What does this stack trace mean?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=, Jan 14, 2007.

  1. 2007-01-13 18:40:56,443 [7] ac.server ERROR Error - An unexpected exception for
    user: admin
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an
    obj
    ect.
    at Windward.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object
    o, Ob
    ject t, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender,
    Eve
    ntArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
    at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
    includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoin
    t, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

    None of the stack is my code so I have no idea how to figure this out. What
    is happening is I am trying to go to default.aspx and I get the Forms loging
    screen. I enter that and hit submit and then this happens.

    I did get some test code in there that logs in my user and that does succeed.

    --
    thanks - dave
    david_at_windward_dot_net

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=, Jan 14, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=

    Karl Seguin Guest

    DO you have a page called Windward? you have a null reference in your
    page_load event.

    Karl

    --
    http://www.openmymind.net/
    http://www.codebetter.com/

    Karl Seguin, Jan 14, 2007

  3. > System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of
    > an
    > obj
    > ect.
    > at Windward.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    > at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object
    > o, Object t, EventArgs e)

    You are trying to make use of a variable that is still not instantiated.
    Page under consideration is Windward.aspx

    --
    Happy Hacking,
    Gaurav Vaish | www.mastergaurav.com

    Gaurav Vaish \(MasterGaurav\), Jan 14, 2007
  4. Thank you both of you. No page named windward.aspx but the master page is
    windward.master and it has a code behind that had the problem. I never
    thought of looking there until your posts because I forgot it had code.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=, Jan 14, 2007