what browser setting to you use when design website (800 x 600 OR 1024 x 768)??

Donald Link

If you are asking this question you have not been reading any material
in proper web design. What you see is not what visitors see on their
systems. The 800 x 600 should be the standard.

Joel Shepherd

That's not strictly true... users CAN be expected to enlarge their
browser window, and that window cant realistically be any large than the
desktop, which in turn is defined by the resolution of the display. So,
it is relevant for *some* types of sites, but certainly not all.

Errr ... It is plenty possible to make a window larger than the display
size. It's possible to move a window of any size completely out of the
display area. Admittedly, few users do this, but the resizing is easy to
do, and moving a window clean out of view only a little harder.

Never underestimate the silliness of the user...

Norman L. DeForest

Dylan said:
Eric Jarvis wrote:

[Bicycle]
I KNOW it can do over 30mph going slightly down hill because I was once
pulled over for speeding in Morwood.

Did the policeman confiscate your bicycle clips? :)

Actually I got the impression they were suppressing giggles the entire
time they were telling me "don't do it again it's naughty". My bike my be
a good quality Peugeot criterion trainer, but it's pretty old and grotty
looking these days.

Reading that, I can't help thinking of the children's story, _Zoom!_
by Robert Munsch (author of _The_Paper_Bag_Princess_) in which a little
girl named Lauretta gets a ticket for speeding in her new power
wheelchair.

About the book:
http://www.robertmunsch.com/books.cfm?bookid=75

The book cover:
http://www.robertmunsch.com/uploadimages/ACF78A9.JPG

Download page for Zoom! audio file (requires JavaScript):
http://www.robertmunsch.com/playstory.cfm?bookid=75
(But get the book. The last illustration showing the wheelchair that
Lauretta finally gets is priceless!)

Leif K-Brooks

SpaceGirl said:
That's not strictly true... users CAN be expected to enlarge their
browser window, and that window cant realistically be any large than
the desktop, which in turn is defined by the resolution of the
display.

The desktop can span several physical computer screens. Very little
relationship to resolution in that case.

rf

Leif K-Brooks said:
The desktop can span several physical computer screens. Very little
relationship to resolution in that case.

Ah, yes. Mine actually spans three "screens" yet all the javascript "get me
the screen size" functions return only the dimensions of the primary screen.

SpaceGirl

Joel said:
Errr ... It is plenty possible to make a window larger than the display
size. It's possible to move a window of any size completely out of the
display area. Admittedly, few users do this, but the resizing is easy to
do, and moving a window clean out of view only a little harder.

Never underestimate the silliness of the user...

I realise all of that, but it's not "highly likely". The Windows virtual
desktop is vast, pretty much only limited by your video card driver. But
most users dont know this, or make use of it, and if you click the max
button on a window it wont go larger than the physical screen(s).

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Leif said:
The desktop can span several physical computer screens. Very little
relationship to resolution in that case.

Uh huh. But that has nothing to do with this. Most people DONT have more
than one screen; probably a tiny percentage of ppl. And even if you do
have dual screen, would you really want your browser to strech across
both? I dont, with the content interupted by the gap & borders between
the two physical displays.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

(Pete Cresswell)

Per Jeffrey Silverman:
Ooops! I haven't had any coffee yet today. I'll have to remedy that.
Later...

Funny, I find too much coffee makes it worse....