    How hard is Python to learn compared with other languages
    (let's say C#). Can you make fullscreen game with it (for example) ?
    I've looked at http://www.python.org but nothing concrete there

    BOOGIEMAN, Jan 1, 2005

  2. BOOGIEMAN

    Mark Nenadov Guest

    What can you do with Python? Just about anything your heart desires.

    How hard is Python to learn? I'd say it is near the top of the barrel when
    it comes to being easy to learn. I'd certainly say that for the most part,
    you will learn Python much faster than you would learn C#.

    Can you make a full-screen game with it? Yes, most certainly--providing
    you have the skill/knowledge to program a full-screen game. But then again
    that is rarely a matter of having the right programming language, but
    rather a matter of having the right libraries.

    --
    ~Mark Nenadov

    Mark Nenadov, Jan 1, 2005

  3. BOOGIEMAN wrote:
    > Beginners question, but really what can you do with it ?
    > How hard is Python to learn compared with other languages
    > (let's say C#). Can you make fullscreen game with it (for example) ?
    > I've looked at http://www.python.org but nothing concrete there

    For fullscreen games, see PyGame (www.pygame.org). BTW, I don't know of
    a way to write fullscreen games in C#...

    Reinhold

    Reinhold Birkenfeld, Jan 1, 2005
  4. BOOGIEMAN <> wrote:

    > Beginners question, but really what can you do with it ?

    You can write application programs, big or small, of just about any kind
    you may imagine, on just about any platform you may imagine (from
    mainframes and supercomputers down to powerful cellphones such as
    Nokia's S-60 series).

    > How hard is Python to learn compared with other languages
    > (let's say C#).

    Python is among the simplest languages to learn.

    > Can you make fullscreen game with it (for example) ?

    Sure! Have you thought of using google? The first 2 hits for
    python games
    are on www.pygame.org, "This allows you to create fully featured games
    and multimedia programs in the python language", as the google snippet
    says. The third hit is for the book "Game Programming With Python" on
    the amazon site. The 4th one is about Month Python, but the fifth is
    back to our subject -- a "Python Game Programming" page full of useful
    links. Then you get another link to the same book, a link to a
    different book, &c.

    > I've looked at http://www.python.org but nothing concrete there

    You _gotta_ be kidding, right...? The Beginner's Guide link takes you
    right to the BeginnersGuide page which starts with the reassurance that
    Python is easy to learn even if you're new to programming and continues
    with a zillion useful links. The Python Books link takes you to a huge
    list of books, and the FIRST subheading under "specific applications" is
    for game programming, leading you to the two books I already mentioned.
    There's a Search bar, enter Game there, and the FIRST hit is
    http://www.python.org/moin/GameProgramming which STARTS with the
    reassurance that, yes, you CAN "write whole games in Python", and
    besides PyGame also points you to PyKira, "a fast game development
    framework for Python" (which) "also supports MPEG video, sound (MP3, Ogg
    Vorbis, Wav and Multichannel module files), direct images reading and
    much more". Etc, etc, ...!!!

    How much more "concrete" could you expect *ANY* blessed website to BE,
    for Pete's sake?!??!

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Jan 1, 2005
  5. BOOGIEMAN

    Alan Gauld Guest

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 21:57:32 +0100, BOOGIEMAN <
    > (let's say C#). Can you make fullscreen game with it (for example) ?

    <RANT>
    You can but please don't! Make your game run fast in a window.
    I hate fascist games programmers who insist on monopolising a 21
    inch 1600x1200 display and assuming I have nothing better to do
    than play their game. If that's all I wanted to do I'd stick with
    DOS, or buy a Nintendo... I have a multi tasking PC please let me
    multi task!
    </RANT>

    ;-)

    Alan G.

    Author of the Learn to Program website

    Alan Gauld, Jan 1, 2005
  6. BOOGIEMAN

    Brian Beck Guest

    Alex Martelli wrote:
    > You _gotta_ be kidding, right...? The Beginner's Guide link takes you
    > right to the BeginnersGuide page which starts with the reassurance that
    > Python is easy to learn even if you're new to programming and continues
    > with a zillion useful links. The Python Books link takes you to a huge

    While I agree that there is much useful content on the official Python
    site, I particularly hate the BeginnersGuide and much of the resulting
    introduction pages. Often when I happily refer Python to someone who
    wants to learn a simple language, I go to the Python site and imagine
    where I would start if I were them. Once I get to the BeginnersGuide I
    don't see anything immediately useful, and when I look for it I get
    frustrated.

    --
    Brian Beck
    Adventurer of the First Order

    Brian Beck, Jan 2, 2005
  7. BOOGIEMAN

    BOOGIEMAN Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:03:08 -0500, Mark Nenadov wrote:

    > What can you do with Python? Just about anything your heart desires.

    Thanks everybody, I downloaded latest windows version and
    Python-Docs-2.4 archive. Is that enough for absolute beginner.
    Is there any e-book, step by step guide ... etc for download,
    or anything else important what I have to know before I start
    learning Python ?

    BOOGIEMAN, Jan 2, 2005
  8. BOOGIEMAN

    Doug Holton Guest

    BOOGIEMAN wrote:
    > Thanks everybody, I downloaded latest windows version and
    > Python-Docs-2.4 archive. Is that enough for absolute beginner.
    > Is there any e-book, step by step guide ... etc for download,
    > or anything else important what I have to know before I start
    > learning Python ?

