    browser using 1024 X 768.

    Please kindly enlight, thanks

    BT (pls reply via groups, as email no valid, thanks)

    Black Tractor, Jan 6, 2005

  2. On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:40:05 +0800, Black Tractor
    <blacktractor@NOT_VALID_black.net.sg> wrote:

    > Hi there..
    >
    > In a simple way l would like to know what setting (ie: in 800 X 600 or 1024
    > X 768 format) you normally set when you design a website?

    This shouldn't be an issue. Google for 'liquid design' or 'fluid design':
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22liquid+design%22+OR+%22fluid+design%22>

    --
    ,-- --<--@ ---- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: -----------.
    | weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html> |

    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Black Tractor

    rf Guest

    "Black Tractor" <blacktractor@NOT_VALID_black.net.sg> wrote

    > Hi there..

    Er, G'day.

    > In a simple way l would like to know what setting (ie: in 800 X 600 or

    1024
    > X 768 format) you normally set when you design a website?

    Er, what?

    I assume you refer to so called screen "resolution". This is not relevant at
    all to web design. It's the size of the browser window, the viewport, that
    counts.

    I for one when producing a web page pick up my browser borders and check the
    page at all sizes, from the minimum window size my OS will entertain (about
    100x100) right up to the maximum my system will handle, probably 4000 odd x
    1280.

    > As a frontpage user

    Oh my :-(

    > l use the setting of 1024 x 768 but many of my friends
    > feedback that when they viewed my site, they saw :-
    >
    > - words "being covered" by pictures

    Yep. Your site does not flow correctly ad differing viewport sizes.

    > - words "didnt wrap at the edge" of the window

    Yep. Your site is not fluid enough.

    > - pictures out of alignment (supposed to be left-aligned, but become
    > right-aligned")

    Yep. Your page does not adapt properly to differing viewport dimensions.

    > Symptoms mentioned are found on browser set in 800 x 600 setting, thus l'm
    > not sure if it's because of setting problem as l've not such problem in my
    > browser using 1024 X 768.

    Er, http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

    Where is this site? URL?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Black Tractor

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Re: what browser setting to you use when design website (800 x 600OR 1024 x 768)??

    Black Tractor wrote:
    > Hi there..
    >
    > In a simple way l would like to know what setting (ie: in 800 X 600 or 1024
    > X 768 format) you normally set when you design a website?
    >
    > As a frontpage user, l use the setting of 1024 x 768 but many of my friends
    > feedback that when they viewed my site, they saw :-
    >
    > - words "being covered" by pictures
    > - words "didnt wrap at the edge" of the window
    > - pictures out of alignment (supposed to be left-aligned, but become
    > right-aligned")
    >
    > Symptoms mentioned are found on browser set in 800 x 600 setting, thus l'm
    > not sure if it's because of setting problem as l've not such problem in my
    > browser using 1024 X 768.
    >
    > Please kindly enlight, thanks
    >
    > BT (pls reply via groups, as email no valid, thanks)

    brrr...

    depending on the client; either flexible (the site resizes to *any*
    size) or fixed to fit within 1024x768 [900x650 real] (for band and media
    heavy sites) or 800x600 [750x500] for clients with a less high-tech
    audience.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 6, 2005
  5. Black Tractor

    Karl Core Guest

    "Black Tractor" <blacktractor@NOT_VALID_black.net.sg> wrote in message
    > Hi there..
    >
    > In a simple way l would like to know what setting (ie: in 800 X 600 or
    > 1024
    > X 768 format) you normally set when you design a website?

    As others have mentioned, you should actually be aiming for a "liquid"
    layout which will expand as necessary to fill the user's available space.
    That said, I also recommend an "image-safe size" of 800x600 (actually, 760
    width appears to be the better number, as it allows room for browser
    chrome). Numerous considerations contribute to this - namely the fact that
    roughly 36% of users are still on 800x600 resolution and these users most
    often view using a full-screen browser window. This is a large audience
    which it would be unwise for you to alienate by designing for a larger
    resolution.

    --
    -Karl Core
    Please Support "Project Boneyard":

    Karl Core, Jan 6, 2005
  6. Black Tractor

    C A Upsdell Guest

    Black Tractor wrote:
    > Hi there..
    >
    > In a simple way l would like to know what setting (ie: in 800 X 600 or 1024
    > X 768 format) you normally set when you design a website?
    >
    > As a frontpage user, l use the setting of 1024 x 768 but many of my friends
    > feedback that when they viewed my site, they saw :-

    With fluid design it is not necessary to assume any particular resolution.

    C A Upsdell, Jan 6, 2005
  7. Black Tractor

    rf wrote:

    > I assume you refer to so called screen "resolution". This is not relevant at
    > all to web design. It's the size of the browser window, the viewport, that
    > counts.

