    Did Knuth invent a handy term for such a thing?

    Thanks.
    333

    Bush is a Fascist, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Bush is a Fascist

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:06:44 +0100, Bush is a Fascist <>
    wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > What do most languages call a name-value pairing?
    >
    > Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
    > a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?
    >
    > Did Knuth invent a handy term for such a thing?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > 333

    A tuple, or 2-tuple in this case, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuple)?

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.dandyer.co.uk

    Daniel Dyer, Aug 16, 2005

  3. Bush is a Fascist

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:11:19 +0100, "Daniel Dyer"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >A tuple, or 2-tuple in this case, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuple)?

    that just means an n-tuple, fitting pairs or triples of anything. It
    is correct, but does not imply name and value as he requested. )

    How about:

    named values

    keyword parameters as opposed to positional parameters (JCL
    terminology)

    properties (CSS terminology)

    keyword=value

    cavies (gnuage whimsy)

    Roedy Green, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Bush is a Fascist

    John Dunlop Guest

    Bush is a Fascist wrote:

    > What do most languages call a name-value pairing?

    In your English you call it a 'name-value pairing', if that
    helps.

    --
    Jock

    John Dunlop, Aug 16, 2005
  5. Bush is a Fascist

    NC Guest

    Bush is a Fascist wrote:

    > What do most languages call a name-value pairing?

    A symbol table?

    > Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
    > a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?

    Well, some names (functions, for example) don't have corresponding
    values; they correspond to code snippets...

    Cheers,
    NC

    NC, Aug 17, 2005
  6. "Bush is a Fascist" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > What do most languages call a name-value pairing?
    >
    > Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
    > a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?

    Mapping.
    Map.
    Relation.
    Function.
    Table.
    Dictionary.
    ???????????

    George Cherry, Aug 17, 2005
  7. Bush is a Fascist

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article <>, NC
    <> wrote:

    > Bush is a Fascist wrote:
    > >
    > > What do most languages call a name-value pairing?

    > A symbol table?

    Associative array?

    Jim Gibson, Aug 17, 2005
  8. Bush is a Fascist

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:03:00 -0400, "George Cherry"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >Mapping.
    >Map.
    >Relation.
    >Function.
    >Table.
    >Dictionary.

    the Forth term is "vocabulary"

    It depend on what the values are. Dictionary implies a definition.
    Map implies a correspondence between two sets.
    Function implies something that is computed.

    What do the SQL people call them?

    Roedy Green, Aug 17, 2005
  9. Bush is a Fascist

    Richard Bos Guest

    "Bush is a Fascist" <> wrote:

    > What do most languages call a name-value pairing?

    A troll.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Aug 17, 2005
  10. <PLONK>

    Thomas G. Marshall, Aug 17, 2005
  11. >Mapping.
    >Map.
    >Relation.
    >Function.
    >Table.
    >Dictionary.

    Oh jeez, now I see why I should have *never* sold my
    discrete math book back to the college.

    Hmm...anybody know of a discrete math cheet sheet
    anywhere on the Web?

    Bush is a Fascist, Aug 17, 2005
  12. Bush is a Fascist

    Virgil Green Guest

    Bush is a Fascist wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > What do most languages call a name-value pairing?
    >
    > Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
    > a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?
    >
    > Did Knuth invent a handy term for such a thing?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > 333

    I would suggest ... "map"

    --
    Virgil

    Virgil Green, Aug 17, 2005
  13. Bush is a Fascist

    Chung Leong Guest

    I believe it's called a pong lo'laHghach chang'eng in Klingon.

    Chung Leong, Aug 17, 2005
  14. Bush is a Fascist

    Joe Smith Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:03:00 -0400, "George Cherry"
    > <> wrote or quoted :
    >>Table.
    >>Dictionary.

    > the Forth term is "vocabulary"
    >
    > It depend on what the values are. Dictionary implies a definition.

    They're called dictionaries in PostScript.
    The value is defined.
    -Joe

    Joe Smith, Aug 17, 2005
  15. Bush is a Fascist

    John Currier Guest

    Bush is a Fascist wrote:
    > What do most languages call a name-value pairing?
    >
    > Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
    > a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?

    If I remember correctly in Smalltalk it's called a Pair.

    John
    http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net

    John Currier, Aug 19, 2005
  16. Bush is a Fascist

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    John Currier wrote:
    > Bush is a Fascist wrote:
    >
    >>What do most languages call a name-value pairing?
    >>
    >>Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
    >>a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?

    > If I remember correctly in Smalltalk it's called a Pair.

    The std::pair ("standard pair") template is a common way to represent
    this concept in C++, too.

    Jeff Schwab, Aug 19, 2005
  17. Are these synonymous:
    - name-value pairing
    - associative array
    - hash
    - dictionary

    "John Currier" <> wrote:

    >Bush is a Fascist wrote:
    >> What do most languages call a name-value pairing?
    >>
    >> Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
    >> a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?

    >If I remember correctly in Smalltalk it's called a Pair.
    >
    >John
    >http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net

    --
    Regards,
    Casey

    Casey Hawthorne, Aug 21, 2005
  18. Casey Hawthorne coughed up:
    > Are these synonymous:
    > - name-value pairing
    > - associative array
    > - hash
    > - dictionary

    Not quite. A hash is a technique to facilitate the indexing into a
    name-value pairing, associative array, or a dictionary.

    --
    "Realtor" and "realty" are pronounced "reel'-tor" and
    "reel'-tee", *not* "reel'-a-tor" and "reel'-i-tee" !!!!

    Thomas G. Marshall, Aug 22, 2005