What do you think about jquery, asp.net and release software faster

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Big George, Aug 29, 2009.

  1. Big George

    Big George Guest

    Hello,

    I'd like to talk about some experiences I had last day. At my job, we
    had to release an asp.net application in 24 hours. That asp.net
    project was already developed two years ago and interacts with an
    Oracle database . It worked at that time. Then, yesterday were
    requested some changes in database or new functionalities for the web
    application to add. The people that originally developed that
    application were gone.

    We realized that the database design was absolutely terrible. We spent
    too much time understanding the tables and schemas.

    A co-worker of mine was directly encharged to program the new
    functionalities. What he did was to program the new requested
    functionalities in jquery and json. He said that these ones make the
    application to perform faster. And he is right. jquery and json work
    at client side and not server side, which makes the application to
    postback less, specially if the application interacts with a database
    server.

    I dont know too much about jquery or jason, but I think there are
    advantages and disavantages.

    Advantages:
    - programming in jquery or json makes user experience more delighted.
    (Validations are done at client side and less postbacks)
    - your asp.net application, that interacts with a an Oracle database,
    would respond faster in places were bandwith is a problem.

    Disadvantages:
    - Spending a lot of time for programming (my co-worker finished after
    maybe 14-15 hours)
    - Maintaining code gets more difficult. (When new changes were
    requested, you should follow and understand logic on the html page!)
    - If we program in jquery or json, what for we use asp.net? why don't
    program in php?

    What do you think about this? Do you think that programming in jquery
    or json is a good idea, even if you don't have to release a software
    in 24 hours?

    Big George, Aug 29, 2009

  2. the advantages you list are advantages you can have without users json or
    jquery.

    but why use asp.net, because you should be using a 3 or more tier design if
    you want to have a scalable site and one that is manageable. If you think
    you can do with php, then I doubt that you understand Object Orientated
    programming or the advantages of n-tier design. Its one thing to make
    something happen, its another to make it happen elegantly and in a managed
    way, that will perform under load the same as it does for a single user.

    ThatsIT.net.au, Aug 29, 2009