What are the differences in EOF & FEOF in the

2

2005

context of a C program reading from a file?

I know its end of file but ...not sure?

Peter Nilsson

2005 said:
context of a C program reading from a file?

Please don't ask your real question in the subject line.

FEOF is not mentioned in the C standard.
I know its end of file but ...not sure?

Get yourself a decent C text book. C is not a good
language to learn by asking 20 (000) questions.

2

2005

Please don't ask your real question in the subject line.

FEOF is not mentioned in the C standard.

Get yourself a decent C text book. C is not a good
language to learn by asking 20 (000) questions.

I do have several books - I saw a code online with EOF when reading
from a file.
That's why

I read the book too but would like a crisp answer

I appreciate a tip.

2

2005

2005 said:

K&R2 provides a crisp answer on page 16.
I have K&R - not sure if there had been a "2"

EOF - a distinctive value when there is no more input, a value that
cannot be confused with any real character. This value is called
EOF, for ``end of file''.
FILE *in = fopen("myfile.txt", "r"); // Open myfile.txt read-only
while((myChar=fgetc(in)) != EOF) {
---------
---

feof is to distinguish between cases where a stream operation has
reached the end of a file and cases where the "EOF" (End Of File)
error message has simply been returned as a default error message,
without the end of the file actually being reached.

while(!feof(my_file)) {
/* [...End of file not reached, do something with it...] */

Philip Potter

2005 said:
I have K&R - not sure if there had been a "2"

EOF - a distinctive value when there is no more input, a value that
cannot be confused with any real character. This value is called
EOF, for ``end of file''.
FILE *in = fopen("myfile.txt", "r"); // Open myfile.txt read-only
while((myChar=fgetc(in)) != EOF) {
---------
---

feof is to distinguish between cases where a stream operation has
reached the end of a file and cases where the "EOF" (End Of File)
error message has simply been returned as a default error message,
without the end of the file actually being reached.

while(!feof(my_file)) {
/* [...End of file not reached, do something with it...] */
}

What do *you* think the difference is? Post your answer here, and we
will tell you if you are right or not, and if you are wrong, we will
tell you where your mistake is.

I suggest this for two reasons:

1) It is *much* more effective to learn by doing than by being lectured.
2) It's difficult to see which bit is confusing you. You have already
asked the difference between feof() and EOF, and Richard gave you this
answer. If you just ask the same question again, we don't know how to
make it any clearer.

Philip

Keith Thompson

2005 said:
I have K&R - not sure if there had been a "2"

K&R2 is the second edition. The first edition is mostly of historical
interest; it describes a largely obsolete version of the language. If
you have the first edition, invest in a copy of the second.
EOF [snip]

feof is to [snip]

So what is the difference when it comes to application?

The comp.lang.c FAQ is at http://www.c-faq.com. Read section 12.
Then read the rest of it.

David Thompson

K&R2 is the second edition. The first edition is mostly of historical
interest; it describes a largely obsolete version of the language. If
you have the first edition, invest in a copy of the second.
Which you might be able to finance by selling K&R1 to a collector. <G>

And get the errata at http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/2ediffs.html