    That's not strictly true... users CAN be expected to enlarge their
    browser window, and that window cant realistically be any large than the
    desktop, which in turn is defined by the resolution of the display. So,
    it is relevant for *some* types of sites, but certainly not all.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 6, 2005
  8. On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:40:05 +0800, Black Tractor wrote:

    > Hi there..
    >
    > In a simple way l would like to know what setting (ie: in 800 X 600 or 1024
    > X 768 format) you normally set when you design a website?
    >
    > As a frontpage user, l use the setting of 1024 x 768 but many of my friends
    > feedback that when they viewed my site, they saw :-
    >
    > - words "being covered" by pictures
    > - words "didnt wrap at the edge" of the window
    > - pictures out of alignment (supposed to be left-aligned, but become
    > right-aligned")
    >
    > Symptoms mentioned are found on browser set in 800 x 600 setting, thus l'm
    > not sure if it's because of setting problem as l've not such problem in my
    > browser using 1024 X 768.
    >
    > Please kindly enlight, thanks
    >
    > BT (pls reply via groups, as email no valid, thanks)

    This question comes up a lot, it seems. You will get a lot of answers
    dictating "fluid design" in this newsgroup, but, strictly speaking, fluid
    design is not a requirement. In all things, there are good designs and
    bad designs, but fundamentally, even textbook examples of either come down
    to subjective preference in many respects.

    Anyways, I say aim for a fluid design. A design that allows the user to
    resize her browser from relatively small/narrow to relatively big/wide and
    still be able to use the site comfortably without overlapping elements
    or a horizontal scrollbar. You can have *some* elements that are fixed in
    width.

    That said, I have seen many fixed-widht designs that I think work quite
    well. But I really think a maximum widht of around 760 pixels is what you
    should go for if you aim for fixed width. 1000 pixels wide is just too
    wide. and definitely *not* 1024 pixels as it does not allow room for
    browser window decorations and scrollbars.

    Personally, I have my screen set at 1600x1200 pixel resolution. However I
    almost never use a full-screen browser window (what's the point? I use
    such high resolotion so I can fit multiple windows on the screen!)
    Typically, my browser window ends up being around 900 pixels wide -- it is
    just a comfortable browsing width for me.

    Of course, there are also other considerations: Who is your audience? What
    is your subject matter? Do you need your site to be "accessible"? Have you
    accounted for other browsers? What about text-only browsers? (Yes, some
    people really do use text-only browsers! More than you think!) What about
    portable devices? And more... All of these things should affect your
    layout and design choices. Or not, if they are not relevant.

    And so on...

    <diatribe>
    I don't think people really understand how much
    effort goes into a well designed website or a detailed and complex web
    application (which is more what I do). I get shit all the time, "could you
    just change this thing a little bit more like this?" or "Would it be
    easy for you to just redesign the database to take this new thing into
    account? Sorry I didn't mention it earlier!" or "how long will it take to
    make this [really huge, complicated, and detailed] website? Can I have it
    tomorrow?" No! You can't friggin have it tomorrow! Sheesh. Maybe if you
    had brought those topics up in the months we spent discussing the details
    of what this website needs!

    But, of course, I have no idea what it takes to, say, put a new head
    gasket in my car or organize a political rally or create a radio talk
    show. Its just that it seems like, since everyone these days *has* a
    computer and *has* FrontPage, well, then everyone is a friggin web
    designer. Well you're not! Stop trying to think you are! And mister
    Manager, please stop giving your complex web project to your secretary who
    can barely figure out how to turn the computer *on* let alone navigate the
    directory hiearchy in [insert favorite file manager here -- I use Linux so
    I have a choice! In windows, you're stuck with Windows Explorer, (not that
    Windows Explorer is really all taht horrible)] or figure out how to
    *really* use FrontPage!! Of course, the *real* way to use FrontPage is TO
    DELETE IT FROM YOUR COMPUTER IMMEDIATELY!! Then take the cd and
    stick it in the microwave for about 4 seconds. It came on your
    MS Office cd set? Boo hoo. get rid of that, too. (Actually, I
    happen to like Word and Excel) Then get a *real* HTML/PHP/ASP editor like,
    say, Vim. Or one of the many other thousand billion code editors out
    there. Even DreamWeaver for butt's sake. But not FrontPage!!
    </diatribe>

    Ooops! I haven't had any coffee yet today. I'll have to remedy that.
    Later...

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Jan 6, 2005
  9. Black Tractor

    Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

    > Ooops! I haven't had any coffee yet today. I'll have to remedy that.
    > Later...

    wow

    :D

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 6, 2005
  10. Black Tractor

    Kerberos Guest

    Em Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:40:05 +0800, Black Tractor
    <blacktractor@NOT_VALID_black.net.sg> escreveu:

    > Hi there..
    >
    > In a simple way l would like to know what setting (ie: in 800 X 600 or
    > 1024
    > X 768 format) you normally set when you design a website?
    >
    > As a frontpage user, l use the setting of 1024 x 768 but many of my
    > friends
    > feedback that when they viewed my site, they saw :-
    >
    > - words "being covered" by pictures
    > - words "didnt wrap at the edge" of the window
    > - pictures out of alignment (supposed to be left-aligned, but become
    > right-aligned")
    >
    > Symptoms mentioned are found on browser set in 800 x 600 setting, thus
    > l'm
    > not sure if it's because of setting problem as l've not such problem in
    > my
    > browser using 1024 X 768.
    >
    > Please kindly enlight, thanks
    >
    > BT (pls reply via groups, as email no valid, thanks)

    I design 100% css layout driven web sites, tableless, liquid design that
    work from 800 x 600 to 1600 x 1200.

