    Turbo C++ (at school =x) and am lucking into a better compilier now
    that I have money to spend. Any comments are accepted, even if they
    are for a different compilier. Thank you in advance.

    SimonYingling, Dec 4, 2004

  2. (SimonYingling) wrote:

    > I'm a young programmer, but definitly see my self doing this for the
    > rest of my life. I'm 15 and into C++. I was wondering if a good
    > compilier for Windows would be Visual C++ 6.0. I have used Dev C++ and
    > Turbo C++ (at school =x) and am lucking into a better compilier now
    > that I have money to spend. Any comments are accepted, even if they
    > are for a different compilier. Thank you in advance.

    If you go for VC++ 6, make sure you get the Professional edition.
    When you buy the Standard edition, you install it then discover
    that the compiler optimizations have been helpfully disabled by M$.

    le ténébreux, Dec 4, 2004

  3. SimonYingling wrote:

    > I'm a young programmer, but definitly see my self doing this for the
    > rest of my life. I'm 15 and into C++. I was wondering if a good
    > compilier for Windows would be Visual C++ 6.0. I have used Dev C++ and
    > Turbo C++ (at school =x) and am lucking into a better compilier now
    > that I have money to spend. Any comments are accepted, even if they
    > are for a different compilier. Thank you in advance.

    The latest version of Visual Studio is 2003.

    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

    Ioannis Vranos, Dec 4, 2004
  4. SimonYingling

    chq Guest

    Try Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit, it's free. You can obtain it at M$ website.

    chq, Dec 5, 2004
  5. EventHelix.com, Dec 5, 2004
  6. SimonYingling wrote:

    > I'm a young programmer, but definitly see my self doing this for the
    > rest of my life. I'm 15 and into C++. I was wondering if a good
    > compilier for Windows would be Visual C++ 6.0. I have used Dev C++ and
    > Turbo C++ (at school =x) and am lucking into a better compilier now
    > that I have money to spend. Any comments are accepted, even if they
    > are for a different compilier. Thank you in advance.

    Just curious: Since Dev-C++ is not a compiler but an IDE, and uses a gcc
    Windows port called "Minimalist GNU for Win32" (mingw32), in how far do you
    feel the MS compiler would be better?

    In fact, my advise would be to NOT start off with a MS compiler when you're
    a beginner. You will get used to all those Microsoft specific extensions,
    and if you some day want to port your programs you'll have a hard time.

    Regards,
    Matthias

    Matthias =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=E4ppler?=, Dec 5, 2004
  7. Matthias Käppler wrote:

    > Just curious: Since Dev-C++ is not a compiler but an IDE, and uses a gcc
    > Windows port called "Minimalist GNU for Win32" (mingw32), in how far do you
    > feel the MS compiler would be better?
    >
    > In fact, my advise would be to NOT start off with a MS compiler when you're
    > a beginner. You will get used to all those Microsoft specific extensions,
    > and if you some day want to port your programs you'll have a hard time.

    Dev-C++ is OK to learn ISO C++. Also nowadays, VC++ is not suitable for
    beginners to learn C++ but is oriented to experienced developers to
    create Windows (.NET) software fast.

    Ioannis Vranos, Dec 5, 2004
  8. Ioannis Vranos wrote:

    > Dev-C++ is OK to learn ISO C++.

    The point is, Dev-C++ is not a compiler, it's an IDE. Therefore, it doesn't
    really have anyting to do with the "learning factor". In fact, it would
    actually be best to start off with a bare text editor and a command line
    compiler instead of a fully fledged IDE. It only hides those things from
    you which you have to learn some day anyway.

    > Also nowadays, VC++ is not suitable for
    > beginners to learn C++ but is oriented to experienced developers to
    > create Windows (.NET) software fast.

    My thoughts.

    Regards,
    Matthias

    Matthias =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=E4ppler?=, Dec 5, 2004
  9. Ioannis Vranos <> wrote in message news:<1102271760.415879@athnrd02>...
    > Matthias Käppler wrote:
    >
    > > Just curious: Since Dev-C++ is not a compiler but an IDE, and uses a gcc
    > > Windows port called "Minimalist GNU for Win32" (mingw32), in how far do you
    > > feel the MS compiler would be better?
    > >
    > > In fact, my advise would be to NOT start off with a MS compiler when you're
    > > a beginner. You will get used to all those Microsoft specific extensions,
    > > and if you some day want to port your programs you'll have a hard time.

    > Dev-C++ is OK to learn ISO C++. Also nowadays, VC++ is not suitable for
    > beginners to learn C++ but is oriented to experienced developers to
    > create Windows (.NET) software fast.

