what are the most popular building and packaging tools for python ??

Discussion in 'Python' started by Steve, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi list,
    At work, we would shortly be starting a new project that would
    be almost entirely (90%) written in python. Our development as well as
    deployment would happen on linux (fedora and RHEL to be specific).
    We've had a similar project earlier for which we distributed only
    the compiled python modules (the suits are yet to be enlightened about
    the benefits of OSS). For that project we had a build structure which
    not only compiled the py modules but also built the rpms. However this
    was a humongous non-recursive make structure ...which incidentally
    soon became unmaintainable. Now, we are looking for alternatives. We
    are ready to consider not using make at all, however we need some
    build tool which would work well with the other non-python source code
    too. I have been looking at Distutils and Scons, both have their
    advantages and disadvantages.
    Since I am still evaluating, I would welcome any suggestions or
    personal experiences that the community here might have had in this
    regard.

    TIA,
    Regards
    Steve