    The main thing I would do is subscribe to the python-tutor list. It is
    the best place by far to ask any questions when you are learning to use
    python: http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor

    Second, here are some of the best tutorials specifically designed for
    people with little or no previous programming experience:
    http://www.honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/
    http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/
    http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocpyth.htm
    http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/pyBiblio/

    And lastly, really a great way to learn is to look at what's already out
    there in python. Try out some of the many 3rd party libraries and
    programs for python:
    For games: http://pygame.org/
    For GUI applications: http://www.wxpython.org/
    and others: http://www.python.org/pypi

    Doug Holton, Jan 2, 2005
  9. Speaking of the many libraries people have written I thought I'd mention
    pychess. Don't remember where I found it, but it's easy enough to find on a
    search engine. That's the whole reason I discovered python, searching for a
    good algorithm to use in parsing chess pgn files.

    LutherRevisited, Jan 2, 2005
  10. Aren't games using full screen mode to address only 320 by 240
    resolution for faster screen painting?

    If one used only 320 by 240 in a window, then that would be 1/4 of the
    screen or less!

    --
    Regards,
    Casey

    Casey Hawthorne, Jan 2, 2005
  11. BOOGIEMAN

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Casey Hawthorne wrote:
    > Aren't games using full screen mode to address only 320 by 240
    > resolution for faster screen painting?
    >
    > If one used only 320 by 240 in a window, then that would be 1/4 of the
    > screen or less!

    And, on many of our screens, only a few inches across and too
    small to see without a magnifying glass...

    Providing the user with the *option* of running in a window,
    preferably resizable, or full-screen, would be best.

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Jan 2, 2005
  12. BOOGIEMAN

    Lee Harr Guest

    On 2005-01-02, Brian Beck <> wrote:
    > Alex Martelli wrote:
    >> You _gotta_ be kidding, right...? The Beginner's Guide link takes you
    >> right to the BeginnersGuide page which starts with the reassurance that
    >> Python is easy to learn even if you're new to programming and continues
    >> with a zillion useful links. The Python Books link takes you to a huge

    > While I agree that there is much useful content on the official Python
    > site, I particularly hate the BeginnersGuide and much of the resulting
    > introduction pages. Often when I happily refer Python to someone who
    > wants to learn a simple language, I go to the Python site and imagine
    > where I would start if I were them. Once I get to the BeginnersGuide I
    > don't see anything immediately useful, and when I look for it I get
    > frustrated.

    I think it looks pretty good. The only problem I see is section 5
    where it says:

    5. Did we miss your concern?

    Please add a comment to this page.

    but the page is immutable.

    Lee Harr, Jan 2, 2005
  13. BOOGIEMAN

    Jabaru Guest

    > BTW, I don't know of
    > a way to write fullscreen games in C#...

    Directx, Opengl, Gdi+, win32api, SDL... the list goes on

    Jabaru, Jan 2, 2005
  14. Jabaru wrote:
    >> BTW, I don't know of
    >> a way to write fullscreen games in C#...
    >>

    > Directx, Opengl, Gdi+, win32api, SDL... the list goes on

    Yes, that's right, but most of those you can use in Python, too. I
    should have inserted the word "specific" at the right point in my
    sentence <wink>

    Reinhold

    Reinhold Birkenfeld, Jan 2, 2005
  15. BOOGIEMAN

    John J. Lee Guest

    Lee Harr <> writes:
    [...]
    > I think it looks pretty good. The only problem I see is section 5
    > where it says:
    >
    > 5. Did we miss your concern?
    >
    > Please add a comment to this page.
    >

    > but the page is immutable.

    <pedant>
    Hopefully one of the site maintainers will read this and demonstrate
    that it's actually readonly rather than immutable, then make it
    appendable ;-)
    </pedant>

    John

    John J. Lee, Jan 3, 2005
  16. BOOGIEMAN

    Steve Holden Guest

    John J. Lee wrote:

    > Lee Harr <> writes:
    > [...]
    >
    >>I think it looks pretty good. The only problem I see is section 5
    >>where it says:
    >>
    >>5. Did we miss your concern?
    >>
    >> Please add a comment to this page.
    >>

    >>but the page is immutable.

    > <pedant>
    > Hopefully one of the site maintainers will read this and demonstrate
    > that it's actually readonly rather than immutable, then make it
    > appendable ;-)
    > </pedant>

    To be even more pedantic, I believe it's possible to gain editing
    privileges on the Wiki by authenticating yourself to the engine at

    http://www.python.org/moin/UserPreferences

    The point is to be able to track changes and thereby discourage
    defacement, which was starting to happen of a depressingly regular basis.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
    Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Jan 3, 2005
  17. BOOGIEMAN

    Lee Harr Guest

    On 2005-01-03, Steve Holden <> wrote:
    > John J. Lee wrote:
    >
    >> Lee Harr <> writes:
    >> [...]
    >>
    >>>I think it looks pretty good. The only problem I see is section 5
    >>>where it says:
    >>>
    >>>5. Did we miss your concern?
    >>>
    >>> Please add a comment to this page.
    >>>

    >>>but the page is immutable.

    >> <pedant>
    >> Hopefully one of the site maintainers will read this and demonstrate
    >> that it's actually readonly rather than immutable, then make it
    >> appendable ;-)
    >> </pedant>
    >>

    > To be even more pedantic, I believe it's possible to gain editing
    > privileges on the Wiki by authenticating yourself to the engine at
    >
    > http://www.python.org/moin/UserPreferences
    >
    > The point is to be able to track changes and thereby discourage
    > defacement, which was starting to happen of a depressingly regular basis.

    I do not understand. Are you saying that someone who wants
    to "add a comment to this page" can do so?

    When I clicked on the "edit" link, it said:
    "You are not allowed to edit this page."

    Maybe it should say ...
    "You are not allowed to edit this page. Try logging in first."

    Lee Harr, Jan 4, 2005