    I disagree. VC++ (2003 edition) is fine for learning C++. Just create
    a Win32 console project and you're up and running. I used VC++ with
    Accelerated C++ with no problem. To turn off MS extensions just use
    the /Za switch.

    --
    Martin

    20thCenturyBoy, Dec 6, 2004
  10. SimonYingling

    Duane Guest

    "Ioannis Vranos" <> wrote in message news:1102271760.415879@athnrd02...
    > Dev-C++ is OK to learn ISO C++. Also nowadays, VC++ is not suitable for
    > beginners to learn C++ but is oriented to experienced developers to
    > create Windows (.NET) software fast.

    How so? We do most of our development these days with VC++/Qt.
    No .Net at all. No MFC. No managed stuff.

    The IDE is OK and the dinkumware libs work fine.
    You're not forced to do any .Net or managed stuff. The first setting to
    change in the IDE is to disable managed extensions. You can then
    build console apps or win32 apps.

    Duane, Dec 6, 2004
  11. Duane wrote:

    > How so? We do most of our development these days with VC++/Qt.
    > No .Net at all. No MFC. No managed stuff.

    I did not say you couldn't do the above. What I said is that it takes
    more effort (because it is needed to create a project) to write a "hello
    world" program in VC++ 7.1 than in Dev-C++ (where you just create a
    ..cpp file and hit Compile).

    By the way I heard that the latest version of QT supports .NET. :)

    Ioannis Vranos, Dec 6, 2004
  12. SimonYingling

    Mike Smith Guest

    chq wrote:

    > Try Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit, it's free. You can obtain it at M$ website.

    It also has no IDE, which may not be what the OP is looking for.

    --
    Mike Smith

    Mike Smith, Dec 6, 2004
  13. SimonYingling

    Mike Smith Guest

    Matthias Käppler wrote:

    > SimonYingling wrote:
    >

    >>I'm a young programmer, but definitly see my self doing this for the
    >>rest of my life. I'm 15 and into C++. I was wondering if a good
    >>compilier for Windows would be Visual C++ 6.0. I have used Dev C++ and
    >>Turbo C++ (at school =x) and am lucking into a better compilier now
    >>that I have money to spend. Any comments are accepted, even if they
    >>are for a different compilier. Thank you in advance.

    > Just curious: Since Dev-C++ is not a compiler but an IDE, and uses a gcc
    > Windows port called "Minimalist GNU for Win32" (mingw32), in how far do you
    > feel the MS compiler would be better?

    Given that the guy is a beginner, he may not understand the difference
    between a compiler and an IDE. Maybe it would be better to explain the
    difference than to browbeat the poor guy?

    --
    Mike Smith

    Mike Smith, Dec 6, 2004
  14. SimonYingling

    Duane Guest

    "Ioannis Vranos" <> wrote in message news:1102357367.19255@athnrd02...

    > I did not say you couldn't do the above. What I said is that it takes
    > more effort (because it is needed to create a project) to write a "hello
    > world" program in VC++ 7.1 than in Dev-C++ (where you just create a
    > .cpp file and hit Compile).

    I'd have to agree with that.

    > By the way I heard that the latest version of QT supports .NET. :)

    We're using 3.3 and it doesn't but I think the 4.0 will. As I say, we don't
    currently use .NET stuff so I haven't paid much attention to it yet.

    Duane, Dec 6, 2004
  15. Duane wrote:

    > We're using 3.3 and it doesn't but I think the 4.0 will. As I say, we don't
    > currently use .NET stuff so I haven't paid much attention to it yet.

    And by the way, you do not need to disable managed extensions to compile
    a Win32, ISO C++ or other unmanaged code in VC++.

    Ioannis Vranos, Dec 6, 2004
  16. Mike Smith wrote:

    > Given that the guy is a beginner, he may not understand the difference
    > between a compiler and an IDE. Maybe it would be better to explain the
    > difference than to browbeat the poor guy?

    I'm not browbeating him. I'm just wondering why he seems to take it as given
    that Borland and MS are better than anything else out there. I just wanted
    to *subtly* tell him that the big ones are not necessarily the best ones.

    (to original poster):
    An IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is basically a set of tools
    which form a complete programming environment for a given language. Like
    Microsoft's Visual Studio. The compiler is just the backend which
    translates a given language to another one (usually to machine code or some
    form of intermediate language).

    Regards,
    Matthias

    Matthias =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=E4ppler?=, Dec 6, 2004
  17. SimonYingling

    Duane Guest

    "Ioannis Vranos" <> wrote in message news:1102364403.480666@athnrd02...
    > And by the way, you do not need to disable managed extensions to compile
    > a Win32, ISO C++ or other unmanaged code in VC++.

    Not if you don't mind a simple "hello world" program taking
    15 seconds to complete...

    Duane, Dec 6, 2004