    short in the dark. I am also not sure what languages fall into this
    family I think sometimes Java is included and maybe other times it is
    not?
    John Creighton, Apr 1, 2005

  2. John Creighton

    Alan Balmer Guest

    On 1 Apr 2005 14:28:52 -0800, (John
    Creighton) wrote:

    >What does BCPL stand for is it one language or a family of languages.
    >My bust guess it the B C Programming Languages. But that is just a
    >short in the dark. I am also not sure what languages fall into this
    >family I think sometimes Java is included and maybe other times it is
    >not?

    It stands for Before C Programming Language ;-)

    More seriously, look here:
    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?BcplLanguage

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting
    Alan Balmer, Apr 1, 2005

  3. On 1 Apr 2005 14:28:52 -0800, in comp.lang.c ,
    (John Creighton) wrote:

    >What does BCPL stand for is it one language or a family of languages.

    google is your friend.

    >My bust guess it the B C Programming Languages.

    nope!

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Apr 2, 2005
  4. John Creighton

    CBFalconer Guest

    Alan Balmer wrote:
    > (John Creighton) wrote:
    >
    >> What does BCPL stand for is it one language or a family of
    >> languages. My bust guess it the B C Programming Languages. But
    >> that is just a short in the dark. I am also not sure what
    >> languages fall into this family I think sometimes Java is
    >> included and maybe other times it is not?

    > It stands for Before C Programming Language ;-)

    Dang. Beat me to it.

    --
    Some useful references about C:
    <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
    CBFalconer, Apr 2, 2005
  5. John Creighton

    Guest

    Al Balmer
    "> It stands for Before C Programming Language ;-)"

    "Christopher Strachey designed CPL (CplLanguage), which begat BCPL,
    which begat B (BeeLanguage), which begat C (CeeLanguage), which begat
    C++ (CeePlusPlus), which begat Java (JavaLanguage), which begat C#
    (CsharpLanguage), ..."
    From: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?BcplLanguage

    "One of the key ideas was to make space efficiency, as well as time
    efficiency, a fundamental criterion. The vehicle for achieving this
    goal was to use a systems implementation language from the BCPL family
    rather than LISP. (Initially, MAPLE was implemented in B on a Honeywell
    computer but soon the C language became the obvious widely-available
    implementation language.)"
    From: http://www.scg.uwaterloo.ca/SCG/history.html

    "Most systems programming today is done in the BCPL family of
    languages, which includes B, Bliss, and C. The beauty of these
    languages is the modest cost with which they were able to take a great
    leap forward from assembly language."
    From:
    http://www.db.informatik.uni-kassel.de/Help/pascal/einfuehrung/mod3-int.html

    "C# / .NET is not the first language of it type. It's been developed
    with the experience obtained from Java, C++, COM/DCOM/ActiveX, Visual
    Basic, and others. As such it has learned from the pitfalls of those
    languages. For reference C++ is a culmination of the experience that
    came out of SmallTalk and the BCPL-family of languages (C++ is the 4th
    incarnation of the BCPL-family: BCPL, B, C, and C++)."
    From:
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/printthread.php?t=297444&page=2&pp=15

    Well, I had read on the web before that most common languages like C
    C++ and Java are essentially the same and part of the BCPL family. I
    don't think Java is usally included as part of this family. I think
    usually just CPL BCPL B C. I think it is common to reffere to a family
    of languages by mentioning just one language in it. I think this is a
    rather vauge and misleading way to talk about languages. Anyway, the
    following diagram should better explain the relationship between
    languages:
    http://faramir.rug.ac.be/courses/soot1/dungeon/histlang.html
    Looking at the diagram it is odd that I read that Paskel and Modula are
    part of the ALGO family and B and C are part of a lower level family
    (BCPL) and Lisp is at the opposite extreme. How can someone not
    directly in the computer science field intelligently right about this
    stuff when the experts don't seem to keep it straight.
    , Apr 2, 2005
  6. On Sat, 1 Apr 2005 wrote:

    > Al Balmer
    > "> It stands for Before C Programming Language ;-)"

    (Note the winky ;-) and the date Al posted his response. BCPL actually
    stands for "Basic" or "Bootstrap" CPL, where CPL stands for "Combined
    Programming Language," since two universities collaborated in its design
    (according to Wikipedia).)

