What happened to Eval, Execute and ExecuteGlobal

Guest

I have been trying to get find where the simple Eval function that was such a
great little function in asp has gone. There does not appear to be any
replacement. Is this possible??

I was using this in a number areas in my asp app and when I have gone to
upgrade I can't seem to find any similiar functionaility - There must be
something out there?

I noticed that datalist has an Eval - is this similiar - it appears to
evaulate things at run-time - could this be used as a replacement.

I can't believe that it is impossible - you are meant to be able to create
web controls - and if I am correct that the datalist has an eval, than it
should be possible to buid Eval functionality into any control - just can't
find anything on this one.

Any help would be great.

Lucas Tam

I was using this in a number areas in my asp app and when I have gone
to upgrade I can't seem to find any similiar functionaility - There
must be something out there?

Is there a reason to use the Eval function at all??? When you use such a
function, code is not compiled, thus making it slower.
I can't believe that it is impossible - you are meant to be able to
create web controls - and if I am correct that the datalist has an
eval, than it should be possible to buid Eval functionality into any
control - just can't find anything on this one.

You can use CodeDom:

http://www.west-wind.com/presentations/dynamicCode/DynamicCode.htm

Kevin Spencer

ASP is a procedural scripting technology, and the eval() function makes
sense in a procedural scripting technology. It does NOT make sense in an
object-oriented, compiled technology.

Even though ASP and ASP.Net have some things in common, they are actually
quite different. If you try to use ASP.Net like ASP, you will have great
difficulty. I know it is hard to adapt to a new programming paradigm, but
there are only 2 real choices: (1) Learn the new programming paradigm, or
(2) stick to ASP.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Paranoia is just a state of mind.

Bruce Barker

only javascript.net still supports the eval (as its part of the language).
there are currently no ms scripting solutionas available for .net, maybe
sometime in the future.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)