what happens when typing http://hostname:portnumber

Mori

Hi all,

Just out of curiosity.

Some applications on the web run when you type
http://hostname:portnumber.
Does this start an applet, a servlet, EJB, etc?

Does this mean that the whole web application is implemented as
servlet(s) for instnace?

Thnx,

Flen

Gordon Beaton

Some applications on the web run when you type
http://hostname:portnumber.
Does this start an applet, a servlet, EJB, etc?

Does this mean that the whole web application is implemented as
servlet(s) for instnace?

It just means that the web server isn't listening on the standard
portnumber (80).

/gordon

Michael Borgwardt

Mori said:
Some applications on the web run when you type
http://hostname:portnumber.
Does this start an applet, a servlet, EJB, etc?

Does this mean that the whole web application is implemented as
servlet(s) for instnace?

I means nothing at all except that if you get an answer there was some
sort of application that understands HTTP listening to that port on that
host. It might be a simple webserver that delivers a static HTML page
with an embedded applet, one that forwards the call to a servlet container
which then runs a servlet to generate the output, it might forward it
via GCI to a program written in just about any programming language ever
conceived, or it might even be a custom program that lauches an ICBM and
starts the third world war.

Mori

Michael Borgwardt said:
I means nothing at all except that if you get an answer there was some
sort of application that understands HTTP listening to that port on that
host. It might be a simple webserver that delivers a static HTML page
with an embedded applet, one that forwards the call to a servlet container
which then runs a servlet to generate the output, it might forward it
via GCI to a program written in just about any programming language ever
conceived, or it might even be a custom program that lauches an ICBM and
starts the third world war.

Thanks for the info. Interesting & funny too!
But how on the server machine can I assign a web application to run
(listen) on a certain port on the server machine?
Regards and thnx again,
Mori

Thomas Schodt

Mori said:
how on the server machine can I assign a web application to run
(listen) on a certain port on the server machine?

At the lowest level we care about; check out the ServerSocket class.

Less technical; the web application most likely has a configuration
parameter that tells it what port it is to listen on.