What exactly do you get in .net sdk ?

Rich

Hi all,
new to .net, downloaded framework 1.1 and downloading sdk, which I can
use with c# and vb.net, which is brilliant, but I also notice that there is
vc++.net available, does this come as part of the sdk ?? even if only the
c++.net compiler or does the sdk provide only c# and vb.net compilers??

I already have Visual Studio 6, which I only use for C++ and VB, and want to
start using .net if only to try and keep up with the latest offerings, I am
looking at C#, but from what I have read so far, it is only a real contender
to Java, and not C++ .

Rich

Ok thanks for that info Ed,

now I am wondering how I can do either of these things.

I was reading the info on the link you sent, and it seems that it might be a
bit tricky to have bothe VC++6 and VC.net installed on one machine, since
they both seem to use nmake ( not a problem ? ) and the same compiler name
cl.exe, so would anyone know how easy/impossible it would be to use VS6 and
use ide to compile C++.net code ??, the idea of an ide is not that
important, as I am fairly used to using command line to compile C++, but
more importantly, is it going to be possible to have both C++ .net and VC6
running in harmony side by side ? or is this going to be a bit
difficult/impossible ?

TIA

Ed Kaim [MSFT]

The SDK doesn't come with an IDE.

The 6.0 and .NET SDKs and tools can be installed and used side-by-side
without any problems.

John Smith

The SDK doesn't come with an IDE.

No, but he might to want check out "DbgCLR.exe" which is useful for those on
a budget (shipped with .NET SDK)