what are static destructors? disadvantages? .. TIA

Victor Bazarov

IIUIC, a "static destructor" is a static member function of the class
that accepts one argument - a pointer to the object of that class to
be destroyed. It is probably used along with "a factory method", when
there is a need to restrict the creation of instances of some class to
free store only and/or perform additional steps before or after
creation of an object. Similar steps may need to be taken before
and/or after destroying an instance. That's that the "static
destructor" is for. I don't think it is proper to use those words
without double quotes since there is no real destructor that is static,
it's only a pretend destructor.

Disadvantages? Compared to what? To a non-static (real) destructor?
Hmm... I am looking for a good analogy here... What are the
disadvantages of a sorted collection versus non-sorted one? Can you
answer that question? Every idiom has its application. Advantages or
disadvantages, you often just have to use a certain idiom. I guess I
am simply trying to avoid answering that question. I really just
don't see it as valid.

someone

Victor,

Thanks for your reply. I am a newbie, so was curious at the very
notion of "static destructor". Thanks again.

cheer.
K.