    And what is the difference between a "symbolic constant" and a
    "manifest constant"? Is there any difference?

    Thanks in advance

    S Claus, Mar 31, 2009

  2. * S Claus:
    > Hi all
    >
    > sorry about this but could anyone give me a simple explanation of what
    > is a "literal" and what is a "symbolic constant" and what is a
    > "manifest constant"?
    >
    > Is a literal practically any number or string that you store in a
    > variable?
    >
    > And what is the difference between a "symbolic constant" and a
    > "manifest constant"? Is there any difference?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    First, since this is crossposted to 5 groups involving different programming
    languages, be very happy that be sheer coincidence you've asked about the
    definitions of terms that are used about the same way in all of programming.

    Otherwise we'd have had to employ some unsavory characters with ice picks, chain
    saws and other equipment, and have them call on you.

    Don't cross-post that massively, and ideally: post to one group only.

    Now, "literal": that's a value specified directly in the source code.

    "symbolic constant": that's a name that denotes a value.

    "manifest constant": who knows, google it, check the author's definition. It's
    evidently a constant. And evidently it's manifest in some way. :)

    Cheers, hth., and please stop that trollish cross-posting,

    - Alf

    Alf P. Steinbach, Mar 31, 2009

  3. S Claus

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:57:01 -0700 (PDT), S Claus
    who said :

    >sorry about this but could anyone give me a simple explanation of what
    >is a "literal" and what is a "symbolic constant" and what is a
    >"manifest constant"?

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/literal.html for literal

    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/constant.html for symbolic constant.

    I have never heard of a manifest constant.

    There are expressions that can be evaluated at compile time. I have
    not heard a short name for them. Perhaps we could call them "manifest
    constants" since their value is more obvious than other constants.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    "Danish studies of 10,000 birds killed revealed that almost all died in
    collisions with buildings, cars and wires; only 10 were killed by windmills.
    Alternative energy sources are absolutely necessary.
    Global warming will kill birds and bats, as well as other species,
    in much greater numbers than wind power."
    ~ Dr. David Suzuki

    Roedy Green, Mar 31, 2009
  4. S Claus

    red floyd Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:57:01 -0700 (PDT), S Claus
    > who said :
    >
    >> sorry about this but could anyone give me a simple explanation of what
    >> is a "literal" and what is a "symbolic constant" and what is a
    >> "manifest constant"?

    > See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/literal.html for literal
    >
    > http://mindprod.com/jgloss/constant.html for symbolic constant.
    >
    > I have never heard of a manifest constant.

    I believe manifest constants are symbolic constants that are defined by
    the implementation.

    e.g.:

    __unix__, etc...

    red floyd, Mar 31, 2009
  5. S Claus

    Lew Guest

    S Claus wrote:
    > sorry about this but could anyone give me a simple explanation of what
    > is a "literal" and what is a "symbolic constant" and what is a
    > "manifest constant"?
    >
    > Is a literal practically any number or string that you store in a
    > variable?
    >
    > And what is the difference between a "symbolic constant" and a
    > "manifest constant"? Is there any difference?

    One minute of googling brought me to
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable#Constants>

    Punching "literal" into Wikipedia's own search took another two
    minutes to get me to
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_literal>

    Practice your google-fu, Grasshopper.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Mar 31, 2009
  6. S Claus

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    red floyd wrote:
    > Roedy Green wrote:
    >> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:57:01 -0700 (PDT), S Claus
    >> <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
    >> who said :
    >>
    >>> sorry about this but could anyone give me a simple explanation of what
    >>> is a "literal" and what is a "symbolic constant" and what is a
    >>> "manifest constant"?

    >> See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/literal.html for literal
    >>
    >> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/constant.html for symbolic constant.
    >>
    >> I have never heard of a manifest constant.

    > I believe manifest constants are symbolic constants that are defined by
    > the implementation.

    In C/C++.

    Roedy is most likely reading this in the Java group.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 1, 2009
  7. S Claus

    Lew Guest

    red floyd wrote:
    >> I believe manifest constants are symbolic constants that are defined by
    >> the implementation.

    Or by the program.

    --
    Lew