What are the Consequences of Aspx page separate DLL from application DLL ?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Paul, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Title: What are the Consequences of Aspx page separate from app DLL
    Hi JL;
    I am working on a big asp.net application.
    When we migrate the dll (or dlls) to the production server, all users
    who are login into the application are pumped off. In fact we must
    close down the server (to preserve users from being logged on and
    thinking they are updating data when it is in fact lost when we move
    the dlls to the the applications bin directory).
    What can be the reason for this? I checked to the "Temporary ASP.NET
    Files" library and there does seem to be shodow copying going on of my
    applications DLL.

    One thing that might have to do with this is that the aspx pages are
    NOT part of my Application DLL, that contains all the code that drives
    and displays the pages (in *.cs files). The Dll is called
    XXCSDLIB.dll

    The file login.aspx:

    <%@ Page language="c#" %>
    <%@ Import Namespace="XXCSDLIB.Pages" %>
    <script runat=server language="c#">
    XXCSDLIB.Pages.login pageObject;

    private void Page_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e) {
    pageObject = new XXCSDLIB.Pages.login();
    }
    </script>

    <% pageObject.DoPage(Context); %>

    There are no @Page Directive Attributes such as Inherits.
    And my aspx page is not a project or part of my Visual Studio Solution
    library.

    My aspx page becomes an instance of its own class, ASP.login_aspx,
    that inherits from the Page class (as I understand it). On Page_Load
    in makes an XXCSDLIB.Pages.login object and then calls the
    login.DoPage(HttpContext) method. The XXCSDLIB.Pages.login class is
    from the login.cs file that is compiled into the XXCSDLIB.dll linked
    library.
    So I don't think I want the @Page Directive Attribute "src" because
    there is no codebehind page.

    According to the login.aspx page that is rendered as XML in the
    shadowed copied library (see below). MY login.aspx is in a completely
    different assembly than XXCSDLIB.dll, called "9vjm3ycg", so when I use
    the ASP.login_aspx and then xcopy the XXCSDLIB.dll, the in process
    link between the two is destroyed. This is how it is with all my aspx
    pages.

    Why is that? Is it because the aspx dlls and the application dll share
    complete different sessionstates? Does it have anything with this to
    do?

    Jesse, your or others that might know, comments to my question and in
    fact the entire scenario is very wellcome!

    Regards,
    Paul

    In the temp shadowed copy library my login.aspx is better known as an
    XML file, login.aspx.2b58a.xml. It looks like this.
    <preserve assem="9vjm3ycg" type="ASP.login_aspx"
    hash="ff6d03f98fbe092e">
    <filedep name="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot_8007_paul\bin\XXCSDLIB.DLL" />
    <filedep name="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot_8007_paul\login.aspx" />
    </preserve>
    Paul, Aug 18, 2004

  2. Paul

    joker Guest

    Re: What are the Consequences of Aspx page separate DLL from applicationDLL ?

    Please note that newsgroups that don't include dotnet have nothing to do
    with the .NET framework & thus you shouldn't be posting questions about
    it there. You did post to a .net newsgroup so maybe they can help you.

    joker, Aug 18, 2004