What does this construct mean?

Casper

1. class MyController < ActionController::Base
2. helper :my_helper
3. end

I see this construct in Ruby on Rails a lot, and I don't know what is
going on in line 2.

Is this invoking a method called "helper" with the argument
":my_helper"? And if so, when does this get invoked?

Thanks.

Devin Mullins

Casper said:
1. class MyController < ActionController::Base
2. helper :my_helper
3. end

I see this construct in Ruby on Rails a lot, and I don't know what is
going on in line 2.

Is this invoking a method called "helper" with the argument
":my_helper"? And if so, when does this get invoked?

Thanks.
You are on the money. I will attempt to explain, but you should read the
PickAxe for the full Ruby goodness.

class sdgksjdgk
end

Is just a way of scoping your code. In particular, it redefines self, it
creates a new lexical scope (that is, a new binding for local
variables), it tells class variables (@@foo) where to hook up to, and it
tells method definitions where to hook up to. Run `ruby -e"p self" ` and
you'll discover that you're always inside a class...end block.

So
class Blob
puts "Hello!"
end

Prints "Hello!" How does it do that? Well, you're trying to call "puts"
which really means you're trying to call "self.puts". What's self? Well,
let's find out:

a = class Blob
self #like defs and blocks, class returns the last thing evaluated
end
=> Blob
a.class
=> Class

Self is the Class object named Blob. So when you type "puts" inside a
class block, you're calling the instance method Blob.puts. Where does
it get puts from? Well, Blob is a Class, and Class inherits Object, and
Object includes Kernel, and Kernel has a puts method defined on it.

When you write
class Blob
def murh
puts "Hello!"
end
end
you're referring to an entirely different self.puts, of course. When
"murh" actually gets invoked, self will be the Blob instance it gets
invoked on, instead of the Class instance named Blob. But when the
method is actually defined, Ruby knows to define it as an instance
method of whatever class...end block it's inside.

So, when you call helper :my_helper, bingo, you're calling a method.
Specifically, Blob.helper. Not Blob#helper, which is the instance
method, where self would be some instance of Blob -- rather this
something akin to Class#helper. (When I say "something akin to" I'm
referring to singleton classes. That's a whole 'nother email, though.)

Where is it getting helper from? Well, in short, it's getting it from
ActionController::Helpers::ClassMethods in action_controller/helpers.rb.
The long version involves explaining what singleton classes are.

Hope that helps.

Sidenote - Adanced Rubyage:

Earlier I said that class...end does more than redefine self. This is
important. Notice that, of the following two, the first works but the
second doesn't:

#1:
class Moo
@@fun = 0
def Moo.fun
@@fun += 1
puts @@fun
end
end

#2:
class Moo
@@fun
end
def Moo.fun
@@fun += 1
puts @@fun
end

Here's another example where the scope of a given thing is not dependent
on self, but dependent on what class...end block I'm inside.

class Borg
def blong
def frooz
puts 'Hi!'
end
end
end
a = Borg.new; b = Borg.new
a.frooz #=> Error
a.blong
a.frooz #=> Hi!
b.frooz #=> Hi!

If the 'def' keyword were dependent upon self, then the above would not
work. Notice that, when 'def blong' is run, self is the Class object
named Borg. When 'def frooz' is run, self is the Borg object assigned to a.

Rather, a 'def' keyword is tied to what class it's in. See the following
wacky example:

class A
end

class B
def A.moo
def moo
puts 'mooo'
end
end
end

a = A.new
b = B.new

A.moo

a.moo #=> Error
b.moo #=> mooo

But if you find a legitimate reason to do shit like that, please let me
know. I'm quite curious.

BTW, if you read a couple of threads back, class...end isn't the only
way to establish such a context. There's also Class.new and
Module#class_eval -- running 'def' inside those is like running it
inside a proper class...end block.

Oh boy. I'm feeling kinda light-headed now...

Devin

Daniel Brockman

Casper said:
1. class MyController < ActionController::Base
2. helper :my_helper
3. end

I see this construct in Ruby on Rails a lot, and I don't know what is
going on in line 2.

