What Editor Do the Pros Use?

MiOc3n3

Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
designers use?
I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))

Thanks,
John

Gary

In [email protected], MiOc3n3 at
miocene*nospam*@usa.com said:
Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the
pro designers use?
I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from
scratch in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other
opinions.) :))

An editor like Homesite or for building web sites via GUI Dreamweaver is
great.

Pixel McGee

Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of
the pro designers use?
I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html
from scratch in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some
other opinions.) :))

Thanks,
John

He's probably close to the truth. Most use a simple text editor. And if
they don't write their code from scratch (ie: don't use FrontPage,
ColdFusion, etc) then they really aren't "pros".

Adrienne

Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the
pro designers use?
I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from
scratch in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other
opinions.) :))

Thanks,
John

I use HTML-Kit because it colorizes the code that I write from scratch.
Since I do a lot of development in ASP, it's important to be able to
distinguish server side code from client side markup. I suppose one
*could* use a WYSISYG, but I don't trust them. It's easier for me to hand
code than to have to go back later to debug bloated tag soup some editor
spit out.

e n | c k m a

Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
designers use?
I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))

Thanks,
John

Speaking of editors, has anyone tried out TopStyle Pro 3.1 lately? It's
brilliant!
I thought it was really cool for CSS and XHTML development [especially for
standards compliancy].

Anyway, check it out if you get the time.
www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/ I think that's the URL.

Nick.

Kevin Scholl

MiOc3n3 said:
Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
designers use?
I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))

Doesn't really matter. Any application is but a tool, what really
matters is the person using it. That is to say, if one knows how to use
an app properly, their results can be as good as any other.

That said, I think with any reasonable research you'd find that
color-coded text editors are popular for dynamic coding (ASP, PHP, JSP,
etc.), while Dreamweaver factors heavily in the mix for generating
simple HTML templates/files.

Kevin Scholl
(e-mail address removed)

Jim Royal

MiOc3n3 said:
Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
designers use?
I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))

I use BBEdit and hand-write all my page templates. For small sites, I
hand-write the entire site. It's not so bad when you use CSS-P and
server-side includes.

For large sites, I use a graphical tool for automation, although I keep
bouncing back and forth between DreamWeaver and GoLive.

Augustus

MiOc3n3 said:
Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
designers use?
I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))

I use Visual InterDev... I would suspect that most (but not all)
programmers who work with ASP use Visual InterDev/Visual Studio

As for writing HTML from scratch in Notepad... I think everybody who
considers themselves a pro at this should be able to code by hand, but that
doesn't mean they have to.

Personally, I don't really care what "most pros" use.... I do what I do and
I appear to be quite successful at it - I think if there is something that
makes you more productive and makes your work easier then it would be very
unprofessional to NOT use just because you thought it would be
unprofessional if you did

Clint

David Dorward

MiOc3n3 said:
Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
designers use?
I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from
scratch in Notepad.

Emacs for designing templates, and (lately) Amaya to knock out text (which I
then double check by hand).

Nico Schuyt

MiOc3n3 said:
Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of
the pro designers use?

I use FrontPage. Tested about every other editor but didn't find a more
efficient one.
Cheers, Nico

Gerry Nance

From: "MiOc3n3" miocene*nospam*@usa.com
Newsgroups: alt.html
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:56:58 -0400
Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
designers use?
I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))

Thanks,
John

I write HTML from scratch in Notepad.
You get Notepad Free with Windows.
You have total control over your HTML input. You have no "overhead" script, as
you get with MS Word. The page loads faster.

Gerry Nance

www.fossilfishcomputers.com

Southern California

Matthias Gutfeldt

MiOc3n3 said:
Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
designers use?

I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))

Depends on your and your colleague's definition of "most" and "pro
designers". Personally, I use Dreamweaver and NoteTab for both HTML and CSS.

Writing HTML from scratch? I don't believe it. Most people can't even
write a Doctype declaration correctly. Perhaps what he really meant is
"cut and paste the code from a similar page and work with that".

Matthias

Headless

e said:
Speaking of editors, has anyone tried out TopStyle Pro 3.1 lately? It's
brilliant!

I have tried it, and I disagree. It lacks many things that I consider
essential in an editor: http:/www.headless.dna.ie/homesite_401.htm
I thought it was really cool for CSS and XHTML development [especially for
standards compliancy].

Imo the only really useful feature of TS is it's ability to track orphan
CSS classes, but that feature breaks hopelessly if multiple classes are
used, so much for what originated as a "specialized CSS editor".

Alternative stylesheets anyone? Oops, also not supported.
IIRC imported stylesheets weren't recognized <3.1, tssss.

Headless

Sid Ismail

: Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
: designers use?
: I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
: in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))

Depending on the task,
EditpadLite, Aranaea, Dreamweaver

Sid

Chris Morris

MiOc3n3 said:
Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
designers use?
I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))

He's probably nuts about the Notepad bit. Some sort of plain text
editor, though, *especially* if they're doing server-side scripts in
with it.

I use emacs, and have a keyboard shortcut bound to switch between html
and php syntax highlighting. Works for me, I can see emacs not being
to everyone's taste, though.

Alan D-W

MiOc3n3 said:
Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
designers use?
I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))
I use Homesite for HTML/ASP if I'm in Windows, a great editor,
colour-coding, etc, and it'll also open any text file, such as source files
from just about any programming language.

If I'm wearing my Red Hat I use the Bluefish editor.

Alan