    (among others who are still around). I sure miss their segacity.

    --
    jay
    jaysome, Aug 19, 2006

  2. jaysome

    Malcolm Guest

    "jaysome" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know what ever happened to Lawrence Kirby and Dan Pop and Kaz?
    > They used to be some of the most influential posters here on c.l.c
    > (among others who are still around). I sure miss their segacity.

    The nature of Usenet is that people come and go. Lawrence Kirby made a brief
    reappearance recently, then vanished again. Dan Pop lost his job at CERN, I
    believe, and there has been no more news of him. Kaz graduated, again he
    made a brief reappearance.
    Usenet tends to be time consuming. I've banned myself from posting from
    university, for example, because I know that if I do I will never achieve
    anything of scientific value. Once wives and children come on the scenes, or
    you have the misfortune to land a job with an employer who actually has work
    he expects you to do, posting rates can fall.
    --
    www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm
    freeware games to download.
    Malcolm, Aug 19, 2006

  3. Malcolm wrote:
    > "jaysome" <> wrote in message
    > > Anyone know what ever happened to Lawrence Kirby and Dan Pop and Kaz?
    > > They used to be some of the most influential posters here on c.l.c
    > > (among others who are still around). I sure miss their segacity.
    > >

    > The nature of Usenet is that people come and go. Lawrence Kirby made a brief
    > reappearance recently, then vanished again. Dan Pop lost his job at CERN, I
    > believe, and there has been no more news of him. Kaz graduated, again he
    > made a brief reappearance.

    Hopefully they'll both reappear someday. They're sorely missed.

    > Usenet tends to be time consuming. I've banned myself from posting from
    > university, for example, because I know that if I do I will never achieve
    > anything of scientific value. Once wives and children come on the scenes, or
    > you have the misfortune to land a job with an employer who actually has work
    > he expects you to do, posting rates can fall.

    True. However, some of us still have a karmic bond to repay to
    comp.lang.c. The unforgiving pedantry joined with the terse
    wordsmithings of the C gurus influenced my technical upbringing in
    non-insignificant ways.

    Mark F. Haigh
    Mark F. Haigh, Aug 19, 2006
  4. jaysome

    CBFalconer Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > "jaysome" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Anyone know what ever happened to Lawrence Kirby and Dan Pop and Kaz?
    >> They used to be some of the most influential posters here on c.l.c
    >> (among others who are still around). I sure miss their segacity.

    > The nature of Usenet is that people come and go. Lawrence Kirby
    > made a brief reappearance recently, then vanished again. Dan Pop
    > lost his job at CERN, I believe, and there has been no more news
    > of him. Kaz graduated, again he made a brief reappearance.

    Another missee is Bob Stout. I suspect Dans problems have
    something to do with his diplomacy skills, but it is surprising
    that nobody has seized him for his knowledge.

    --
    "The power of the Executive to cast a man into prison without
    formulating any charge known to the law, and particularly to
    whether Nazi or Communist." -- W. Churchill, Nov 21, 1943
    CBFalconer, Aug 19, 2006
  5. jaysome

    jacob navia Guest

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > I suspect Dans problems have
    > something to do with his diplomacy skills

    Yes, I would say so.

    Somehow, however, it is a pity that Usenet communities
    must be so brittle.

    You can disappear and nobody will ever care.

    Not very reassuring.
    jacob navia, Aug 19, 2006
  6. jaysome

    osmium Guest

    "CBFalconer" writes:

    > Another missee is Bob Stout. I suspect Dans problems have
    > something to do with his diplomacy skills, but it is surprising
    > that nobody has seized him for his knowledge.

    Bob Stout? He must ge *way* back.

    The one I miss is Karl Heinz Buchegger (sp?) who posted mostly on
    a.c.l.l.c-c++

    He had insights into the learning process and how to teach that was
    absolutely tops. He would talk about what the poster's actual current
    problem was instead of digressing to a mind numbing list of minutiae, side
    tracks, gotchas, legalese and dead ends. And he had the patience to draw
    ASCII art diagrams when useful. He was in Austria but his English was
    better than most Americans I know. One day he simply disappeared, an
    irreplaceable loss to the newsgroup..
    osmium, Aug 19, 2006
  7. jaysome

    Malcolm Guest

    "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    > Malcolm wrote:
    >> "jaysome" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Anyone know what ever happened to Lawrence Kirby and Dan Pop and Kaz?
    >>> They used to be some of the most influential posters here on c.l.c
    >>> (among others who are still around). I sure miss their segacity.

    >> The nature of Usenet is that people come and go. Lawrence Kirby
    >> made a brief reappearance recently, then vanished again. Dan Pop
    >> lost his job at CERN, I believe, and there has been no more news
    >> of him. Kaz graduated, again he made a brief reappearance.

    > Another missee is Bob Stout. I suspect Dans problems have
    > something to do with his diplomacy skills, but it is surprising
    > that nobody has seized him for his knowledge.

    The sad thing is that "people people" are often cynical and manipulative,
    whilst it is the undiplomatic sort who are better at real relationships.
    Let's hope he's found another job.
    Malcolm, Aug 19, 2006
  8. jaysome

    Default User Guest

    jaysome wrote:

    > Anyone know what ever happened to Lawrence Kirby and Dan Pop and Kaz?
    > They used to be some of the most influential posters here on c.l.c
    > (among others who are still around). I sure miss their segacity.

    Kaz posts on comp.lang.c++ from time to time.

    Brian
    Default User, Aug 20, 2006
  9. jaysome

    Len Philpot Guest

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 09:33:45 -0700, osmium wrote:

    > "CBFalconer" writes:
    >
    >> Another missee is Bob Stout. I suspect Dans problems have
    >> something to do with his diplomacy skills, but it is surprising
    >> that nobody has seized him for his knowledge.

    > Bob Stout? He must ge *way* back.

    Bob was no longer on c.l.c. AFAIK by the time I started lurking (mid
    '90s more or less). He moderated the FIDO C_ECHO for years along with a
    few others, including Auke Reitsma who passed away a couple of years
    ago. From everything I saw, RBS was/is a good guy, always willing to
    help.
    --

    ---- Len Philpot -------- l e n @ p h i l p o t . o r g (no spaces)
    ------- ><> ------------- http://members.cox.net/lenphilpot/
    Len Philpot, Aug 20, 2006
  10. Len Philpot <> writes:
    > On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 09:33:45 -0700, osmium wrote:
    >> "CBFalconer" writes:
    >>> Another missee is Bob Stout. I suspect Dans problems have
    >>> something to do with his diplomacy skills, but it is surprising
    >>> that nobody has seized him for his knowledge.

    >> Bob Stout? He must ge *way* back.

    > Bob was no longer on c.l.c. AFAIK by the time I started lurking (mid
    > '90s more or less). He moderated the FIDO C_ECHO for years along with a
    > few others, including Auke Reitsma who passed away a couple of years
    > ago. From everything I saw, RBS was/is a good guy, always willing to
    > help.

    Google says his last posting to comp.lang.c was August 8, 1997 (which
    predates my regular participation here).

    Keith Thompson, Aug 20, 2006