    suggestions appreciated. Thanks,

    victor
    , Apr 30, 2008

  2. Morya Guest

    Hello Victor,

    I would suggest that you can go ahead and pick-up a small programming/
    language specific book. Say "Thinking in C++" kinds. This will help
    you get started with your assignments.

    My experience, when I had helped a civil engg buddy of mine back in
    college days he didn't really require a lot of data structures but
    needed lot of math and huge formulas. We had written a small piece of
    code to handle some truss design. Most of this contained defining huge
    number of constants and putting them in formulae. So, this would
    depend on the type of application that you are targeting to develop.

    Lastly, this really isn't a C++ question. Try other appropriate news
    groups.

    cheers,
    Moh

    Morya, Apr 30, 2008

  3. aaragon Guest

    On Apr 30, 12:58 pm, Morya <> wrote:
    > Hello Victor,
    >
    > I would suggest that you can go ahead and pick-up a small programming/
    > language specific book. Say "Thinking in C++" kinds. This will help
    > you get started with your assignments.
    >
    > My experience, when I had helped a civil engg buddy of mine back in
    > college days he didn't really require a lot of data structures but
    > needed lot of math and huge formulas. We had written a small piece of
    > code to handle some truss design. Most of this contained defining huge
    > number of constants and putting them in formulae. So, this would
    > depend on the type of application that you are targeting to develop.
    >
    > Lastly, this really isn't a C++ question. Try other appropriate news
    > groups.
    >
    > cheers,
    > Moh
    >
    > On Apr 30, 9:40 pm, ""
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I am a beginner (a civil engineer who needs to know programming) and
    > > i need to know what specific subjects i need to know in order to start
    > > using/programming/creating data structures. I have Deitel's book for
    > > example and i want to know if i have to read the 1200 pages before i
    > > begin. It is very important for me to start as soon as possible. all
    > > suggestions appreciated. Thanks,

    > > victor

    Don't implement the data structures yourself, use the ones that are
    provided by the standard library. I would suggest reading the book "C+
    + Standard Library - Tutorial and reference". There is a lot of work
    put in the design of the std data structures so there is no need to
    reimplement that yourself.

    aa
    aaragon, Apr 30, 2008

    On 30 abr, 22:19, aaragon <> wrote:
    > On Apr 30, 12:58 pm, Morya <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hello Victor,

    > > I would suggest that you can go ahead and pick-up a small programming/
    > > language specific book. Say "Thinking in C++" kinds. This will help
    > > you get started with your assignments.

    > > My experience, when I had helped a civil engg buddy of mine back in
    > > college days he didn't really require a lot of data structures but
    > > needed lot of math and huge formulas. We had written a small piece of
    > > code to handle some truss design. Most of this contained defining huge
    > > number of constants and putting them in formulae. So, this would
    > > depend on the type of application that you are targeting to develop.

    > > Lastly, this really isn't a C++ question. Try other appropriate news
    > > groups.

    > > cheers,
    > > Moh

    > > On Apr 30, 9:40 pm, ""

    > > <> wrote:
    > > > Hi,

    > > >  I am a beginner (a civil engineer who needs to know programming) and
    > > > i need to know what specific subjects i need to know in order to start
    > > > using/programming/creating data structures. I have Deitel's book for
    > > > example and i want to know if i have to read the 1200 pages before i
    > > > begin. It is very important for me to start as soon as possible. all
    > > > suggestions appreciated. Thanks,

    > > > victor

    > Don't implement the data structures yourself, use the ones that are
    > provided by the standard library. I would suggest reading the book "C+
    > + Standard Library - Tutorial and reference". There is a lot of work
    > put in the design of the std data structures so there is no need to
    > reimplement that yourself.
    >
    > aa- Ocultar texto de la cita -
    >
    > - Mostrar texto de la cita -

    actually i should have specified what i want. Sorry. Let´s say i need
    to make some finite element code. I need to use spatial data
    structures. So far i have read the fifth chapter of deitel´s book
    (classes). Do i need to learn all the characteristics of the language
    in order to understand a data structures ? What else, besides classes,
    do i need to read ?
    , Apr 30, 2008
  5. utab Guest

    On Apr 30, 10:33 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On 30 abr, 22:19, aaragon <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Apr 30, 12:58 pm, Morya <> wrote:

    > > > Hello Victor,

    > > > I would suggest that you can go ahead and pick-up a small programming/
    > > > language specific book. Say "Thinking in C++" kinds. This will help
    > > > you get started with your assignments.