Is this invoking a method called "helper" with the argument
":my_helper"?
Exactly.

And if so, when does this get invoked?

When that part of the code is reached.

Class bodies are executed just like normal code, with `self' bound to
the class object, so the following example code

puts 123
class Foo ; puts self end
puts 456

produces the following output:

123
Foo
456

Casper

Devin said:
You are on the money. I will attempt to explain, but you should read the
PickAxe for the full Ruby goodness.
<snip>

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I guess two reasons that I had difficult figuring out are (1) Ruby
allows executable stuff to go where I expect to see declarations, but
moreover (2) Ruby allows method calls to have their arguments
delineated with or without parentheses. In particular, I don't
understand the why you would want this. Is there a good motivation to
allow it?

Ara.T.Howard

<snip>

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I guess two reasons that I had difficult figuring out are (1) Ruby
allows executable stuff to go where I expect to see declarations, but
moreover (2) Ruby allows method calls to have their arguments
delineated with or without parentheses. In particular, I don't
understand the why you would want this. Is there a good motivation to
allow it?

the best reason is the example you posted - one can make methods which read
like syntax additions/declarations. the built-in

class C
attr_accessor 'a'
end

which (just in case you didn't know) automatically generate accessor methods
for C objects as in

obj = C::new
obj.a = 42
p obj.a #=> 42

and this reads really nicely. another good reason to ignore parens is for
boolean methods like

if array.emtpy?
array << 42
end

i think most would agree that this looks better than

if array.emtpy?()

and of course

array << 42

looks a heck of a lot better than

array.<<(42)

remember, even '<<' is a method in ruby! then there are always methods like

element = array.pop

which just reads quite nicely without parens and last, but not least, those of
us who've detest any extra chars in code like '$', ';', and even parens. they
don't call it 'poetry' mode for nothing ;-)

cheers.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
| --Tenzin Gyatso

David A. Black

Hi --

which just reads quite nicely without parens and last, but not least, those
of
us who've detest any extra chars in code like '$', ';', and even parens.
they
don't call it 'poetry' mode for nothing ;-)

Actually, they do :) This came up on IRC recently, and I still don't
know the answer: why is the non-use of parentheses referred to as
"poetry mode", when plenty of poems contain parentheses? It's never
made any sense to me.

David

Charles Steinman

Ara.T.Howard said:
the best reason is the example you posted - one can make methods which read
like syntax additions/declarations. the built-in

class C
attr_accessor 'a'
end

which (just in case you didn't know) automatically generate accessor methods
for C objects as in

obj = C::new
obj.a = 42
p obj.a #=> 42

and this reads really nicely. another good reason to ignore parens is for
boolean methods like

if array.emtpy?
array << 42
end

i think most would agree that this looks better than

if array.emtpy?()

Or even worse if array is gotten through an accessor, in which case
you'd have "if array().empty?()", which is just rancid.

Ara.T.Howard

Hi --

Actually, they do :) This came up on IRC recently, and I still don't
know the answer: why is the non-use of parentheses referred to as
"poetry mode", when plenty of poems contain parentheses? It's never
made any sense to me.

parens, in ruby anyhow, don't do anything except specify precendence to the
interpreter - much as in mathematics. imagine if we all wrote (in hand on
paper - not in code)

a = (b + (c / 2))

it would be all line noise. i think the 'poetry' bit makes sense since poetry,
when compared to 'normal' writing is clearly an attempt to distill an ideal,
feeling, emotion, etc. into a few select words arranged to maximize there
meaning - and yet leave room for interpretation. punctuation is for clarity
where it is needed but obfusicates otherwise (as the example above shows i
think). in this sense using minimal (not none!) punctuation seems congruent
with the idea of writing poetry - at least to me. consider:

My legacy -
What will it be?
Flowers in spring,
The cuckoo in summer,
And the crimson maples
Of autumn ...

or

My legacy -
What will it be?
Flowers in spring,
The cuckoo in summer,
And the crimson maples (Of autumn).

