    possible....I think I should just bin it whenever I find it. Good idea
    or not?

    BB

    Big Bill, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Big Bill

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Big Bill" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > onfocus="this.blur()"
    >
    > It's in all the urls. I can't see that it does anything. I've looked
    > at it in IE6 and Slimbrowser. It just seems to take up space and,
    > since I've been explicitly ordered to reduce the urls as much as
    > possible....I think I should just bin it whenever I find it. Good idea
    > or not?
    >
    > BB

    onfocus: when this link/control/part of the page gets clicked on (receives
    the focus)
    this.blur(): remove the focus from this link/control/part of the page

    It's probably there to keep the dotted outline from showing on a link after
    you click it in IE.

    Ryan Stewart, Apr 26, 2004

  3. "Ryan Stewart" <> wrote:

    > It's probably there to keep the dotted outline from showing on a link
    > after you click it in IE.

    It also prevents people using keyboard-only access from following the
    link. When they tab to the link, they can normally hit the enter key to
    follow the link - but onfocus="this.blur()" removes the focus before they
    do that.

    Using the nonstandard hidefocus attribute is a less destructive method of
    hiding the focus outline. However it has the drawback of "working" even
    when JavaScript is disabled.

    Removing the attributes is thus probably a good idea, but we cannot
    really _know_ that without seeing the URL. There _might_ be situations
    where the attribute does something useful, or at least harmless.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Apr 26, 2004
  4. Big Bill

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Big Bill <> wrote:

    >onfocus="this.blur()"
    >
    >It's in all the urls. I can't see that it does anything.

    Try tabbing through the links in IE. On a normal web page a dotted
    rectangle appears around each link. On a web page with the above on
    every link it doesn't.

    >It just seems to take up space and,
    >since I've been explicitly ordered to reduce the urls as much as
    >possible....I think I should just bin it whenever I find it. Good idea
    >or not?

    Good idea. It harms accessibility by making it harder for people who
    navigate via the keyboard rather than the mouse to use the page.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Apr 26, 2004
  5. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 26, 2004
  6. Big Bill

    Big Bill Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:56:55 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Quoth the raven named Big Bill:
    >
    >> I've looked at it in IE6 and Slimbrowser.

    >Since, AFAIK, Slimbrowser is just a shell for IE, why not get a couple
    >of other browsers? Some sites look markedly different in, say, a Gecko
    >browser. For starters:
    >
    >http://mozilla.org/
    >http://mozilla.org/products/firefox/
    >http://www.opera.com/

    Actually I already have those, and for a while I had Avant too but it
    tends to dominate so I dumped it. I'll take a peek. We shouldn't
    forget Netscape either now that AOL are giving it mouth-to-mouth.

    BB

    Big Bill, Apr 26, 2004
  7. Quoth the raven named Big Bill:

    > On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:56:55 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:

    >>http://mozilla.org/
    >>http://mozilla.org/products/firefox/
    >>http://www.opera.com/

    > Actually I already have those, and for a while I had Avant too but it
    > tends to dominate so I dumped it. I'll take a peek. We shouldn't
    > forget Netscape either now that AOL are giving it mouth-to-mouth.

    I can forget Netscape. <g> Their versions tend to be bloated with many
    megabytes of AOL crap. The forthcoming 7.2 is supposedly only an
    update to the 1.6 engine.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 26, 2004
  8. Big Bill

    C A Upsdell Guest

    > Quoth the raven named Big Bill:
    > I can forget Netscape. <g> Their versions tend to be bloated with many
    > megabytes of AOL crap. The forthcoming 7.2 is supposedly only an
    > update to the 1.6 engine.

    7.1 is based on the 1.4 engine. The next version (7.2?) will be based on
    1.7.

    C A Upsdell, Apr 26, 2004
  9. Quoth the raven named C A Upsdell:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I can forget Netscape. <g> Their versions tend to be bloated with
    >> many megabytes of AOL crap. The forthcoming 7.2 is supposedly
    >> only an update to the 1.6 engine.

    > 7.1 is based on the 1.4 engine. The next version (7.2?) will be
    > based on 1.7.

    Ok, that's good. I'm pretty sure I had read somewhere 7.2 was to be
    the 1.6 engine, but perhaps they've delayed it a bit to take advantage
    of the forthcoming 1.7. Thanks.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 26, 2004