What are your users using? IE vs FF and everyone else

Martin Leese

David Mark wrote:
The solution is simple. See the FAQ entry on feature detection and
write code once for all browsers.

Er ... what FAQ? Could somebody please
point me towards that. This thread is
spread across a number of newsgroups, so it
is not that obvious.

Diogenes

Randy said:
Nobody said any differently. And, nothing in your original post had
anything to do with javascript. It reads as the typical anti-MS rant
because some mythical voodoo statistics said so.

Uh, my last post did have something about javascript and I did that
simply to satisfy your request to get 'on topic'.

This discussion extends to everyone who does HTML, Javascript, PHP,
ASP, SQL Server. MySQL, XML, whatever.

-Dio

Diogenes

Anthony said:
Myth #2:

Fact #2:
Javascript runs on both the client and the server

Anthony,

This logic is so silly, that there is nothing more I can add.

You are having a hissy fit here. This is turning into
an interesting thread, owing, in part, to your efforts
to prevent it from becoming one.

You are not the thought police, you are not the government.

You have to lighten up son. I can say that because I'm old
enough to be your father. ;-)

-Dio

Anthony Levensalor

Anthony,

This logic is so silly, that there is nothing more I can add.

Is it, now? Well, what if I could give you a bit of explanation before
your arrogance blinds you completely.

SSJS is called so because the language was /originally/ limited to th
client side.

However when Netscape released LiveWire in 1996, it carried over to the
server side.

Golly gee, let's see, could there be any credible projects or
applications using such a silly thing as SSJS?

What about ASP, JSP, AppJet, jsext, firecat, Junction, Zimki, Whitebeam,
mod_js (you know, the Apache module?)

Oh, and Veracart.

Go tell Microsoft, Sun, and the Apache Foundation how silly it is to use
Javascript on the server side.

Long rant short, there is nothing silly about calling you out on that. I
corrected a misconception that far too many people have about Javascript.

That's my case. I assume after having made such a bold and incredibly
wrong comment in so arrogant a manner you will have a rebuttal.

You are having a hissy fit here. This is turning into
an interesting thread, owing, in part, to your efforts
to prevent it from becoming one.

hehe, this was a non-thread from the moment it started, Dio. It's
off-topic, and hence doesn't really have anything to do with javascript
at all. Posting it in a serious javascript user group like this, you're
lucky every post coming from our side wasn't a flame job. We actually
have real work we like to do here.
You are not the thought police, you are not the government.

Ok, and your gift for relevance got delivered next door.

You have to lighten up son. I can say that because I'm old
enough to be your father. ;-)

Do I know you? You don't have a real email address, or a real name, and
now you seem to have grown some kind of weird father fetish for me. I'm
cute, but damn.

Careful you don't break a hip.

~A!

GTalbot

--
Many thanks,
Martin Leese

Martin,

Using Web Standards in your Web Pages:Developing Cross Browser/Cross
Platform Pages
Browser identification approach (aka "browser sniffing"): not best,
not reliable approach
Using Object/Feature support detection approach: best and overall most
reliable
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/doc...Developing_Cross_Browser/Cross_Platform_Pages

A Strategy That Works: Object/Feature Detecting by
comp.lang.javascript newsgroup FAQ notes
http://jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/not_browser_detect.html#bdFD

Browser detection - No; Object detection - Yes by Peter-Paul Koch
http://www.quirksmode.org/js/support.html

Comp.lang.javascript newsgroup FAQ version 9.90 (2007-12-16):
http://jibbering.com/faq/

Regrds, Gérard

Diogenes

If follows from your 'FACT #2' that ...

1)Javascript is a client side programming language
2)Javascript is a server side programming language

even for those of us who are mythically challenged
with the "basics of communication in the English language"
(A.L. Myth #1)

So your 'Myth #2, by extension of your own 'logic', is FALSE.

FWIW, I think you're both an intelligent and a gifted programmer,
but this discussion has gone beyond silly. I leave you with this...

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
-- Oscar Wilde

-Dio ;-)

Andy Dingley

That's not a myth, nor is it even claimed to have myth status.

"Javascript is ONLY client-side programming", would be a myth, but
then no-one has claimed that.
Fact #2:
Javascript runs on both the client and the server

Very nice, very irrelevant. Diogenes only pointed out that JS was a
client-side tool, he made no comment abotu the server-side at all. In
his context, he was putting it up against client-side styling
technologies such as CSS, hence the potential relevance to postings in
c.i.w.a.stylesheets.

His point is of dubious quality (relating to good web design
principles), because a risk-prone, widely-untrusted scripting language
is a poor replacement for a robust styleshheet language. We do have to
write pagges that work for peopel with JS switched off, no matter how
necessary this switch-off actually is.

However your point is mere sophistry: usurping the presentational
argument and turning it into an irrelevance about server-side JS.

Henry

If follows from your 'FACT #2' that ...

1)Javascript is a client side programming language
2)Javascript is a server side programming language

Or more simply that javascript is a programming language. In the event
that I use javascript to automate Photoshop, or to automate my OS
management (with, for example, WSH), both of which I have done, then
there may be no 'sides' with which to distinguish client from server.
even for those of us who are mythically challenged
with the "basics of communication in the English language"
(A.L. Myth #1)

So your 'Myth #2, by extension of your own 'logic', is FALSE.
<snip>

There is no contradiction in a scripting language being observed to
operate in more than one environment.

Michael Fesser

..oO(Diogenes)
If follows from your 'FACT #2' that ...

1)Javascript is a client side programming language
2)Javascript is a server side programming language

Correct. And where's the problem? No programming language is bound to a
particular environment or "side" of something. This not only applies to
JS, but also to PHP and Python for example. Both languages are mainly
used on servers, but can also be used on a client for various purposes.

Micha

Good Man

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the
subject. -- Winston Churchill

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
-- Oscar Wilde

Great quotes!

Jonathan N. Little

Andy Dingley *DID NOT* write:
without circumcision, it was not necessary.
<snip crap>

How *really* despicable! Not only spam, but masquerade with other's ID!

Canuck57

My recent experience in buying computers in the retail market in
Calgary, Canada, is that Microsoft Vista is the ONLY windows OS
on offer and IE is the only browser installed on these whiz bang
machines that do everything with almost everything pre-installed
(including stuff you don't want).

Ya, does that not SUCK!!! Canada does need some anti-trust laws, and better
yet show the US-DoJ how to enforce them. I am NOT anti-American, but do
believe the DoJ in the US has side stepped justice for Microsoft Monopoly.

I wish one government had the balls to simple outlaw bundling. Once it
happens, M$ will fall fast.