What are some ADO & ASP.NET best practices

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rashad Rivera, May 8, 2004.

  1. What is the best practice for querying, inserting and deleting from a SQL
    2000 database from high traffic ASP.NET web forms? Is it to have the
    SqlConnection & SqlCommand object initialized and stored globally in the
    Application object, or is it to dynamically create and destroy them with
    every visit to the web forms? I am seeing a serious problem with
    performance when I got to over 1000 users consecutively. I estimate a usage
    of over 10,000.

    If I am to store the SqlConnection and Command objects in the global
    Application object, how will I deal with threading, or is IIS single
    threaded?

    How do sites like Google perform their queries? They must be in the million
    hit range.

    My next question is will transactions help to improve performance? And if
    so, where can I find completed samples?

    I know I have a lot of question and I thank you for your help in advance.

    Sincerely,

    - Rashad Rivera
    Rashad Rivera, May 8, 2004

  2. you were't real specific with the issues you were having but you need to
    read this first
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnadonet/html/commandbuilder.asp
    bill has been a longtime vet on this issues so his recommendations are
    pretty accurate

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney