What Editor Do the Pros Use?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by MiOc3n3, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. MiOc3n3

    MiOc3n3 Guest

    Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
    designers use?
    I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
    in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))

    Thanks,
    John
     
    MiOc3n3, Aug 19, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. MiOc3n3

    Gary Guest

    In bhrsmt$2if8v$-berlin.de, MiOc3n3 at
    miocene*nospam*@usa.com said:

    > Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the
    > pro designers use?
    > I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from
    > scratch in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other
    > opinions.) :))


    An editor like Homesite or for building web sites via GUI Dreamweaver is
    great.
     
    Gary, Aug 19, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. MiOc3n3

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Aug 19, 2003
    #3
  4. MiOc3n3

    Pixel McGee Guest

    "MiOc3n3" <miocene*nospam*@usa.com> wrote in
    news:bhrsmt$2if8v$-berlin.de:

    > Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of
    > the pro designers use?
    > I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html
    > from scratch in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some
    > other opinions.) :))
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John
    >
    >
    >


    He's probably close to the truth. Most use a simple text editor. And if
    they don't write their code from scratch (ie: don't use FrontPage,
    ColdFusion, etc) then they really aren't "pros".

    --
    Pixel McGee
    "The world is coming to an end. Please log off."
     
    Pixel McGee, Aug 19, 2003
    #4
  5. MiOc3n3

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "MiOc3n3"
    <miocene*nospam*@usa.com> writing in
    news:bhrsmt$2if8v$-berlin.de:

    > Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the
    > pro designers use?
    > I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from
    > scratch in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other
    > opinions.) :))
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John
    >
    >
    >


    I use HTML-Kit because it colorizes the code that I write from scratch.
    Since I do a lot of development in ASP, it's important to be able to
    distinguish server side code from client side markup. I suppose one
    *could* use a WYSISYG, but I don't trust them. It's easier for me to hand
    code than to have to go back later to debug bloated tag soup some editor
    spit out.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    Please respond to the group so others can share
    http://www.arbpen.com
     
    Adrienne, Aug 19, 2003
    #5
  6. >
    > Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
    > designers use?
    > I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from

    scratch
    > in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John
    >


    Speaking of editors, has anyone tried out TopStyle Pro 3.1 lately? It's
    brilliant!
    I thought it was really cool for CSS and XHTML development [especially for
    standards compliancy].

    Anyway, check it out if you get the time.
    www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/ I think that's the URL.

    Nick.
     
    e n | c k m a, Aug 19, 2003
    #6
  7. MiOc3n3

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    MiOc3n3 wrote:

    > Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
    > designers use?
    > I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
    > in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))


    Doesn't really matter. Any application is but a tool, what really
    matters is the person using it. That is to say, if one knows how to use
    an app properly, their results can be as good as any other.

    That said, I think with any reasonable research you'd find that
    color-coded text editors are popular for dynamic coding (ASP, PHP, JSP,
    etc.), while Dreamweaver factors heavily in the mix for generating
    simple HTML templates/files.

    --

    *** Remove the DELETE from my address to reply ***

    ==================================================
    Kevin Scholl

    --------------------------------------------------
    Web Development and Graphic Design
    http://www.interimag.com/~kscholl/professional/
    --------------------------------------------------
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers
    of the dreams...
    ==================================================
     
    Kevin Scholl, Aug 19, 2003
    #7
  8. MiOc3n3

    Jim Royal Guest

    In article <bhrsmt$2if8v$-berlin.de>, MiOc3n3
    <miocene*nospam*@usa.com> wrote:

    > Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
    > designers use?
    > I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
    > in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))


    I use BBEdit and hand-write all my page templates. For small sites, I
    hand-write the entire site. It's not so bad when you use CSS-P and
    server-side includes.

    For large sites, I use a graphical tool for automation, although I keep
    bouncing back and forth between DreamWeaver and GoLive.

    --
    Jim Royal
    "Understanding is a three-edged sword"
    http://JimRoyal.com
     
    Jim Royal, Aug 19, 2003
    #8
  9. MiOc3n3

    Augustus Guest

    "MiOc3n3" <miocene*nospam*@usa.com> wrote in message
    news:bhrsmt$2if8v$-berlin.de...
    > Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
    > designers use?
    > I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from

    scratch
    > in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))


    I use Visual InterDev... I would suspect that most (but not all)
    programmers who work with ASP use Visual InterDev/Visual Studio

    As for writing HTML from scratch in Notepad... I think everybody who
    considers themselves a pro at this should be able to code by hand, but that
    doesn't mean they have to.

