def Foo():

class A(object):
def __init__(self):
pass

class B(object):
def __init__(self):
pass

PyChecker 0.8.18 warns:

foo.py:9: Redefining attribute (__init__) original line (5)

I do not understand what is meant by this warning. In fact, it
simply seems wrong -- but I have learned not to jump to that
conclusion too quickly, so I was hoping someone here could
perhaps enlighten me...

Many thanks in advance,

Peter Otten

Leo said:
When fed the following code:

def Foo():

class A(object):
def __init__(self):
pass

class B(object):
def __init__(self):
pass

PyChecker 0.8.18 warns:

foo.py:9: Redefining attribute (__init__) original line (5)

I do not understand what is meant by this warning. In fact, it
simply seems wrong -- but I have learned not to jump to that
conclusion too quickly, so I was hoping someone here could
perhaps enlighten me...

You are right, that's a false positive. pychecker seems to confuse the
namespaces.

Peter

Steven W. Orr

On 1 June 2010 21:48, Leo Breebaart <[email protected]

When fed the following code:

def Foo():

class A(object):
def __init__(self):
pass

class B(object):
def __init__(self):
pass

PyChecker 0.8.18 warns:

foo.py:9: Redefining attribute (__init__) original line (5)

Out of curiosity, why are you defining two classes inside a function?

-Xav

In terms of constructing a minimal example, Foo might be fodder for a closure
that either returns A or B. Just s stab in the dark...

--
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have .0.
steveo at syslang.net

Leo Breebaart

Not my code! Not my code! :)

This code was contributed by someone else, and I merely took my
default action (in such cases) of running pyflakes, pychecker,
and pylint on it before doing anything else, just to see what
comes up.

As far as I can tell the sole reason for that code being
structured the way it is, is to provide a kind of
module-within-a-module and not clutter up the outer module with
these helper classes needed only by the foo() function.

Terry Reedy

You are right, that's a false positive. pychecker seems to confuse the
namespaces.

Consider sending this example back to the pychecker author.
The program does not seem to be interpreting the nested class statements
properly.