    couldn't I just keep usign Javascript?

    Thanks for all again,
    G Doucet

    Guy Doucet, May 30, 2005

  2. Guy Doucet wrote:
    > Should I buy a book on XHTML or XML

    XHTML 1.0 is simply HTML 4.01 expressed in XML rather than SGML. It means a
    few minor changes in syntax and a bundle of interesting compatibility
    issues (mostly theoretical) with browsers. There is usually little point in
    using it over HTML 4.01, so I would stick with that. I find that the
    specification is highly readable <http://w3.org/TR/html4/> so I'd suggest
    that over a book.

    XML is a language to build markup languages from. Its useful if you need to
    pass messages in standard formats between systems, but not particularly if
    you want to author webpages.

    > and if DHTML is for browser scripting, couldn't I just keep usign
    > Javascript?

    DHTML is a buzzword that *usually* means HTML + JavaScript + CSS + DOM. Its
    useful to know all four technologies, but not so helpful to use the
    buzzword.

    I can't comment on CSS books as I've never read any.
    http://css.nu/pointers/index.html#Tutorials is useful for CSS.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, May 30, 2005

  3. In article <rVrme.38885$>,
    says...
    > I learned HTML 3, Javascript 1.2, and Perl 5 circa 1998, but haven't done
    > any serious web programming since.
    >
    > Looking around, I notice that web programming has changed quite a bit with
    > XHTML, XML, DHTML, etc... Heck, I haven't gotten used to CSS files yet!
    >
    > I still enjoy creating web pages but I could obvioulsy acomplish much more
    > using the latest code.
    >
    > I'd like to buy a book but which one?
    >
    > Should I buy a book on XHTML or XML, and if DHTML is for browser scripting,
    > couldn't I just keep usign Javascript?

    No point getting a book on XML - it's just a data format so won't help
    with builing web pages unless you want some sort of content management
    system and have the skill to translate XML to suitable markup. DHTML
    isn't for browser scripting - it's what you get when you combine HTML,
    CSS and JavaScript (or other client-side scripting).

    Reckon you should skip buying a book and head over to that little known,
    under-used web resource at http://www.google.com/

    --
    Hywel

    Kill the Crazy Frog