- Ryokan (1758-1831)

kind regards.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
| --Tenzin Gyatso

Ara.T.Howard

Or even worse if array is gotten through an accessor, in which case
you'd have "if array().empty?()", which is just rancid.

amen brother.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
| --Tenzin Gyatso

Daniel Brockman

Ara.T.Howard said:
consider:

My legacy -
What will it be?
Flowers in spring,
The cuckoo in summer,
And the crimson maples
Of autumn ...

or

My legacy -
What will it be?
Flowers in spring,
The cuckoo in summer,
And the crimson maples (Of autumn).

- Ryokan (1758-1831)

Impressively fitting example!

Steven Jenkins

David said:
Actually, they do :) This came up on IRC recently, and I still don't
know the answer: why is the non-use of parentheses referred to as
"poetry mode", when plenty of poems contain parentheses? It's never
made any sense to me.

Without researching it at all, I'd guess that it traces back to an April
Fool's Joke in comp.lang.perl that was subsequently described in Chapter
7 of the Camel Book as "Perl Poetry"
(http://www.unix.org.ua/orelly/perl/prog3/ch27_02.htm). Larry feigned
innocence, but I never bought it.

Steve

David A. Black

Hi --

parens, in ruby anyhow, don't do anything except specify precendence to the
interpreter - much as in mathematics. imagine if we all wrote (in hand on
paper - not in code)

a = (b + (c / 2))

it would be all line noise. i think the 'poetry' bit makes sense since
poetry,
when compared to 'normal' writing is clearly an attempt to distill an ideal,
feeling, emotion, etc. into a few select words arranged to maximize there
meaning - and yet leave room for interpretation. punctuation is for clarity
where it is needed but obfusicates otherwise (as the example above shows i
think).

I think you'd have to go beyond (b + (c / 2)) to illustrate really
obscure or obfuscated punctuation :) In any case, one has to
conclude reluctantly that readability and clarity end up being in the
eye of the beholder. (I wish I could believe it were otherwise, but
the things done in Ruby in the name of clarity are often so unclear to
me as to force me to that conclusion :) The whole "poetry" thing, I
think, comes from something else. I don't think it's just a
compliment (calling something "poetry" because it's clear and free of
non-technically-mandated punctuation), but it can't really be about
clarity in a transcendent sense.

My favorite example of (what to me is) great unclarity introduced by
the absence of optional parentheses is:

def a b, c = 1

Of course I know enough to parse it visually, but I don't take it in
as readily in a glance as:

def a(b,c=1)

I'm not out to convince other people that their brains work the same
way mind does; but I'd definitely rule out a universal "less
punctuation makes things clearer" axiom, based on this and other
examples.
in this sense using minimal (not none!) punctuation seems congruent
with the idea of writing poetry - at least to me. consider:

My legacy -
What will it be?
Flowers in spring,
The cuckoo in summer,
And the crimson maples
Of autumn ...

or

My legacy -
What will it be?
Flowers in spring,
The cuckoo in summer,
And the crimson maples (Of autumn).

Well, you could put a bright red dot on the Mona Lisa and conclude
that red was a bad color for art because it ruined the painting :) I
don't think parentheses used by an author are a determinant of a
text's status as poetry or prose.

David

David A. Black

Hi --

Without researching it at all, I'd guess that it traces back to an April
Fool's Joke in comp.lang.perl that was subsequently described in Chapter 7 of
the Camel Book as "Perl Poetry"
(http://www.unix.org.ua/orelly/perl/prog3/ch27_02.htm). Larry feigned
innocence, but I never bought it.

I remember that example, though it still doesn't explain the equation
of the idea of "poetry mode" with lack of parentheses.

Oh well -- my curiosity stops short of being willing to trace ten
years of evolution of usage, so I guess it will remain a mystery :)

David

Ara.T.Howard

[...]

yes. that's much better.
I'm not out to convince other people that their brains work the same way
mind does; but I'd definitely rule out a universal "less punctuation makes
things clearer" axiom, based on this and other examples.

oh me too! i just tend to use less than some. it takes time, but after a
small adjustment period less can sometimes be more.
Well, you could put a bright red dot on the Mona Lisa and conclude that red
was a bad color for art because it ruined the painting :) I don't think
parentheses used by an author are a determinant of a text's status as poetry
or prose.

agreed. still - sometimes being __totally__ clear makes things less clear, if
you know what i mean.

cheers.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
| --Tenzin Gyatso

Steven Jenkins

David said:
I remember that example, though it still doesn't explain the equation
of the idea of "poetry mode" with lack of parentheses.

