    Weasel Guest

    What do i use to compile , and basically program in windows? Since at
    home i use linux, but at school they dont have linux... what can i use?

    Weasel, Nov 5, 2005

  2. Weasel

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Weasel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What do i use to compile , and basically program in windows?
    >Since at
    > home i use linux, but at school they dont have linux... what can i use?

    See sections 5, 6, 7
    (Better yet, read the whole document)

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Nov 5, 2005

  3. Weasel

    Guest

    , Nov 5, 2005
  4. Weasel wrote:
    > What do i use to compile , and basically program in windows? Since at
    > home i use linux, but at school they dont have linux... what can i use?

    Text editor, compiler suite (e.g. www.mingw.org), build system (I think
    'make' comes with mingw32).

    Matthias Kaeppler, Nov 5, 2005
  5. Weasel

    savagesmc Guest

    If you are used to linux, then cygwin is your best option. It provides
    a very functional set of the same development tools that you get with
    linux - gcc/g++, sed, awk, perl, python, make, autoconf, automake,
    etc..... The website for cygwin was already given in this thread.

    However, if you want to write "windows" programs, microsoft has their
    compiler available for free download:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

    Good luck, and have fun.

    Steve

    savagesmc, Nov 5, 2005
  6. * Weasel:
    > What do i use to compile , and basically program in windows? Since at
    > home i use linux, but at school they dont have linux... what can i use?

    Many others have suggested CygWin, but although it's a great command
    interpreter environment you have to bend backwards to produce Windows
    programs.

    All that work has been done for you, by the MingW folks, so if you're
    considering CygWin, use MingW instead (and CygWin as an extra Unix-like
    command interpreter if you like).

    For links to the above plus other compilers and documentation etc., see
    <url:
    http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32cpptut/html/w32cpptut_01_01_02.html>.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

    Alf P. Steinbach, Nov 5, 2005
  7. Weasel

    savagesmc Guest

    I think that Alf guy is misleading the original poster by telling him
    that you can't write c++ programs in cygwin, and that MingW what he
    must use. Cygwin is much more than just a unix-like command
    interpreter, it comes with a compiler, linker, and all the other stuff
    you need to compile and run ansi compilant (or close to it) c++
    programs. It has a fairly posix compilant pthreads library for
    mutlithreaded applications, and it has a sockets library so you can
    write networking applications if you want. If you install the X11
    option, you can even compile and run X11 based graphics applications in
    cygwin.

    What I think Alf was trying to say is that out of the box, programs
    compiled in cygwin require the cygwin dynamic link library in order to
    execute. This is no problem if you are just running on the same pc
    that you compiled on - you already have the dll installed just to be
    able to use the cygwin tools. If you want to deliver that software to
    someone, they'll need the same version of cygwin.dll that was used when
    compiling the program. Not really applicable to this thread, because
    the poster indicated he just wants to be able to work on homework at
    home.

    While MingW may also work for a lot of things - probably homework
    included, my experience is that you get a much more complete
    development environment when you use cygwin.

    But do whatever you want, either tool MingW or Cygwin will probably
    work for what you are doing. Just don't believe the post that says you
    can't compile and run your programs in cygwin.

    savagesmc, Nov 5, 2005
  8. Weasel

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "savagesmc" <> wrote in message
    >I think that Alf guy is misleading the original poster by telling him
    > that you can't write c++ programs in cygwin,

    Where in his message did he say that?

    > and that MingW what he
    > must use.

    Where in his message did he say that?

    > Cygwin is much more than just a unix-like command
    > interpreter,

    Alf never claimed otherwise.

    > it comes with a compiler, linker, and all the other stuff
    > you need to compile and run ansi compilant (or close to it) c++
    > programs.

    Alf never claimed otherwise.

    > It has a fairly posix compilant pthreads library for
    > mutlithreaded applications, and it has a sockets library so you can
    > write networking applications if you want. If you install the X11
    > option, you can even compile and run X11 based graphics applications in
    > cygwin.

    None of those features are applicable to standard C++, the
    topic of this newsgrop.

    > What I think Alf was trying to say is that out of the box, programs
    > compiled in cygwin require the cygwin dynamic link library in order to
    > execute.

    No he didn't, and no they don't.

    >This is no problem if you are just running on the same pc
    > that you compiled on - you already have the dll installed just to be
    > able to use the cygwin tools. If you want to deliver that software to
    > someone, they'll need the same version of cygwin.dll that was used when
    > compiling the program. Not really applicable to this thread, because
    > the poster indicated he just wants to be able to work on homework at
    > home.

    And Cygwin, among many other possiblities, can provide
    that.

    > While MingW may also work for a lot of things - probably homework
    > included, my experience is that you get a much more complete
    > development environment when you use cygwin.