    --

    Kerberos.

    http://www.opera.com
    http://www.freebsd.org
    http://www.auriance.com
    http://www.osresources.com
    http://exodus.jabberstudio.org

    Kerberos, Jan 6, 2005
  11. Black Tractor

    Matt Probert Guest

    Once upon a time, far far away, the king summoned "Black Tractor"
    <blacktractor@NOT_VALID_black.net.sg> who replied:

    >Hi there..
    >
    >In a simple way l would like to know what setting (ie: in 800 X 600 or 1024
    >X 768 format) you normally set when you design a website?

    Haven't had this sitcom for a while now. Time to put the kettle
    on.....

    Matt

    --
    If your encyclopaedia doesn't list "widget glass", you're reading the wrong encyclopaedia.
    The Probert Encyclopaedia. Its not the same.

    Matt Probert, Jan 6, 2005
  12. Black Tractor

    Matt Probert Guest

    Once upon a time, far far away, the king summoned SpaceGirl
    <> who replied:

    >depending on the client; either flexible (the site resizes to *any*
    >size) or fixed to fit within 1024x768 [900x650 real] (for band and media
    >heavy sites) or 800x600 [750x500] for clients with a less high-tech
    >audience.

    Would that be a lower tech audience? <g>

    Matt

    --
    Over 16,000 searchable slang definitions from around
    the 'English' speaking world.

    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/slang.htm

    Matt Probert, Jan 6, 2005
  13. Black Tractor

    Matt Probert Guest

    >I design 100% css layout driven web sites, tableless, liquid design that
    >work from 800 x 600 to 1600 x 1200.

    And my car's faster than your car <g>

    Matt

    --
    The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

    Matt Probert, Jan 6, 2005
  14. Black Tractor wrote:
    > Hi there..
    > In a simple way l would like to know what setting (ie: in 800 X 600

    or 1024
    > X 768 format) you normally set when you design a website?

    Totally depends on what the site is used for.

    1: Use flexible design if you are concerned that every one in the world
    can see it no matter the size of the browser.

    2: 800px wide is always a safe bet for everyone but the people in this
    forum, but they are not typical. (If they were typical they would all
    be using IE as their primary browser.)

    People here will give you all the exceptions in the world telling you
    how they only access the web from their phone, and would rather leave a
    site rather than resize their browser. And they are right. A fixed
    size _may_ cause you to lose a customer. But it totally depends on the
    site and what it is trying to accomplish

    YMMV

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jan 6, 2005
  15. C A Upsdell wrote:
    > > As a frontpage user, l use the setting of 1024 x 768 but many of my

    friends
    > > feedback that when they viewed my site, they saw :-

    > With fluid design it is not necessary to assume any particular

    resolution.

    But with fluid design you lose the "layout" To some that is important.

    800px wide is a safe bet if you want to preserve the look and feel of
    the site.

    YMMV

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jan 6, 2005

    Travis Newbury, Jan 6, 2005
  17. Black Tractor

    Karl Core Guest

    "Matt Probert" <> wrote in message

    >>I design 100% css layout driven web sites, tableless, liquid design that
    >>work from 800 x 600 to 1600 x 1200.

    > And my car's faster than your car <g>

    My car can run over your car.

    Karl Core, Jan 6, 2005
  18. Black Tractor

    Eric Jarvis Guest

    Black Tractor blacktractor@NOT_VALID_black.net.sg wrote:

    > In a simple way l would like to know what setting (ie: in 800 X 600 or 1024
    > X 768 format) you normally set when you design a website?

    Both of the above and others. Though only during the styling and testing
    stages.

    --
    eric
    www.ericjarvis.co.uk

    Eric Jarvis, Jan 6, 2005
  19. Black Tractor

    Eric Jarvis Guest

    Karl Core wrote:

    > "Matt Probert" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > >>I design 100% css layout driven web sites, tableless, liquid design that
    > >>work from 800 x 600 to 1600 x 1200.

    > > And my car's faster than your car <g>

    > My car can run over your car.

    My bicycle can out accelerate either of your cars...over the first couple
    of metres.

    Eric Jarvis, Jan 6, 2005
  20. Black Tractor

    Karl Core Guest

    "Eric Jarvis" <> wrote in message
    > Karl Core wrote:
    >>
    >> "Matt Probert" <> wrote in message

    >> > And my car's faster than your car <g>

    >> My car can run over your car.
    >>

    > My bicycle can out accelerate either of your cars...over the first couple
    > of metres.

    Well I dunno about Matt's car, but I bet your bicycle can do a 1/4 mile
    faster than my truck. Its painfully slow, made more painful by the fact that
    I've had more than my fair share of cars with sub- 13 second 1/4 mile times.
    Now I'm lucky to get to 30mph in that time with this monster. But, if you
    ever need a house pulled off its foundation, I'm your man.

    Karl Core, Jan 6, 2005