    Free washing machine help and advice.

    www.washerhelp.co.uk

    www.xyzed.co.uk/newsgroups/top-posting.html
    xyZed, Mar 23, 2006

  2. xyZed

    xyZed Guest

    There is circumstantial evidence that on Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:42:16
    GMT, xyZed <> wrote

    >› I keep finding hundreds of so-called sites that appear (to me) to have
    >› been created by robots. They make no sense at all, but they just
    >› contain hundreds of snippets from other unrelated sites and have
    >› affiliate links and adverts all over them.
    >› Has anyone else noticed them?

    I forgot to mention that many of them (bizarrely) actually contain
    links back to my site which I don't mind - but then again, if they are
    spam sites, could that adversely affect mine?

    xyZed, Mar 23, 2006

  3. xyZed wrote:
    > There is circumstantial evidence that on Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:42:16
    > GMT, xyZed <> wrote
    >
    >> › I keep finding hundreds of so-called sites that appear (to me) to have
    >> › been created by robots. They make no sense at all, but they just
    >> › contain hundreds of snippets from other unrelated sites and have
    >> › affiliate links and adverts all over them.
    >> › Has anyone else noticed them?

    > I forgot to mention that many of them (bizarrely) actually contain
    > links back to my site which I don't mind - but then again, if they are
    > spam sites, could that adversely affect mine?

    I think they are akin to link farms, just pages of search engine
    results. I see a lot with eBay auctions...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 23, 2006
  4. xyZed

    Jose Guest

    > I think they are akin to link farms, just pages of search engine results.

    I've never heard of that. Do tell.

    Jose
    --
    Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
    Jose, Mar 23, 2006
  5. xyZed

    Guest

    Some fo these sites definitely fall under the spamming category for
    Search Engines. Most people are familiar with email spam, this is
    literally Search Engine Spam. A common name used to describe these
    sites are "Scraper Sites". They scrape the internet for info (like your
    website) and automatically generate an unlimited number of pages based
    on their scrape results. This practice is in hopes that search engines
    will index their pages and bring traffic. Most of these websites will
    run ads (like Adsense) or are simply hoping Search Engines will see
    this an "normal" outbond linking for search engine optimization
    purposes. This practice is definiteyl black hat in my opinion. Even the
    origianl post suggest this: "They make no sense at all, but they just
    contain hundreds of snippets from other unrelated sites and have
    affiliate links and adverts all over them"

    Hope this helps.
    , Mar 23, 2006
  6. xyZed

    xyZed Guest

    There is circumstantial evidence that on 23 Mar 2006 13:04:19 -0800,
    wrote

    >› ... This practice is definiteyl black hat in my opinion. Even the
    >› origianl post suggest this: "They make no sense at all, but they just
    >› contain hundreds of snippets from other unrelated sites and have
    >› affiliate links and adverts all over them"

    It's also plagiarism. Are Google doing anything about them I wonder?
    After all, they can potentially generate revenue from them. I wonder
    if Adsense is genuinely interested in stopping this?

    xyZed, Mar 24, 2006
  7. xyZed

    Jose Guest

    > Some fo these sites definitely fall under the spamming category for
    > Search Engines. Most people are familiar with email spam, this is
    > literally Search Engine Spam. A common name used to describe these
    > sites are "Scraper Sites". They scrape the internet for info (like your
    > website) and automatically generate an unlimited number of pages based
    > on their scrape results. This practice is in hopes that search engines
    > will index their pages and bring traffic. Most of these websites will
    > run ads (like Adsense) or are simply hoping Search Engines will see
    > this an "normal" outbond linking for search engine optimization
    > purposes. This practice is definiteyl black hat in my opinion. Even the
    > origianl post suggest this: "They make no sense at all, but they just
    > contain hundreds of snippets from other unrelated sites and have
    > affiliate links and adverts all over them"

    So somebody creates a blank page, dumps everyone else's content into it,
    and hopes to get hits on it (due to search engine referrals) and thus
    fool advertisers into forking over money?

    Jose
    --
    Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
    Jose, Mar 24, 2006
  8. Jose wrote:
    >> Some fo these sites definitely fall under the spamming category for
    >> Search Engines. Most people are familiar with email spam, this is
    >> literally Search Engine Spam. A common name used to describe these
    >> sites are "Scraper Sites". They scrape the internet for info (like your
    >> website) and automatically generate an unlimited number of pages based
    >> on their scrape results. This practice is in hopes that search engines
    >> will index their pages and bring traffic. Most of these websites will
    >> run ads (like Adsense) or are simply hoping Search Engines will see
    >> this an "normal" outbond linking for search engine optimization
    >> purposes. This practice is definiteyl black hat in my opinion. Even the
    >> origianl post suggest this: "They make no sense at all, but they just
    >> contain hundreds of snippets from other unrelated sites and have
    >> affiliate links and adverts all over them"

    > So somebody creates a blank page, dumps everyone else's content into it,
    > and hopes to get hits on it (due to search engine referrals) and thus
    > fool advertisers into forking over money?

    They are out there, seen them, but not sure what the 'authors' hope for...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 24, 2006
  9. xyZed

    xyZed Guest

    There is circumstantial evidence that on Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:44:27
    GMT, xyZed <> wrote

    >› There is circumstantial evidence that on Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:42:16
    >› GMT, xyZed <> wrote
    >› _______________________________________________________
    >›
    >›
    >› I forgot to mention that many of them (bizarrely) actually contain
    >› links back to my site which I don't mind - but then again, if they are
    >› spam sites, could that adversely affect mine?

    Here's an example of the many sites I'm finding quoting mine.

    http://omisil.halard.com/

    This page is just a great big list of seemingly random quotes of
    passages from disparate web sites (mine included) but bizarrely they
    link back to the original source of the quote.

    What I would like opinion on, is whether these unsolicited back links
    are good - or harmful to the sites they are lifted from?

    xyZed, Apr 5, 2006