What criteria should be used to determine asp.net web hoster?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by VM, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. VM

    VM Guest

    I'm looking for an ASP.Net web hoster for my page and I'd like to know what
    I should consider when making my decision.

    Since I'm an independent software consultant, my short-term goal is to
    attract potential clients to the site so they can see my skills through my
    website. I'll send them an email that will have a link to my resume in my
    site; from there, they can just navigate through the site. Although most of
    it will be done through dot net, I'm also going to use Macromedia
    Dreamweaver and Flash.
    On the other hand, I want a hoster that's affordable for someone with a
    limited budget.
    Do you guys have any suggestion on companies that are affordable and have a
    good reputation?

    Also, if I want to impress these clients with my site, what kind of web
    application can I add to the site that'll let them know that I have
    experience with asp.net?

    Thanks again,
    VM
    VM, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Hi VM,

    Thanks for posting in the community! My name is Steven, and I'll be
    assisting you on this issue.
    From your description, you're looking for a ASP.NET web hoster. Also,
    you'd like to get some suggestions on how to choosing a good hoster and
    decorate the pages so as to attract potential clients to your site, yes?

    As for the organization and decoration of the site or pages, Tim's
    suggestions are quite detailed and wonderful, I believe they'll be helpful
    to you. And as for the web hoster, I think there're serval items maybe very
    important, such as the the host server's performance, its hardware
    condition. Since you're using the ASP.NET, you'd like to confirm the
    hosting service provider about the database support. As for the Dreamweaver
    / Flash , they're all common reqirements of a site, I don't think they'll
    be the problem. Also, here is the resource site for the web hosting service
    providers, there're some specialized infos on web hosting, you may have a
    look if you feel necessary:
    #Microsoft Windows Web Hoster Program Resource Site
    http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/webhosting/default.asp

    In addition, I've searched some ASP.NET web hosting services from the
    internet, you may also have a check on them:
    #General Hosting WinWeb
    http://www.generalhosting.com/

    #WebStrike solution
    http://www.webstrikesolutions.com/hosting.html

    #Re-invent hosting
    http://www.re-invent.com/webhosting.asp

    #CyberTarp Web Hosting
    http://cybertarp.com

    Hope they're helpful.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 28, 2004

  3. VM

    VM Guest

    Thanks for all the information. About Brinkster, do you know if they offer
    access to any DB? I know they offer access to SQL server for an additional
    $15. Do you know if they offer anything with mySql?

    Thanks.
    VM

    "Tim S." <> wrote in message
    > Hey VM,
    > I've found Brinkster to be pretty good (www.brinkster.com). You can get

    hosting for as cheap as 15 $/month. If you find out that that you need to do
    something they don't allow (they're not an enterprise server, so for example
    you can't cache web pages with Brinkster), you can always switch to a
    different (more expensive) site later and rerout your Domain name server -
    i.e. a user wouldn't notice a difference.

    > In terms of impressing people, I personally prefer good architecture.

    Having such things as passing data through tiers to a database, exception
    logging, user customization, and security are a good start. Including web
    services as also good. For example, you could make an online address book
    (demonstrate data base connectivity) that you need to log into. The site
    would customize itself based on the log-in. For kicks throw in a webservice
    that does some relevant business functionality (perhaps displays a map or
    does spell checking): http://www.xmethods.net/ve2/Directory.po

    > Although, ultimatley the most impressive thing is a real world

    application. If you're experienced in ASP.Net, you got that experience from
    somewhere - show your clients the sites you've already done.

    VM, Jan 28, 2004
  4. VM,

    I've been having some problems with Brinkster lately. They just can't
    seem to get my log files populated on a consistent basis. I often get
    no log files for weekends and holidays. And this has been going on for
    months. Each time I contact their customer support I get the same
    reply:

    "This feature has been reset to your account. Let us know if you
    continue to have difficulty."

    They recently moved to new servers and my site was down for most of
    the day. I know that because I do have the log files for that day:
    01/22/2004. In fact as of today, that's the last log file I've gotten.

    I'm running ASP.NET, classic ASP, and using Access databases. I'm also
    looking for a more reliable host.

    J.D. Deutschendorf
    www.jangle.net

    J.D. Deutschendorf, Jan 29, 2004
  5. VM

    VM Guest

    Have you found any other company that'll host your site with better service?
    If you do, let me know.

