what browser setting to you use when design website (800 x 600 OR 1024 x 768)??

Eric Jarvis

Karl said:
Well I dunno about Matt's car, but I bet your bicycle can do a 1/4 mile
faster than my truck. Its painfully slow, made more painful by the fact that
I've had more than my fair share of cars with sub- 13 second 1/4 mile times.
Now I'm lucky to get to 30mph in that time with this monster. But, if you
ever need a house pulled off its foundation, I'm your man.

I KNOW it can do over 30mph going slightly down hill because I was once
pulled over for speeding in Morwood. Over taking the police car was
probably a mistake. Though probably less of a mistake then crashing into
the back of it would have been.

Barbara de Zoete

I KNOW it can do over 30mph going slightly down hill because I was once
pulled over for speeding in Morwood. Over taking the police car was
probably a mistake. Though probably less of a mistake then crashing into
the back of it would have been.

My plane out accelerates all of your down to earth wheels. :p

--
,-- --<--@ ---- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: -----------.
| weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html> |

Eric Jarvis

Barbara said:
My plane out accelerates all of your down to earth wheels. :p

Any chance of a lift? I'd like to get to Utrecht in a couple of weekend's
time, to Chicago, Seattle or San Francisco any time over the next six
months, or to somewhere warm sunny and cheap any time at all. I can leave
the bike behind if it's a problem.

SpaceGirl

Matt said:
depending on the client; either flexible (the site resizes to *any*
size) or fixed to fit within 1024x768 [900x650 real] (for band and media
heavy sites) or 800x600 [750x500] for clients with a less high-tech
audience.

Would that be a lower tech audience? <g>

no, but that would be :p

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Barbara de Zoete

Any chance of a lift? I'd like to get to Utrecht in a couple of weekend's
time, to Chicago, Seattle or San Francisco any time over the next six
months, or to somewhere warm sunny and cheap any time at all. I can leave
the bike behind if it's a problem.

Sorry, no go. It's a gliding plane. The winch start has an acceleration that is
truly increadible, but I don't see me soaring it across oceans. The bit between
England (Channel) and France (Manche) is about the biggest distance some people
dare crossing open sea, and then only in the very best conditions.

It is also a single seat plane. :-D

But a local flight as a passanger in a duo glider can always be arranged (from a
site near Arnhem, the city from the movie 'a bridge too far').

--

Barbara said:
Sorry, no go. It's a gliding plane. The winch start has an acceleration that is
truly increadible, but I don't see me soaring it across oceans. The bit between
England (Channel) and France (Manche) is about the biggest distance some people
dare crossing open sea, and then only in the very best conditions.

It is also a single seat plane. :-D

But a local flight as a passanger in a duo glider can always be arranged (from a
site near Arnhem, the city from the movie 'a bridge too far').

I may take you up on that one day. I'm petrified of heights, but for some
reason love being in a plane. I also loved going up in a hot air balloon,
so glider is next on the list.

OTOH there simply isn't enough money in the world to persuade me to make a
parachute jump. Or for the clearing bill for those unfortunate enough to
be underneath.

Barbara de Zoete

I may take you up on that one day.

That's good. I leave it up to my guests to make the decisive move. I never
pressure someone. It is ment to be a joy and not a must.
I'm petrified of heights,

Me to. I don't like flying a glider without a canopy for example. Have done it,
but disliked banking the plane too far. Some silly plastic canopy does the
trick. I can fly up side down if I want to, as long as there is a canopy between
me and the ground.
but for some
reason love being in a plane.

Then you will love being in a glider. The only true flying ;-)
I also loved going up in a hot air balloon,

Never done that, but is on my wish list. Especially since with a balloon you can
be at altitudes like 100 feet or even below that and be very relaxed about it,
while in a glider you are very busy with landing the darn thing. At those
altitudes the pilot of a glider doesn't get a chance to have a nice look around.
I'm curious as to how the world looks like from there.
so glider is next on the list.

Give me notice in advance (the e-mail address used for usenet is valid, but I
don't go there very often. Look at my web site for the current e-mail address in
use; you'll find it in the menu under 'Reageer').
OTOH there simply isn't enough money in the world to persuade me to make a
parachute jump.

Me neither. We fly with parachutes but I don't think anyone in their right mind
will jump out of a well functioning plane.
Or for the clearing bill for those unfortunate enough to
be underneath.

I don't really understand what it is you say here.

--
,-- --<--@ ---- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: -----------.
| weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html> |
| webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html> |
| zweefvliegen | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/vliegen.html> |
`----------------------------------------------------- --<--@ ------------'

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Barbara de Zoete scribbled in the mud:
Me neither. We fly with parachutes but I don't think anyone in their
right mind will jump out of a well functioning plane.

