What editor for javascript?

Billy Smith

I want to program a few small, stand-alone utility scripts in javascript
to run in Windows Script Host. What is a good, free text editor
that has line numbers and is otherwise convenient for coding
javascript?

Thanks,
Billy

RobG

Billy Smith said on 21/04/2006 2:19 PM AEST:
I want to program a few small, stand-alone utility scripts in javascript
to run in Windows Script Host. What is a good, free text editor
that has line numbers and is otherwise convenient for coding
javascript?

I use shareware EditPlus: <URL:http://www.editplus.com/> you should pay
for it (USD30) if you keep using it.

For more, Google 'JavaScript free text editor'. Some results, in no
particular order:

HAPedit: <URL:http://hapedit.free.fr/>

PSPad: <URL:http://www.pspad.com/>

Webniac: <URL:http://www.futureality.net/webniac/>

Arachnophilia: <URL:http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/>

HTML-Kit + javascript plugin: <URL:http://www.chami.com/html-kit/>

[on]

RobG said:
I use shareware EditPlus: <URL:http://www.editplus.com/> you should pay
for it (USD30) if you keep using it.

For more, Google 'JavaScript free text editor'. Some results, in no
particular order:

HAPedit: <URL:http://hapedit.free.fr/>

PSPad: <URL:http://www.pspad.com/>

Webniac: <URL:http://www.futureality.net/webniac/>

Arachnophilia: <URL:http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/>

HTML-Kit + javascript plugin: <URL:http://www.chami.com/html-kit/>

Here are some more:

UltraEdit (shareware): <URL:http://www.ultraedit.com/>

SciTE (free): <URL:http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html>

evolvEd (free): said:

SciTE is real nice, when you enable Monospaced Fonts and Linenumbers
(off by default for some reason).

Never used evolvEd, but it's free so why not post it.

UltraEdit, I'm sure you've heard of, everyone rants about how good it
is. Shareware though.

testdll

It's the best powerful visual AJAX IDE I've seen before. You can
develope your web application in it just like what you do in VB or
Delphi based on its powerful AJAX components libs. And it

also support sourceinsight and it's compatible with IE, Firefox and
Maxthon. Above of all, it's unrelevant with server side.

Here is free trial. http://eng.joyistar.com

[on]

It's the best powerful visual AJAX IDE I've seen before. You can
develope your web application in it just like what you do in VB or
Delphi based on its powerful AJAX components libs. And it

also support sourceinsight and it's compatible with IE, Firefox and
Maxthon. Above of all, it's unrelevant with server side.

Here is free trial. http://eng.joyistar.com

Fyi: Maxthon is IE.

I don't mind you plugging the IDE you've made, but you could atleast
change the text you paste from time to time. Like this time, the user
requested information about a "editor" for JavaScript/AJAX and you
still pasted the same old text as you always do, you could have given
more information.

optimistx

I use often simultaneusly in a computer with 4 displays:

1) eclipse with js-plugin , recommended by Pointed Ears (thanks!)
http://www.eclipse.org/ and plugin from http://www.interaktonline.com/

2) html-kit with js-plugin,
http://html-kit.com

3) php-designer
http://www.mpsoftware.dk/ (found this using: http://www.php-editors.com/ )

All are free to download.

All have their weaknesses and strengths, and together almost all the desired
features are there. I wish there were 1 program with all the best features
of those 3.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Billy said:
I want to program a few small, stand-alone utility scripts in javascript
to run in Windows Script Host. What is a good, free text editor
that has line numbers and is otherwise convenient for coding
javascript?

Metapad, vim, Eclipse (with JSEclipse plugin). In order of download/install
and project size.

PointedEars

Ronaldo Junior

Billy said:
I want to program a few small, stand-alone utility scripts in javascript
to run in Windows Script Host. What is a good, free text editor
that has line numbers and is otherwise convenient for coding
javascript?

I used to use Crimson Editor but I stopped for some reason, a bug that
I don't remember now.

Currently I'm using SciTE. It's free, lightweight, with syntax
highlighting (depending of the API you download with it, but there are
ready-to-go packages) and some nice features, like folding and
abbreviation.

electrician

I have tried many and Microsoft FrontPage is the best all round
Javascript/html editor and it has a debugger built in. It costs but it
is worth it!
Many will disagree, but many have not paid for a good product. They
insist on free products.

Randy Webb

(e-mail address removed) said the following on 4/26/2006 12:16 AM:
I have tried many and Microsoft FrontPage is the best all round
Javascript/html editor and it has a debugger built in. It costs but it
is worth it!

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But, from past post
from you your opinion doesn't mean a whole lot.
Many will disagree, but many have not paid for a good product. They
insist on free products.

So, if I disagree with you and say that FP is junk, are you saying that
because I say that I insist on a free product?

FP is junk, always has been junk, and unless someone else takes over its
development it will always be junk.

And yes, I have FrontPage. Doesn't mean I use it but I have it.