what are different jvm implementations in market?

Naresh Agarwal

Hi

I'm new to Java. I want to know what are the various JVM
implementations exist in the market for various platforms and where do
they stand in terms of performance and other aspects of development.

Which of the JVM implementation is most popular on windows and unix
platforms?

Also is the Sun's JVM implementation open?

thanks,
Naresh

Michael Borgwardt

Naresh said:
I'm new to Java. I want to know what are the various JVM
implementations exist in the market for various platforms and where do
they stand in terms of performance and other aspects of development.

Which of the JVM implementation is most popular on windows and unix
platforms?

On Windows, there's JVMs from Sun, IBM and Microsoft.
The IBM one often has slightly higher performance, but when Sun
releases a new specification, it takes a bit longer for IBM to
implement it. The Microsoft JVM is totally obsolete (version 1.1.4).

On Linux, there's Sun, IBM, Blackdown and kaffe. The last two are
open source efforts, though I think the Blackdown team works together
closely with Sun. kaffe is not a complete implementation, most notably
it lacks AWT/Swing support.

I'm not sure about other platforms; Sun and IBM both have JVMs for
quite a number of platforms, and kaffe should work on most Unix flavors.

Also is the Sun's JVM implementation open?

Define "open". If you mean that the source code is available: yes, though
you have to register on Sun's developer website to get the source of the
Sun-specific Java classes and the native parts. Actually, I'm not sure
whether they also give you the actual JVM source.

Brad BARCLAY

Michael said:
I'm not sure about other platforms; Sun and IBM both have JVMs for
quite a number of platforms, and kaffe should work on most Unix flavors.

On OS/2 there are JVM's from IBM, GoldenCode Development, and Innotek
Systems.

On MacOS (and OS X) Apple does the JVM implementations IIRC.

I'm also pretty sure that HP does the JVM implementation for HP-UX, and
SGI for Irix. Of course IBM's implementation is the primary (and
typically only) one for AIX, OS/400, and other IBM platforms.

Brad BARCLAY