What does "DestroyJavaVM" ... waiting on condition " in thread dumpmean ?

krislioe

Hi all,

We have web application ruuning in OC4J application server, on peak
load we see CPU itilization is 99.9 % and when do kill the java
process and see the thread dump, there is this message :

"DestroyJavaVM" prio=1 tid=0x0000002ba444a4e0 nid=0x7e58 waiting on
condition [0
x0000000000000000..0x0000007fbfffd2d0]

The question is :

My question is :
What does the message mean ?
Is that mean full GC is happening and to big heap to free ?
Is this part of garbage collection process ?

Fyi, we set the heap size for the JVM 3GB. The server physical memory
is 12GB.

Thank you very much,
xtanto

John B. Matthews

We have web application ruuning in OC4J application server, on peak
load we see CPU itilization is 99.9 % and when do kill the java
process and see the thread dump, there is this message :

"DestroyJavaVM" prio=1 tid=0x0000002ba444a4e0 nid=0x7e58 waiting on
condition [0x0000000000000000..0x0000007fbfffd2d0]

[...] What does the message mean?

DestroyJavaVM is a thread that unloads[1] the Java VM on program
exit[2]. As your program did not exit[2], the thread was still
executing at the time the thread dump was created..
Is that mean full GC is happening and to[o] big heap to free?

That might have caused the high utilization, but it is otherwise
unrelated to the remaining DestroyJavaVM thread.
Is this part of garbage collection process?

No.

[...]

[1]<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jni/spec/invocation.html>
[2]<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/execution.html#12.8>