I don't really understand what it is you say here.

SPLAT

Dylan Parry

Eric Jarvis wrote:

[Bicycle]
I KNOW it can do over 30mph going slightly down hill because I was once
pulled over for speeding in Morwood.

Did the policeman confiscate your bicycle clips? :)

Eric Jarvis

Dylan said:
Eric Jarvis wrote:

[Bicycle]
I KNOW it can do over 30mph going slightly down hill because I was once
pulled over for speeding in Morwood.

Did the policeman confiscate your bicycle clips? :)

Actually I got the impression they were suppressing giggles the entire
time they were telling me "don't do it again it's naughty". My bike my be
a good quality Peugeot criterion trainer, but it's pretty old and grotty
looking these days.

www.1-script.com

Black Tractor wrote:

Hi there..
In a simple way l would like to know what setting (ie: in 800 X 600 or
1024
X 768 format) you normally set when you design a website?
As a frontpage user, l use the setting of 1024 x 768 but many of my
friends
feedback that when they viewed my site, they saw :-
- words "being covered" by pictures
- words "didnt wrap at the edge" of the window
- pictures out of alignment (supposed to be left-aligned, but become
right-aligned")
Symptoms mentioned are found on browser set in 800 x 600 setting, thus
l'm
not sure if it's because of setting problem as l've not such problem in
my
browser using 1024 X 768.
Please kindly enlight, thanks
BT (pls reply via groups, as email no valid, thanks)

You are not going to please everyone, ever
Take a guess on your future audience: are they going to be mostly
high-tech (like, young kids you are designing an x-box - related site for)
or low-tech (grandmas you are designing a quilt-related site for)? For
low-tech crowd definitely design the site as it will be viewed on 800x600
screens. For a high-tech crowd IMHO it will be safe to use 1024x768

Sincerely,
Dmitri
http://www.1-script.com/1_search/
Get search engine for your site
http://www.1-script.com/install/
Check out my CGI scripts installation offer
-------------------------------------

Article posted with Web Developer's USENET Archiv
http://www.1-script.com/forum
microsoft.public.frontpage,alt.html,alt.www.webmaster - messages and counting

Dylan Parry

Eric Jarvis wrote:

[Breaking speed limits on a bicycle]
Actually I got the impression they were suppressing giggles the entire
time they were telling me "don't do it again it's naughty".

Where does the law stand on such issues though? Does the speed limit
apply to non-motorised vehicles?

(F'ups set to AWW)

RobM

Dylan Parry said:
Eric Jarvis wrote:

[Breaking speed limits on a bicycle]
Actually I got the impression they were suppressing giggles the entire
time they were telling me "don't do it again it's naughty".

Where does the law stand on such issues though? Does the speed limit
apply to non-motorised vehicles?

Does here.... and the alcohol limit as well !

Rob
Melbourne, Oz

Norman L. DeForest

Normally?

80x25 with PICO as the editor and lynx as the target browser. :)
As others have mentioned, you should actually be aiming for a "liquid"
layout which will expand as necessary to fill the user's available space.
That said, I also recommend an "image-safe size" of 800x600 (actually, 760
width appears to be the better number, as it allows room for browser
chrome). Numerous considerations contribute to this - namely the fact that
roughly 36% of users are still on 800x600 resolution and these users most
often view using a full-screen browser window. This is a large audience
which it would be unwise for you to alienate by designing for a larger
resolution.

And *this* user (ie. me) is limited to 640x480 because his monitor
doesn't support higher resolutions. While in a definite minority,
I don't think I'm alone in this situation.

(I encountered one site just before Christmas that was more accessible
with lynx than it was with a graphical browser. The page specified
"scrolling=no" for the top frame (the one with all of the links on it)
and the most important links in the frame were past the right-hand edge of
my screen with Firefox. The lynx text browser ignored that (and the
images) and I could access the links that way. (A 3.8MB background sound
file didn't help the page's loading time much with Firefox either.))

The place that had the site designed for them are not happy with the site
and say they are getting it redesigned.

Kevin Scholl

Dylan said:
Eric Jarvis wrote:

[Breaking speed limits on a bicycle]
Actually I got the impression they were suppressing giggles the entire
time they were telling me "don't do it again it's naughty".

Where does the law stand on such issues though? Does the speed limit
apply to non-motorised vehicles?

Yes, it does; you are expected to obey all traffic laws while riding a
bicycle. Several ... make that, many ... year sago while in undergrad
school, I used to run competitively. One aspect of my workouts was
cycling. Kind of interesting when doing high-speed rides when the speed
limit in much of the college town was 25mph. I used to pass cars
regularly ... until the cop pulled me. The ticket got framed and put on
the wall of my dorm room for two years!

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
(e-mail address removed)