What are some ADO & ASP.NET best practices

Rashad Rivera

What is the best practice for querying, inserting and deleting from a SQL
2000 database from high traffic ASP.NET web forms? Is it to have the
SqlConnection & SqlCommand object initialized and stored globally in the
Application object, or is it to dynamically create and destroy them with
every visit to the web forms? I am seeing a serious problem with
performance when I got to over 1000 users consecutively. I estimate a usage
of over 10,000.

If I am to store the SqlConnection and Command objects in the global
Application object, how will I deal with threading, or is IIS single
threaded?

How do sites like Google perform their queries? They must be in the million
hit range.

My next question is will transactions help to improve performance? And if
so, where can I find completed samples?

I know I have a lot of question and I thank you for your help in advance.

Sincerely,

- Rashad Rivera