    Not necessarily. It depends upon what you're developing.

    > But do whatever you want, either tool MingW or Cygwin will probably
    > work for what you are doing. Just don't believe the post that says you
    > can't compile and run your programs in cygwin.

    Alf did not post such a claim.

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Nov 6, 2005
  9. Weasel

    ben Guest

    Weasel wrote:
    > What do i use to compile , and basically program in windows? Since at
    > home i use linux, but at school they dont have linux... what can i use?

    If you are a restricted user on your school computer systems then you
    are unlikely to be able to install anything. Talk to your admin or just
    have a look at what they have already. I remember once I had to use
    notepad to edit source and send it over telnet to my home to compile,
    then retrieve the program via ftp, very unpleasant experience.

    Ben

    ben, Nov 6, 2005
  10. Weasel

    Weasel Guest

    Hey, my high school computers are restricted, some websites are
    blocked, you cant download at all and you cant install at all... do you
    think it would work if ia sked to admin to install or download a
    compiler on just my computer?

    Weasel, Nov 7, 2005
  11. Weasel wrote:

    > Hey, my high school computers are restricted, some websites are
    > blocked, you cant download at all and you cant install at all... do you
    > think it would work if ia sked to admin to install or download a
    > compiler on just my computer?

    It can work much better that if you don't ask.

    --
    Salu2

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo, Nov 7, 2005
  12. Weasel

    Weasel Guest

    what do you mean

    Weasel, Nov 7, 2005
  13. Weasel

    mlimber Guest

    Weasel wrote:
    > Hey, my high school computers are restricted, some websites are
    > blocked, you cant download at all and you cant install at all... do you
    > think it would work if ia sked to admin to install or download a
    > compiler on just my computer?

    Ask your admin. S/he should be able to get one of the free tools
    mentioned and install it without a problem. It could be done locally or
    on the network and would work either place. It seems that you're pretty
    much at mercy of your admin.

    Cheers! --M

    mlimber, Nov 7, 2005
  14. Weasel

    Default User Guest

    Weasel wrote:

    > what do you mean

    What do YOU mean?

    Brian

    header.

    Default User, Nov 7, 2005
  15. savagesmc schrieb:
    > I think that Alf guy is misleading the original poster by telling him
    > that you can't write c++ programs in cygwin, and that MingW what he
    > must use. Cygwin is much more than just a unix-like command
    > interpreter, it comes with a compiler, linker, and all the other stuff
    > you need to compile and run ansi compilant (or close to it) c++

    As does MingW/MsysDTK.

    > programs. It has a fairly posix compilant pthreads library for
    > mutlithreaded applications, and it has a sockets library so you can
    > write networking applications if you want. If you install the X11
    > option, you can even compile and run X11 based graphics applications in
    > cygwin.

    And have a complete different environment within your windows
    environment, on the cost of an emulation layer between them.
    MingW is more windows friendly while being an almost complete unix-ish
    environment - not any worse than Cygwin.
    A difference is, that it wraps the microsoft libc implementation and
    other things, rather than adding a runtime emulation layer. However,
    much of MingW would not have been possible without the work put into cygwin.

    > While MingW may also work for a lot of things - probably homework
    > included, my experience is that you get a much more complete
    > development environment when you use cygwin.

    I use MinGW, and I use it not for homework. It does not only work for a
    lot of things, it also works for more things better than Cygwin, without
    violating the rest of the system. And it is also fairly complete.
    Windows became my friend with MinGW ;-). Not my best friend, but anyhow...

    Eckhard

    Eckhard Lehmann, Nov 8, 2005
  16. Weasel schrieb:
    > Hey, my high school computers are restricted, some websites are
    > blocked, you cant download at all and you cant install at all... do you
    > think it would work if ia sked to admin to install or download a
    > compiler on just my computer?

    You should honestly talk to your admin. If that does not help, talk to
    the teacher of your programming course and tell him that he should talk
    to the admin..

    Eckhard

    Eckhard Lehmann, Nov 8, 2005
  17. Weasel

    Ed Jensen Guest

    Alf P. Steinbach <> wrote:
    > Many others have suggested CygWin, but although it's a great command
    > interpreter environment you have to bend backwards to produce Windows
    > programs.

    You can compile Windows programs pretty easily with Cygwin. Just
    invoke g++ with the -mwindows option. If you don't want your program
    to use anything from Cygwin, invoke it with the -mno-cygwin option.

    For example:
    g++ -o foo.exe -mwindows -mno-cygwin foo.cpp

    AFAIK, this will produce foo.exe which should run on Windows-based PCs
    without Cygwin installed.

    Ed Jensen, Nov 8, 2005