What Happened

Wayne Wengert

I have an aspx page that was working (honest!). I was adding some features
and some validation code and all of a sudden I am getting the following
errors:
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WBA_StaffControls\frmFindBand.aspx.vb(101): Handles
clause requires a WithEvents variable.
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WBA_StaffControls\frmFindBand.aspx.vb(108): Name
'txtSearchFor' is not declared.

The relevant HTML code below shows that btnFind and txtSearchFor are both
IDs of controls. What the heck is going on?

<asp:table id="Table1" style="Z-INDEX: 103; LEFT: 7px; POSITION: absolute;
TOP: 179px" tabIndex="-1"
runat="server" BorderWidth="0px" BorderStyle="None" BorderColor="Black"
Width="381px" Height="81px">
<asp:TableRow>
<asp:TableCell ColumnSpan="1" HorizontalAlign="Center">Last Name to
Search For:&nbsp;&nbsp;
<asp:TextBox runat="server" Height="20px" Width="139px"
ID="txtSearchFor" style="Z-INDEX: POSITION: relative;"></asp:TextBox>
</asp:TableCell>
</asp:TableRow>
<asp:TableRow>
<asp:TableCell HorizontalAlign="Center">
<asp:Button runat="server" Width="66px" ID="btnFind" Height="22px"
Text="Find" style="Z-INDEX: 105; POSITION: relative; "></asp:Button>
</asp:TableCell>
</asp:TableRow>
</asp:table>

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

You didn't show us the codebehind where the Handles clause is said to be
missing. An older version of VS.NET sometimes removed that clause, so you
might want to check there.

Wayne Wengert

I went back to a backup copy and that works? I expect I messed something up
without realizing it.

Wayne