    My email is: myersv at go dot com

    Thanks again.
    VM

    VM, Jan 29, 2004
  6. Hi VM,

    Thanks for your followup. Have you also checked out the Hosters I've listed
    in the last reply? As for the DataBase supporting you mentioned, I've
    reviewed these sites and here is the infos on them:

    #General Hosting WinWeb
    http://www.generalhosting.com/htm/common.htm
    Support MS Access or MySQL

    #WebStrike solution
    http://www.webstrikesolutions.com/hosting.html
    MySQL supported on Linux servers and SQLServer supported.

    #Re-invent hosting
    http://www.re-invent.com/webhosting.asp
    MySQL supported, MS SQLSERVER7/2000 supported, Row text log file supported

    #CyberTarp Web Hosting
    http://cybertarp.com
    Since it is powered by Apache so only MySQL supported

    Please have a view on them to see whether they're helpful. If you need any
    further help, please feel free to let me know.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 29, 2004
  7. VM,

    I'm looking hard at one of Steven's suggested hosts: Re-invent.

    #Re-invent hosting
    http://www.re-invent.com/webhosting.asp
    MySQL supported, MS SQLSERVER7/2000 supported, Raw text log file supported

    J.D. Deutschendorf, Jan 29, 2004
  8. VM

    VM Guest

    I checked out those hosters but I'm looking for a company that has a good
    reputation. I usually check with http://www.webhostmagazine.com/ and, from
    the ones you gave me, WebstrikeSolution was the only one reviewed with 83%
    satisfaction. The others were not listed so I'm not sure how reliable they
    are.
    On the other hand, WebstrikeSolution gives you the first 12 months free and
    it's only $8 a month for the 2nd year, which is very good for someone (like
    myself) with a limited budget.

    I think WebstrikeSolution is a good choice for me.

    Thanks,
    VM

    VM, Jan 29, 2004
  9. Hi VM,

    Have you got any progress on looking for the WebHoster or have you check
    the sites I provided in the former reply? Please feel free to post here if
    you need any assistance.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 31, 2004
  10. The choice of the hoster will depend on many parameters on which only
    you could decide depending upon your locale and pocket.

    As far as the type of app is concerned, it should ideally be an
    application that shows database interactions with Crystal Reports
    formatted with XML datasources, a dataset oriented-display of data in
    the form of datagrids that implement Event Bubbling (ie. your datagrid
    should allow users to edit the displayed data) and a web service.

    And, if you can show all the interaction with your website on SSL
    (https), you should be able to impress.

    But then, a thought comes to my mind, if you can do all the above then
    why look for a job ?

    with regards,

    J.V.Ravichandran
    - http://www.geocities.com/
    jvravichandran
    - http://www.411asp.net/func/search?
    qry=Ravichandran+J.V.&cob=aspnetpro
    - http://www.southasianoutlook.com
    - http://www.MSDNAA.Net
    - http://www.csharphelp.com
    - http://www.poetry.com/Publications/
    display.asp?ID=P3966388&BN=999&PN=2
    - Or, just search on "J.V.Ravichandran"
    at http://www.Google.com

    Ravichandran J.V., Jan 31, 2004
  11. VM

    VM Guest

    Yeah. I think I'll go with WebstrikeSolution since they give you the first
    year free and it's only $8 a month. The only problem, and I emailed the
    company about it, is if they offer any type of DB support.

    VM, Jan 31, 2004
  12. VM

    VM Guest

    Thanks for the info. That would make for a pretty awesome page.
    Out of curiosity, what did you mean with not having to look for a job if I
    knew all of this?

    Since I'm a free-lance consultant, the page isn't really to look for a job.
    It's so potential clients see for themselves what kind of experience I have
    with web development.

    Thanks.
    VM

    VM, Feb 2, 2004
  13. VM

    .NETgeek Guest

    re:What criteria should be used to determine asp.net web hoster

    I use www.dotnetpark.com for 17 months and are absolutely satisfied.

    Lowest prices (about $6-$7/month). You have MS SQL even with the
    cheapest plan. They allow DLL's in your BIN folder (code-behind).
    Good performance and excellent support team (MCSD).

    http://www.usenet.com
    .NETgeek, Feb 29, 2004