    > > > My experience, when I had helped a civil engg buddy of mine back in
    > > > college days he didn't really require a lot of data structures but
    > > > needed lot of math and huge formulas. We had written a small piece of
    > > > code to handle some truss design. Most of this contained defining huge
    > > > number of constants and putting them in formulae. So, this would
    > > > depend on the type of application that you are targeting to develop.

    > > > Lastly, this really isn't a C++ question. Try other appropriate news
    > > > groups.

    > > > cheers,
    > > > Moh

    > > Don't implement the data structures yourself, use the ones that are
    > > provided by the standard library. I would suggest reading the book "C+
    > > + Standard Library - Tutorial and reference". There is a lot of work
    > > put in the design of the std data structures so there is no need to
    > > reimplement that yourself.

    > > aa- Ocultar texto de la cita -

    > > - Mostrar texto de la cita -

    > actually i should have specified what i want. Sorry. Let´s say i need
    > to make some finite element code. I need to use spatial data
    > structures. So far i have read the fifth chapter of deitel´s book
    > (classes). Do i need to learn all the characteristics of the language
    > in order to understand a data structures ? What else, besides classes,
    > do i need to read ?

    Finite element codes are not easy to handle in a language like C++(a
    careful object oriented design, followed by implementation), however
    there are many open source C++ finite element projects, where using
    one of them for the moment(until you get comfortable with the
    language) will be wise.

    BTW, for finite element programming MATLAB or OCTAVE seems perfect
    alternatives, especially if you have access to a legal version of the
    first one.

    Best
    utab, Apr 30, 2008
  6. aaragon Guest

    On Apr 30, 4:48 pm, utab <> wrote:
    > On Apr 30, 10:33 pm, ""
    >

    > <> wrote:

    > > > Don't implement the data structures yourself, use the ones that are
    > > > provided by the standard library. I would suggest reading the book "C+
    > > > + Standard Library - Tutorial and reference". There is a lot of work
    > > > put in the design of the std data structures so there is no need to
    > > > reimplement that yourself.

    > > > aa- Ocultar texto de la cita -

    > > > - Mostrar texto de la cita -

    > > actually i should have specified what i want. Sorry. Let´s say i need
    > > to make some finite element code. I need to use spatial data
    > > structures. So far i have read the fifth chapter of deitel´s book
    > > (classes). Do i need to learn all the characteristics of the language
    > > in order to understand a data structures ? What else, besides classes,
    > > do i need to read ?

    > Finite element codes are not easy to handle in a language like C++(a
    > careful object oriented design, followed by implementation), however
    > there are many open source C++ finite element projects, where using
    > one of them for the moment(until you get comfortable with the
    > language) will be wise.
    >
    > BTW, for finite element programming MATLAB or OCTAVE seems perfect
    > alternatives, especially if you have access to a legal version of the
    > first one.
    >
    > Best

    I completely disagree with utab's statement. C++ fits perfectly for
    finite element codes, specially if it involves a little bit more than
    the standard finite element method. I implemented a gfem myself
    (generalized or extended finite element method) and C++ is perfect for
    it since it involves some heavy computational geometry. On the octave
    and matlab sid? Don't even try it!!! Those are interpreted languages,
    so even though they are very easy to code, you cannot get a good
    performing application out of it. If you are going to use just the
    standard fem, you can try fortran since coding in C++ requires you to
    have some goodies found in fortran already. I have to code my own
    matrix and vector classes because I didn't want to use a library on my
    gfem code.

    aa
    aaragon, Jun 22, 2008