What does it mean?

freesoft_2000

Hi everyone,

Sorry to ask this question but when linking to an external
style sheet people usually use the below element

<link rel = "stylesheet" type = "text/css"
href = "Test.css"

My question is what does the rel actually stand for and what is it for and
its purpose?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

jojo

freesoft_2000 said:
Sorry to ask this question but when linking to an external
style sheet people usually use the below element

<link rel = "stylesheet" type = "text/css"
href = "Test.css"

My question is what does the rel actually stand for and what is it for and
its purpose?

rel stands for relation. this attribute descirbes (oh, what surprise...)
the relation between the linked document and the document with the link,
in this case it says that the linked document is a stylesheet for the
document. other possibilities are for example "next" and "prev",
"index", (guess what they stand for...) or "shortcut icon" to link a
"favicon" (the small icon in the top left corner of the browserweindow
or the icon in the adress-bar, depends on the browser)...
HTH, jojo

richard

freesoft_2000 said:
Hi everyone,

Sorry to ask this question but when linking to an external
style sheet people usually use the below element

<link rel = "stylesheet" type = "text/css"
href = "Test.css"

My question is what does the rel actually stand for and what is it for and
its purpose?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

Or it could be short for "relative" as in a parent-child relationship.