"what ever happened to Scribe?"

Discussion in 'XML' started by Sean Champ, Sep 20, 2003.

  1. Sean Champ

    Sean Champ Guest

    Hello.

    This qualifies more as a post about a structured document language, but, at
    least, XML is a subset of that topic-group; also, I think that some folks,
    who frequent this list, may be familiar with the thing that I'm looking for
    more details about.

    In short:

    I'm hoping that someone may know of Scribe, and might have, or may know of,
    some publicly-available info about the semantics of the Scribe document
    language.

    I'm hoping to reformat some Scribe-able *.mss files as DocBook XML --
    really, to make a full, if non-validating, Scribe-to-DocBook formatting engine.

    The full overview:

    There's a project that was once in-operation at Carnegie Mellon University,
    called Garnet. It's now being maintained in the GarnetLisp project at
    SourceForge [see http://sourceforge.net/projects/garnetlisp ]

    The documentation for Garnet, in its source form, is in some *.mss files,
    which, I've come to understand, were used with a document-processing system
    called Scribe.

    Though there are some good PostScript versions for all of those *.mss files,
    still, I was hoping that some DocBook XML could be made of them --
    to be able to get some HTML out of it, and to make the documentation
    more maintainable in the source form (not that it needs updating,
    necessarily, but .. well, as a 'matter of principle').

    The Scribe format is rather intelligible, thankfully. Given a source *.mss
    document and a final postscript document, and one can sort of
    reverse-engineer it, enough to figure out what some of the Scribe
    @directives() are for. Still, there is some ambiguity I've found about it,
    and I want to get it on-the-mark here.

    So: Would anyone happen to know of any documents that might offer details
    about the syntax and semantics of Scribe structure and formatting
    @directives()?

    [as it happens, the Scribe, which they used with the Garnet docs, is not
    the scribe that is available via
    http://www-sop.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Scribe/scribe.html
    though that one may be of some interest]

    thanks much.

    --
    Sean Champ

    Sean Champ, Sep 20, 2003

  2. Sean Champ

    David Dubin Guest

    Sean Champ <> writes:

    [...]
    > I'm hoping that someone may know of Scribe, and might have, or may
    > know of, some publicly-available info about the semantics of the
    > Scribe document language.

    [...]
    > So: Would anyone happen to know of any documents that might offer
    > details about the syntax and semantics of Scribe structure and
    > formatting @directives()?

    You'll want to look at the user manual and the database
    administrator's manual. The full titles are as follows:

    Scribe document production system, database administrator's guide

    Scribe document production system user manual

    Both were published by Unilogic, Ltd. of Pittsburgh, PA. There were
    also various supplements published for new versions.

    Inter-library loan is probably your best bet for getting your hands on
    these manuals. I'd check the online catalogs for the Univ. Pitt and
    CMU libraries for full citations, then contact your local ILL
    librarian.

    Dave Dubin
    Electronic Publishing Research Group
    David Dubin, Sep 20, 2003

  3. Sean Champ

    Sean Champ Guest

    thanks; Re: "what ever happened to Scribe?"

    David Dubin <> wrote:
    > You'll want to look at the user manual and the database
    > administrator's manual. The full titles are as follows:

    > Scribe document production system, database administrator's guide

    > Scribe document production system user manual

    > Both were published by Unilogic, Ltd. of Pittsburgh, PA. There were
    > also various supplements published for new versions.

    > Inter-library loan is probably your best bet for getting your hands on
    > these manuals. I'd check the online catalogs for the Univ. Pitt and
    > CMU libraries for full citations, then contact your local ILL
    > librarian.

    thank you, much; i'll look for 'em.

    --
    Sean Champ