What application server to use?

andreic

Hello,

I want to start learning to develop EJBs and I need to install an
application server to deploy my EJBs in... I have to decide between
Geronimo and JBoss. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding which
is better, which is easier to install and use and so on ... I have no
previous experience with neither of them so I need some opinions from
people who worked with EJB before.

Thanks in advance!

AndreiC

John T

andreic said:
Hello,

I want to start learning to develop EJBs and I need to install an
application server to deploy my EJBs in... I have to decide between
Geronimo and JBoss. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding which
is better, which is easier to install and use and so on ... I have no
previous experience with neither of them so I need some opinions from
people who worked with EJB before.

Thanks in advance!

AndreiC
Here's a good article

http://www.indicthreads.com/blogs/jboss_geronimo.html

Not sure if the judgements will apply after Redhat acquired JBoss.
Personally, I have both installed.

To quote a link further on in the discussion

"The answer to your question on why you should pick JBoss over other
freely available software on Apache or SF is pretty straightforward. You
get the world-class production and developer support from JBoss Inc as
well as the community via our forums, blogs and wikis. Plus we are J2EE
1.4 certified. If no cost, quality support and standards compliance
matter to you, you will not think twice."

http://indicthreads.com/interviews/126/jboss_j2ee_server.html

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

andreic said:
I want to start learning to develop EJBs and I need to install an
application server to deploy my EJBs in... I have to decide between
Geronimo and JBoss. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding which
is better, which is easier to install and use and so on ... I have no
previous experience with neither of them so I need some opinions from
people who worked with EJB before.

I would say JBoss.

They are more relevant from a future job perspective.

Arne

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

John said:
To quote a link further on in the discussion

"The answer to your question on why you should pick JBoss over other
freely available software on Apache or SF is pretty straightforward. You
get the world-class production and developer support from JBoss Inc as
well as the community via our forums, blogs and wikis. Plus we are J2EE
1.4 certified. If no cost, quality support and standards compliance
matter to you, you will not think twice."

That is marketing bullshit speak.

Arne

John

Arne said:
That is marketing bullshit speak.

Arne
Agreed, but would you expect one of the lead developers for JBoss to say
"Nah... our product sucks... use the Sun App Server or one of the others
that is out there."

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

John said:
Agreed, but would you expect one of the lead developers for JBoss to say
"Nah... our product sucks... use the Sun App Server or one of the others
that is out there."

I would expect a developer of product X in such discussions to
just state:
- that they work for X
- that they think X is good (with claiming better than Y)
- describe features they think X is good at

I consider it rather tasteless to promote ones own product
in a technical forum.

Arne