I don't think "poetry mode" means "parentheses prohibited". It means
"parentheses optional", as distinct from "parentheses required". And
indeed, the example poems sport numerous parentheses, all serving
essential literary purposes :).
Oh well -- my curiosity stops short of being willing to trace ten
years of evolution of usage, so I guess it will remain a mystery :)

Same here. But there's a Ph.D. just waiting for some budding pomo
cyber-linguist.

Steve

Hal Fulton

David said:
Hi --

Actually, they do :) This came up on IRC recently, and I still don't
know the answer: why is the non-use of parentheses referred to as
"poetry mode", when plenty of poems contain parentheses? It's never
made any sense to me.

I believe it's a reference to the tendency of modern poetry
to omit punctuation in general, particularly the imitators
of E. E. Cummings. (And yes, he frequently did use punctuation,
as well as capital letters.)

Hal

James Britt

Ara.T.Howard wrote:
it would be all line noise. i think the 'poetry' bit makes sense since
poetry,
when compared to 'normal' writing is clearly an attempt to distill an
ideal,
feeling, emotion, etc. into a few select words arranged to maximize there
meaning - and yet leave room for interpretation.

Interesting. I think poetry (when done well) elicits meaning from the
reader; it is a trigger, a catalyst, and the "meaning" of a poem varies
not only for each person, but for any given person at different times.

To my mind, code poetry would never run the same way on different
machines, and indeed would never run quite the same way on the same
machine, yet would still impart something of appropriate value each time.

James

Ara.T.Howard

Ara.T.Howard wrote:

Interesting. I think poetry (when done well) elicits meaning from the
reader; it is a trigger, a catalyst, and the "meaning" of a poem varies not
only for each person, but for any given person at different times.

To my mind, code poetry would never run the same way on different machines,
and indeed would never run quite the same way on the same machine, yet would
still impart something of appropriate value each time.

well, we always have

array.sort_by{ rand }

;-)

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
| --Tenzin Gyatso

Brian Candler

I guess two reasons that I had difficult figuring out are (1) Ruby
allows executable stuff to go where I expect to see declarations, but
moreover (2) Ruby allows method calls to have their arguments
delineated with or without parentheses. In particular, I don't
understand the why you would want this. Is there a good motivation to
allow it?

Probably because of the first program people see:

puts "Hello, world!"

versus:

puts("Hello, world!")

However, even this simple example highlights a problem. Insert a space
between puts and ( and you get a warning:

$ ruby -we 'puts ("Hello")'
-e:1: warning: (...) interpreted as grouped expression
Hello

$ ruby -we 'puts ("Hello","world")'
-e:1: warning: don't put space before argument parentheses
Hello
world

Even though (a,b,c) is not a valid expression when standing alone, the Ruby
interpreter has difficulty deciding whether (a) is an expression wrapped in
parentheses, or a method call argument list wrapped in parentheses.

To see where it makes a difference, try these:

$ ruby -e 'puts ("a"), ("b")'
$ ruby -e 'puts("a"), ("b")'

$ ruby -e 'puts (3+4).abs'
$ ruby -e 'puts(3+4).abs'

I think the space-sensitive behaviour is driven by this last case: i.e. that
"method1 (expr).method2" should be parsed as "method1( (expr).method2 )"
whereas "method1(expr).method2" is "(method1(expr)).method2"

Regards,

Brian.

Casper

To be honest, that the following two lines
puts (3+4).abs
puts(3+4).abs
are semantically different *feels* very broken to me. My gut says that
this is a vector for confusion and the introduction of bugs.

That being said, I'm not ready to defend the statement that it *is*
broken. I'll try to live with it for a while and see if I come around.
:)