what are XLRDError and CompDocError?

Discussion in 'Python' started by kath, Oct 17, 2006.

  1. kath

    kath Guest

    Hi,
    i am facing some problems with opening an excel file. I am using XLRD
    module.
    I am getting

    XLRDError: Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document

    and

    CompDocError: Not a whole number of sectors

    exceptions in seperate try on different files.

    1.Does any one know anout these exceptions? what is the cause?

    2. what I should do to resolve these problems.?

    Thank you,
    regards,
    sudhir.

    kath, Oct 17, 2006

  2. kath

    John Machin Guest

    kath wrote:
    > Hi,
    > i am facing some problems with opening an excel file. I am using XLRD
    > module.
    > I am getting
    >
    > XLRDError: Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document
    >
    > and
    >
    > CompDocError: Not a whole number of sectors
    >
    > exceptions in seperate try on different files.
    >
    > 1.Does any one know anout these exceptions? what is the cause?

    a. "XLRDError: Can't find workbook in OLE2 compound document" -- would
    indicate that the OLE internal directory is broken. Can't find an entry
    named Workbook or Book.

    b. "CompDocError: Not a whole number of sectors" -- would indicate that
    the file is truncated or otherwise malformed.

    > 2. what I should do to resolve these problems.?

    Send an e-mail message to the package author, providing in each case
    (1) the versions of Python and xlrd that you are using, on what
    platform
    (2) a full copy/paste of the error message *AND* the traceback
    (3) a copy of the file
    (4) what software (with version info, if possible) was used to create
    the file
    (5) what results you get when you try to open it with OpenOffice.org's
    calc, Gnumeric, Excel, Excel Viewer, ...

    Cheers

    John Machin, Oct 30, 2006