to your question on why you should pick JBoss over other
    >>> freely available software on Apache or SF is pretty straightforward.
    >>> You get the world-class production and developer support from JBoss
    >>> Inc as well as the community via our forums, blogs and wikis. Plus we
    >>> are J2EE 1.4 certified. If no cost, quality support and standards
    >>> compliance matter to you, you will not think twice."

    >> That is marketing bullshit speak.

    > Agreed, but would you expect one of the lead developers for JBoss to say
    > "Nah... our product sucks... use the Sun App Server or one of the others
    > that is out there."

    I would expect a developer of product X in such discussions to
    just state:
    - that they work for X
    - that they think X is good (with claiming better than Y)
    - describe features they think X is good at

    I consider it rather tasteless to promote ones own product
    in a technical forum.

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Feb 9, 2007