    Personally, I don't really care what "most pros" use.... I do what I do and
    I appear to be quite successful at it - I think if there is something that
    makes you more productive and makes your work easier then it would be very
    unprofessional to NOT use just because you thought it would be
    unprofessional if you did

    Clint
     
    Augustus, Aug 19, 2003
    #9
  10. MiOc3n3 wrote:

    > Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
    > designers use?
    > I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from
    > scratch in Notepad.


    Emacs for designing templates, and (lately) Amaya to knock out text (which I
    then double check by hand).

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/
     
    David Dorward, Aug 19, 2003
    #10
  11. MiOc3n3

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    MiOc3n3 wrote:
    > Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of
    > the pro designers use?


    I use FrontPage. Tested about every other editor but didn't find a more
    efficient one.
    Cheers, Nico
     
    Nico Schuyt, Aug 19, 2003
    #11
  12. MiOc3n3

    Gerry Nance Guest

    >From: "MiOc3n3" miocene*nospam*@usa.com
    >Newsgroups: alt.html
    >Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:56:58 -0400


    >
    >Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
    >designers use?
    >I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
    >in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))
    >
    >Thanks,
    >John


    I write HTML from scratch in Notepad.
    You get Notepad Free with Windows.
    You have total control over your HTML input. You have no "overhead" script, as
    you get with MS Word. The page loads faster.




    Gerry Nance

    www.fossilfishcomputers.com

    Southern California
     
    Gerry Nance, Aug 19, 2003
    #12
  13. MiOc3n3 wrote:
    > Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
    > designers use?
    >
    > I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
    > in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))


    Depends on your and your colleague's definition of "most" and "pro
    designers". Personally, I use Dreamweaver and NoteTab for both HTML and CSS.

    Writing HTML from scratch? I don't believe it. Most people can't even
    write a Doctype declaration correctly. Perhaps what he really meant is
    "cut and paste the code from a similar page and work with that".


    Matthias
     
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Aug 19, 2003
    #13
  14. MiOc3n3

    Headless Guest

    e n | c k m a wrote:

    >Speaking of editors, has anyone tried out TopStyle Pro 3.1 lately? It's
    >brilliant!


    I have tried it, and I disagree. It lacks many things that I consider
    essential in an editor: http:/www.headless.dna.ie/homesite_401.htm

    >I thought it was really cool for CSS and XHTML development [especially for
    >standards compliancy].


    Imo the only really useful feature of TS is it's ability to track orphan
    CSS classes, but that feature breaks hopelessly if multiple classes are
    used, so much for what originated as a "specialized CSS editor".

    Alternative stylesheets anyone? Oops, also not supported.
    IIRC imported stylesheets weren't recognized <3.1, tssss.


    Headless

    --
    Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm
     
    Headless, Aug 19, 2003
    #14
  15. MiOc3n3

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:56:58 -0400, "MiOc3n3" <miocene*nospam*@usa.com>
    wrote:

    : Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
    : designers use?
    : I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
    : in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))

    Depending on the task,
    EditpadLite, Aranaea, Dreamweaver

    Sid
     
    Sid Ismail, Aug 19, 2003
    #15
  16. MiOc3n3

    Chris Morris Guest

    "MiOc3n3" <miocene*nospam*@usa.com> writes:
    > Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
    > designers use?
    > I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
    > in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))


    He's probably nuts about the Notepad bit. Some sort of plain text
    editor, though, *especially* if they're doing server-side scripts in
    with it.

    I use emacs, and have a keyboard shortcut bound to switch between html
    and php syntax highlighting. Works for me, I can see emacs not being
    to everyone's taste, though.

    --
    Chris
     
    Chris Morris, Aug 19, 2003
    #16
  17. MiOc3n3

    Alan D-W Guest

    "MiOc3n3" <miocene*nospam*@usa.com> wrote in message
    news:bhrsmt$2if8v$-berlin.de...
    > Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
    > designers use?
    > I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from

    scratch
    > in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :))
    >

    I use Homesite for HTML/ASP if I'm in Windows, a great editor,
    colour-coding, etc, and it'll also open any text file, such as source files
    from just about any programming language.

    If I'm wearing my Red Hat I use the Bluefish editor.

    Alan
     
    Alan D-W, Aug 19, 2003
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Kumar Vijay Mishra

    PSL pros and cons

    Kumar Vijay Mishra, Sep 29, 2004, in forum: VHDL
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,653
    vhdlcohen
    Oct 2, 2004
  2. Benny
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    455
    Paul Wistrand
    Mar 1, 2004
  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

    I really need a pros help here

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Dec 9, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,966
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=
    Dec 10, 2004
  4. Stylus Studio
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    767
    Stylus Studio
    Aug 3, 2004
  5. I. Myself
    Replies:
    39
    Views:
    2,790
    Chaddy2222
    May 31, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page