    > "Christopher Strachey designed CPL (CplLanguage), which begat BCPL,
    > which begat B (BeeLanguage), which begat C (CeeLanguage), which begat
    > C++ (CeePlusPlus), which begat Java (JavaLanguage), which begat C#
    > (CsharpLanguage), ..."
    > From: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?BcplLanguage

    True.

    > "One of the key ideas was to make space efficiency, as well as time
    > efficiency, a fundamental criterion. The vehicle for achieving this
    > goal was to use a systems implementation language from the BCPL family
    > rather than LISP. (Initially, MAPLE was implemented in B on a Honeywell
    > computer but soon the C language became the obvious widely-available
    > implementation language.)"
    > From: http://www.scg.uwaterloo.ca/SCG/history.html

    True, although today there do exist Lisp-like ("functional programming")
    languages with speeds comparable to C.

    > "Most systems programming today is done in the BCPL family of
    > languages, which includes B, Bliss, and C. The beauty of these
    > languages is the modest cost with which they were able to take a great
    > leap forward from assembly language."
    > From:
    > http://www.db.informatik.uni-kassel.de/Help/pascal/einfuehrung/mod3-int.html

    True, but note that "these days" seems to refer to the mid-1980s,
    before the ISO C Standard was written. I doubt more than a hundred
    people worldwide do anything with B these days.

    > "C# / .NET is not the first language of it type. It's been developed
    > with the experience obtained from Java, C++, COM/DCOM/ActiveX, Visual
    > Basic, and others. As such it has learned from the pitfalls of those
    > languages. For reference C++ is a culmination of the experience that
    > came out of SmallTalk and the BCPL-family of languages (C++ is the 4th
    > incarnation of the BCPL-family: BCPL, B, C, and C++)."
    > From:
    > http://www.codeguru.com/forum/printthread.php?t=297444&page=2&pp=15

    True, though I doubt C++ takes much of anything from SmallTalk. IIRC,
    the object model isn't even remotely similar. But anyone who talks about
    experiences obtained from Visual Basic can't be expected to get OO history
    right. ;-)

    > Well, I had read on the web before that most common languages like C
    > C++ and Java are essentially the same

    Hah! False.

    > and part of the BCPL family.

    True, but of course Java is part of the BCPL family in the same way
    that monkeys are part of the shrew family --- it's been a /long/ time,
    and the two don't look very similar at all anymore.

    > I don't think Java is usally included as part of this family. I think
    > usually just CPL BCPL B C. I think it is common to reffere to a family
    > of languages by mentioning just one language in it. I think this is a
    > rather vauge and misleading way to talk about languages.

    All valid opinions.

    > Anyway, the
    > following diagram should better explain the relationship between
    > languages:
    > http://faramir.rug.ac.be/courses/soot1/dungeon/histlang.html

    It has some obvious oddities (obvious to me, anyway):
    Algol isn't particularly related to Fortran as far as I know. Its
    developers certainly knew Fortran, but the languages aren't very similar
    at all (and by design!). BASIC should descend from Fortran, if you ask
    me, and it certainly shouldn't be hung out there in space.
    I don't know why C++ descends partly from Simula in that diagram;
    maybe the diagrammer knew something I don't.
    The arbitrary segregation of Ada as "object based" [sic] is really
    weird.
    The diagram is missing all the major languages developed after 1988
    except for Java and C#, which points to the diagrammer's agenda. :)

    > Looking at the diagram it is odd that I read that Paskel and Modula are
    > part of the ALGO family

    That's "Pascal," as in Blaise Pascal, and ALGOL, as in the star.

    > and B and C are part of a lower level family
    > (BCPL) and Lisp is at the opposite extreme. How can someone not
    > directly in the computer science field intelligently right about this
    > stuff when the experts don't seem to keep it straight.

    Which experts have you seen who don't keep it straight? Of all the
    references you've provided, every one is correct in the major points;
    only the two C#-pushing sources get minor details wrong, and they're
    obviously supposed to be taken with a grain of salt (since they're just
    trying to show how C#.NET is better than other stuff).

    Followups set to comp.lang.misc, since this seems likely to go even
    further OT for comp.lang.c.

    HTH,
    -Arthur
    Arthur J. O'Dwyer, Apr 2, 2005