What class can let me find out New Moon, Full Moon?

RC

The Subject says its all.

java.util.Calendar and java.util.GreGorianCalendar
can let me find out New Moon, Full Moon.

Paul Lutus

RC said:
The Subject says its all.

java.util.Calendar and java.util.GreGorianCalendar
can let me find out New Moon, Full Moon.

No getting around it. YOu'll have to write some code. Do not cross-post
without a reason.

Roedy Green

java.util.Calendar and java.util.GreGorianCalendar
can let me find out New Moon, Full Moon.

the code for easter is at http://mindprod.com/holidays.html

Try googling for naval observatory new moon full moon. Years ago they
put out a set of polynomials for computing the positions of planets
and the moon.

Another possibility is to look into the Islamic lunar calendar.
Perhaps code for that could give you what you need.

I would be prepared to research this for you and either find the code
or write it for $75 US.

Roedy Green

The Subject says its all.

FWIW, The Indian/Hindu calendar doesn't use 30 day months either.
Low on my list of to dos is to find some code that
calculates the phases of the moon. I would use it in the
HolidayCalculator to calculate Chinese New Year, and write a simple
calendar generator program you could fancy up that shows all the
holidays and moon phases for any year in the future.

This is a repost of something someone posted in 2002 Feb.

Phases of the moon can be found at:
http://www.lunaroutreach.org/phases/phases.cgi

Some other calendars in Java can be found at:
http://www.alphaWorks.ibm.com/tech/calendars

Lots of calendars in C can be found at:
http://www.rdbooks.com/store/products/rd2735.htm

If you want to do the Chinese (or Hindu) Calendar correctly then talk
to this
guy: http://www.math.nus.edu.sg/aslaksen/calendar/chinese.shtml
See particularly the page (and PDF paper) that talks about the
Chinese New Year Calculation:
http://www.math.nus.edu.sg/aslaksen/calendar/chinese.shtml#CNY

To test your date conversions try, either:
http://web.meson.org/calendars/
or
http://emr.cs.uiuc.edu/home/reingold/calendar-book/java/applet/display.html
which comes from the book: