    It is 26MB for me.

    I am trying to trim my Python install for good reason.

    Thanks for any info!

    cjblaine, Apr 19, 2011

  2. cjblaine

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 4/19/2011 1:06 PM, cjblaine wrote:
    > What breaks if I remove lib/python2.7/test/* ? What purpose does it serve?

    It allows you to run the test suite. Some people like to run it when
    they install. Or they may run a module test if they have a problem with
    a specific module or edit the Python code. Otherwise, delete it.

    > It is 26MB for me.

    11 mb on windows, which is still sizable in some contexts.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Apr 19, 2011

  3. On 19-4-2011 19:06, cjblaine wrote:
    > What breaks if I remove lib/python2.7/test/* ? What purpose does it serve?
    >
    > It is 26MB for me.
    >
    > I am trying to trim my Python install for good reason.
    >
    > Thanks for any info!

    Terry answered what it is for. Personally, I also once used some functions from
    test.test_support in my own code. There's some handy stuff in there. Also, the venerable
    Pystone lives in test.pystone.

    However, I don't think the test/* stuff is actually considered to be part of the
    standard library? I believe it becomes available on many Linux installations only after
    installing the python-dev package (or similar). So my guess is that you are safe to
    delete it if you really need the disk space.

    -Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Apr 19, 2011