What does "DestroyJavaVM" ... waiting on condition " in thread dumpmean ?

Discussion in 'Java' started by krislioe@gmail.com, May 1, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    We have web application ruuning in OC4J application server, on peak
    load we see CPU itilization is 99.9 % and when do kill the java
    process and see the thread dump, there is this message :

    "DestroyJavaVM" prio=1 tid=0x0000002ba444a4e0 nid=0x7e58 waiting on
    condition [0
    x0000000000000000..0x0000007fbfffd2d0]

    The question is :

    My question is :
    What does the message mean ?
    Is that mean full GC is happening and to big heap to free ?
    Is this part of garbage collection process ?

    Fyi, we set the heap size for the JVM 3GB. The server physical memory
    is 12GB.

    Thank you very much,
    xtanto

    , May 1, 2009

  2. Re: What does "DestroyJavaVM" ... waiting on condition " in thread dump mean ?

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > We have web application ruuning in OC4J application server, on peak
    > load we see CPU itilization is 99.9 % and when do kill the java
    > process and see the thread dump, there is this message :
    >
    > "DestroyJavaVM" prio=1 tid=0x0000002ba444a4e0 nid=0x7e58 waiting on
    > condition [0x0000000000000000..0x0000007fbfffd2d0]
    >
    > [...] What does the message mean?

    DestroyJavaVM is a thread that unloads[1] the Java VM on program
    exit[2]. As your program did not exit[2], the thread was still
    executing at the time the thread dump was created..

    > Is that mean full GC is happening and to[o] big heap to free?

    That might have caused the high utilization, but it is otherwise
    unrelated to the remaining DestroyJavaVM thread.

    > Is this part of garbage collection process?

    No.

    [...]

    [1]<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jni/spec/invocation.html>
    [2]<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/execution.html#12.8>