What are the most popular languages for dot net programming?

tom c

Would it be correct to say the VB is still the language most used for
Dot Net programming, and C# the second most used?

Mark Rae

Would it be correct to say the VB is still the language most used for
Dot Net programming, and C# the second most used?

Not wishing to sound pedantic, but you actually can't do .NET programming
with VB. Most , but not all, ASP classic server-side code was written in
VBScript.

VB.NET, however, is a totally different animal and perfectly suited to .NET
development of WinForms, WebForms, services, console apps etc...

Apart from the unfortunate coincidence of the name and some syntax
similarity, VB and VB.NET bear almost no relationship one to another.

As for which of the two is the more popular, short of a massive developer
survey, it would be almost impossible to calculate because once the code has
been compiled and deployed it takes a fair bit of unstitching to decipher
which of the .NET languages it was written in...

As a jobbing contract developer, I made a living through Visual Basic and
its cousins (VBScript, VBA, WordBasic, AccessBasic etc) right from the start
but, since .NET v1.0, I have developed everything in C# apart from only one
project in VB.NET because it suited me at the time.

Jon Paal

MS is pushing C# very very hard and trying desparately to kill off VB. It's almost impossible to find complete help samples in VB
these days.

Developers either convert to C# or die off with their latinesque language

... or move to Coldfusion :)

Juan T. Llibre

re:
MS is pushing C# very very hard and trying desparately to kill off VB.

That's -simply- not so.

re:
It's almost impossible to find complete help samples in VB these days.

Compare the current downloads for each language at the MS Download Center :

C# :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...CF84-4D66-B0FB-BEFCCC28A9BD&sortCriteria=date

There's 213 downloads for Visual C#.

VB.NET:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...F0B3-4630-ACD5-56982EA750AB&sortCriteria=date

There's 331 downloads for VB.NET.

Over and above the individual language downloads,
there's hundreds more downloads which include both languages.

You are spreading FUD...and I wonder why you're doing it.

Jon Paal

"microsoft ASP.net 2.0 core reference" from mspress is their manual available in "C#"

where is the "microsoft ASP.net 2.0 core reference" from mspress in "VB" ?

very hard to find complete training source materials in VB - my personal experience

Juan T. Llibre

re:
where is the "microsoft ASP.net 2.0 core reference" from mspress in "VB" ?

So what ?

The .Net Framework 2.0 Class Library Reference isn't out yet, while the 1.1 lib ref is.
That doesn't mean that Microsoft is dropping support for the .Net Framework 2.0.

You can't base a theory that speculates dropping support
for a language on a particular book not having come out.

re:
very hard to find complete training source materials in VB - my personal experience

You don't have to rely on MS Press.

Here's a complete ASP.NET 2.0 tutorial which uses -exclusively- VB.NET :
http://msconline.maconstate.edu/tutorials/ASPNET20/default.htm

You'll have a hard time finding a better one.

Jon Paal

The total lack of MS books with VB, which is precisely my point...

I've been using maconstate for years because MS doesn't provide the necessary VB support.

another example is :

"Developing Microsoft ASP.NET Server Controls and Components " from MS Press is in C#

Mike Lowery

Jon Paal said:
The total lack of MS books with VB, which is precisely my point...

I've been using maconstate for years because MS doesn't provide the necessary
VB support.

another example is :

"Developing Microsoft ASP.NET Server Controls and Components " from MS Press
is in C#

Your argument doesn't hold water, drop it. Microsoft has made no announcement
that VB will not be continued. They've supported BASIC since MS-DOS days while
other software companies dropped it outright. About the only advantage C# has
in this regard is that it's been formally released as a standard (ECMA 334)
whereas VB has not.

Michael D. Ober

That's really surprising to me since the VS 2005 road show did everything in
VB.NET 2005.

Mike Ober.

Jon Paal said:
MS is pushing C# very very hard and trying desparately to kill off VB.
It's almost impossible to find complete help samples in VB

Michael D. Ober

In the ASP[.NET] world, <% Page Language="VB" %> means the Visual Basic
version that goes with the ASP or ASP.NET version of the web-site. Thus, if
you are referring to ASP.NET 1.0, it's VB.NET 2002. For ASP.NET 1.1, it's
VB.NET 2003. For ASP.NET 2.0, it's VB 2005 and for classic ASP, it's
VBScript.

Mike Ober.

Jon Paal

I know the history...

Since this is an ASP.net newsgroup, one should assume current technology unless otherwise specified.

hence, "VB" means "VB"

Michael D. Ober said:
In the ASP[.NET] world, <% Page Language="VB" %> means the Visual Basic version that goes with the ASP or ASP.NET version of the
web-site. Thus, if you are referring to ASP.NET 1.0, it's VB.NET 2002. For ASP.NET 1.1, it's VB.NET 2003. For ASP.NET 2.0, it's
VB 2005 and for classic ASP, it's VBScript.

Mike Ober.

Jon Paal said:
I meant "VB"

<%@ Page Language="VB" %>

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Since this is an ASP.net newsgroup, one should assume current technology unless otherwise
specified.
hence, "VB" means "VB"

You're contradicting yourself.

If your first statement is true, your second statement should be :
hence, "VB" means "VB.NET"

It's confusing to refer to "VB.NET" as "VB", though.
"VB" is "VB" and "VB.NET" is "VB.NET"...and never the twain shall meet.

Ask any Classic VB programmer, from V1 through VB6.

They tend to be protective of their language's name and despise it if it's
confused with any other language...even if it's a later version of their own language.

Have a great day!

Michael D. Ober said:
In the ASP[.NET] world, <% Page Language="VB" %> means the Visual Basic version that goes with
the ASP or ASP.NET version of the web-site. Thus, if you are referring to ASP.NET 1.0, it's
VB.NET 2002. For ASP.NET 1.1, it's VB.NET 2003. For ASP.NET 2.0, it's VB 2005 and for classic
ASP, it's VBScript.

Mike Ober.

Jon Paal said:
I meant "VB"

<%@ Page Language="VB" %>

He might have written "VB", but he was referring to VB.NET.

That's really surprising to me since the VS 2005 road show did everything in
VB.NET 2005.

Jon Paal's referring to VB, not VB.NET...

Jon Paal

I repeat:
this is an ASP.net newsgroup.. apply appropriately.

re: